New Pickups - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Exclamation New Pickups

i wanna change the pickups on my Ibanez rg120. i know that i want a seymore duncan dimebucker sh-13 in the bridge. what pickup would be a good match for it to put in the neck position thats passive? i've heard good things about dimarzio... any opinions???? thanks

-Carlos...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:53 PM

Re: New Pickups

Ugh... Don't mix DiMarzio with SD man. It's like a crime against nature.

I've owned the Dimebucker for about 8 years and just sold recently. Not many tonal options with that one. But if you want a dimebucker with more balls go with an X2N with maybe a PAF Pro in the neck. Personally I'd steer clear of a crazy high output pickup if you've only been playing a year. It's going to cover up all your mistakes and effectively stunt your growth as a player. I'd go with a Tone Zone in the bridge and either a D-Activator X or a PAF Pro in the neck. Just my two cents.

But if you must go with the Dimebucker, a '59 or a Jazz would pair up nicely with it.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingDead View Post

I've owned the Dimebucker for about 8 years and just sold recently. Not many tonal options with that one. But if you want a dimebucker with more balls go with an X2N with maybe a PAF Pro in the neck. Personally I'd steer clear of a crazy high output pickup if you've only been playing a year. It's going to cover up all your mistakes and effectively stunt your growth as a player. I'd go with a Tone Zone in the bridge and either a D-Activator X or a PAF Pro in the neck. Just my two cents.

But if you must go with the Dimebucker, a '59 or a Jazz would pair up nicely with it.
...so many things wrong with this post...

OP - You can put whatever pups you want in it, its your guitar. The dimebucker is a VERY bright pickup, so if thats your thing, fine. High output pickups wont obscure your mistakes and more than low output ones.

Neck pickups, have a look at the seymour duncan custom 5.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 06:33 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:

My only problem with mixing a X2N with a PAF Pro, is the drastic output changes you'll have going from one pickup to the next. I'd suggest pairing a X2N with a Breed neck, or Evolution neck, they are close enough in output that it won't seem like your signal just got killed going from the X2N to something else.

It's something a newbie might not dig and throw them off with such a output level drop.

And yeah I can hear a difference between my swirl Jem with all Evolutions vs. my other swirl with a FRED and PAF Pro. Switching back and forth between the two guitars you can tell the tonal qualities change and the Evo's are alot hotter.

That being said, I prefer the FRED and PAF pro swirl Jem. Just sounds better to me. I've been playing for 15 years and I know enough that having something like the X2N and a PAF Pro would drive me nuts. To each their own though.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
...so many things wrong with this post...

OP - You can put whatever pups you want in it, its your guitar. The dimebucker is a VERY bright pickup, so if thats your thing, fine. High output pickups wont obscure your mistakes and more than low output ones.

Neck pickups, have a look at the seymour duncan custom 5.
Opinions are never wrong my friend. But feel free to disagree.

And high output pups DO help cover up mistakes/sloppy playing. Someone who plays through EMG's constantly will hear a lot more of their actual playing through, say, single coils therefor bringing out all the mistakes they couldn't hear before.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirled777 View Post
My only problem with mixing a X2N with a PAF Pro, is the drastic output changes you'll have going from one pickup to the next. I'd suggest pairing a X2N with a Breed neck, or Evolution neck, they are close enough in output that it won't seem like your signal just got killed going from the X2N to something else.

It's something a newbie might not dig and throw them off with such a output level drop.

And yeah I can hear a difference between my swirl Jem with all Evolutions vs. my other swirl with a FRED and PAF Pro. Switching back and forth between the two guitars you can tell the tonal qualities change and the Evo's are alot hotter.

That being said, I prefer the FRED and PAF pro swirl Jem. Just sounds better to me. I've been playing for 15 years and I know enough that having something like the X2N and a PAF Pro would drive me nuts. To each their own though.
Yeah I've actually never paired a PAF Pro with an X2N but I do have a D-Activator X (same output) and an X2N in one guitar and it sounds great to me. Not a huge volume drop or anything.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 09:00 PM

OR hey you could always put a Tone Zone in the neck with the X2N like Michael Romeo!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 09:25 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
OR hey you could always put a Tone Zone in the neck with the X2N like Michael Romeo!
Funny, I just installed a Super Distortion(bridge) and Tone Zone(neck) in my JS20S and I completely love the sound and vibe that guitar gives off. It went from mediocre(with the AH1 and AH2 pickups) to a full on shreds your face off type tone. I've heard of guys putting Tone Zone's in the neck, figured I'd give it a whirl. I'm glad I did the combo.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirled777 View Post
Funny, I just installed a Super Distortion(bridge) and Tone Zone(neck) in my JS20S and I completely love the sound and vibe that guitar gives off. It went from mediocre(with the AH1 and AH2 pickups) to a full on shreds your face off type tone. I've heard of guys putting Tone Zone's in the neck, figured I'd give it a whirl. I'm glad I did the combo.
Awesome! Yeah I was a little hesitant about it at first but I think I'll give it a try one day. I bought an old Dean Hollywood Z a few years ago that had a reverse version of that going on (X2N in the neck!). That sound was... Well... Unique.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:19 AM

upgrading pickups in a rg120?

wow, you must REALLY love that guitar. sorry if this sounds snobby, but i would feel that a better axe would be worthy of a pickup change. it seems your going to drop in some pickups that will be worth as much or more than the instrument they are going in. don't get me wrong, i did it in the past and well, i got rid of that axe, but not before i yanked my dimarzios out of it.

rich
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:20 AM

btw, i have found TZ's in neck to be quite dark, but YMMV. darkest i like to go is air norton.

rich
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Opinions are never wrong my friend. But feel free to disagree.

And high output pups DO help cover up mistakes/sloppy playing. Someone who plays through EMG's constantly will hear a lot more of their actual playing through, say, single coils therefor bringing out all the mistakes they couldn't hear before.
Have you ever actually owned an EMG equipped guitar, and do you understand how they work?

EMGs are low output pickups boosted by an internal preamp. In my experience they're HARDER to handle than a lot of other pickups due to the extra high end, particularly the 81, which picks up hand noise and sloppy playing like a bitch.

Not that it matters. The amount of distortion you use has far, far more effect on how muddy your sound is than most pickups.

Also, opinions are never wrong, but they can be horribly uninformed, and you didn't phrase your post as opinion in the slightest, you flat out TOLD the OP a bunch of bull****.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Have you ever actually owned an EMG equipped guitar, and do you understand how they work?

EMGs are low output pickups boosted by an internal preamp. In my experience they're HARDER to handle than a lot of other pickups due to the extra high end, particularly the 81, which picks up hand noise and sloppy playing like a bitch.

Not that it matters. The amount of distortion you use has far, far more effect on how muddy your sound is than most pickups.

Also, opinions are never wrong, but they can be horribly uninformed, and you didn't phrase your post as opinion in the slightest, you flat out TOLD the OP a bunch of bull****.
yup, EMGs are pretty darn sensitive, but are pretty sterile sounding to my ears. i could never really get fully into them for guitar and owned 3 guitars with them. love them for bass, but i liked the organic vibe of passives for guitar. emgs are very high gain and have many pluses, but what it all comes down to is personal taste. some guys are EMG devotees and passive haters. nothing wrong with either school of thought. some like pizza and some like burgers.

rich
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 02:17 PM

new pickups thinking also---gordy

i have a gax70 that rocks---i wouldnt waste my time with a duncan pickup---the dimarzios are what i am eyeing----the powersounds are better than the duncans in my opinion---i tried an "invader" in the bridge-----sounded fatter, but lost brilliance compared to stock pickup.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 02:18 PM

you dont know what you are talking about---keeping a guitar and upgrading is better for a real player

Tags
pickup switching

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode