Are the new Prestige Wizards any different then older models?!? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Are the new Prestige Wizards any different then older models?!?

In terms of thickness?!?

Im just curious if Ibanez has deviated from prior specs and made the necks any thicker or different?!?

As well, is the PGM Prestige neck of similar specs?!? Im curious as to it's width and depth?!?

Thanks for any help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 03:26 PM

Re: Are the new Prestige Wizards any different then older models?!?

Yes there are a few differences. Most notable is the fact that they no longer Scarf the headstock (make the headstock and glue it to the neck) but now make the necks with the bump where the headstock meets the neck (i don't know the official name for this so someone please enlighten me). I find the bump of unknown name to be uncomfortable. In terms of thickness i find them to be a little thicker. My preference is the old necks.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Thats great, thicker is better for myself.

Now I need to decide if I want an RG1570, or a RGA121..... Or maybe an RGT220 :s
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 10:00 AM
GAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigugly
Yes there are a few differences. Most notable is the fact that they no longer Scarf the headstock (make the headstock and glue it to the neck) but now make the necks with the bump where the headstock meets the neck (i don't know the official name for this so someone please enlighten me). I find the bump of unknown name to be uncomfortable. In terms of thickness i find them to be a little thicker. My preference is the old necks.
The 'bump' is called a volute, it's there for strength purposes and so that there's a bit more 'meat' for the nut screws that's all.As for it feeling uncomfortable, unless you have huge hands it's hardly noticable and then only at the first fret position ! The new necks are much stronger - headstock scarfs are generally inferior strength wise.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 09:56 PM

The shape of the necks, except for the volute thing, is exactly the same.
But there have always been small differences between some necks of the same kind, a tolerance for up to 1mm (but it is unusual that it is that much) either way.

For example, the old RG560 had most of the time thinner necks then the RG550 and the 550 had a bit thinner then the 570 (not always, but most of the time). But they were all supposed to be the same. I have plenty of RG guitars with Wizard necks, and I think I would have a problem finding two that are exactly the same, it is very, very small differences, but they are there. Also, the third Rg1527 I got had 1.5mm thicker neck then my other two.

I think it is great that there are small nuances that separate one guitar from another and gives them more personality (if a guitar can have that, not sure about it :-) ).
The only time that is frustrating is when you want to find an exact backup for a favourite instrument, ask Vai about that one :-)
All guitars will feel, sound and react a little different from the others.

But as a quick answer, no, they haven’t change anything on the shape/size on the Wizard necks. But the shape is the only thing that haven’t changed, so it is not just the volute (but that is the only thing you can feel), they are built with a completely different construction then the old ones. They now use a construction described by themself like this “5pc. Maple/ Walnut Neck Material”. I could not find any good pics of that, but you can see it a bit on the second picture from the left on the RGA121 on this page http://www.ibanez.com/prestige/ , but on the picture is a 3pc neck instead of a 5pc. It is just a more solid way to build necks, they get less sensitive to weather and climax changes and are less likely to warp.

My English is bad, so it is hard to explain, but go to a shop and try one, and you will directly see what I mean, it is noting you can feel, just see.
It is too hard to explain the exact difference between the old and new neck constructions and why it is better now, with my English. So I hope some English speaking guy can take over here :-)

To end this, I like the new necks better because they feel better out of the box, they have a bit rounder fretboard edges, like a well played guitar old guitar. And they feel a bit more stable to play, witch you especially will notice when you do a tour were you travel a lot with the guitar (or just travel without a tour).

And a last thing, you people how have problem with the volute, how do you hold yoir hands when you play?
I have to play way up on the head to even feel it a little.

/Magnus
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag

And a last thing, you people how have problem with the volute, how do you hold yoir hands when you play?
I have to play way up on the head to even feel it a little.

/Magnus
Same here - maybe it's psychological for some people lol.

~M
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 10:43 AM

The new necks are definately different as of 2005. From 03 to 04, they still feels like the old wizards to me but starting 2005, they actually felt more like Wizard II. Slightly thicker and rounder overall.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 09:25 PM

Reviews: 1

i think the new ones are rounder, but the flatness is still in there...
JJ
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 10:08 PM

It definitely feels different than the old RG neck, so different that I too wondered if the spec of the Wizard neck had been changed - but I guess that is not the case.

However, there feels like there is a difference in the finish of the neck.

Some might say that QC at Ibanez has helped to improve the feel of their necks. I would agree.

Call me nuts.

Tags
walnut neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode