New Project 540P - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

New Project 540P

I just got this 540P hardtail body in the mail today from Nate Perle. It's one piece of Poplar, supposed to sound similar to Alder, IDK we'll see I guess.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, It needs very little finish sanding, no filling and I think it has some cool grain to it...

Plan on doing a light ebony stain on it so the dark streaks on the back aren't an issue.

I have a bound MIJ RG470 neck, an Evo Bridge and a FRED for the neck both white with black pole pieces. That's as far as I've got this planned out; here's some pics

Last edited by Swirltop; 03-30-2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: I moved the pics...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 11:47 PM

Reviews: 25
Re: New Project 540P

Awesome... I will be watching..

I just finished my 540pii project and im in love with it. The sound is mental (in a good way) and the playability is fantastic.....

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 11:51 PM

my jem copy body is poplar. I enjoy it. It is soft, not as soft as basswood but it sounds good. It is sorta similar to alder in sound.

I am really happy with the way the guitar sounds and it took a finish well and looks great.

I have also used poplar around the house for shelves and it takes stain extremely well too. Something darker works best because it evens out the greens and greys of the wood. I stained my shelves ebony and they look fantastic.

either way i don't think you will be disappointed.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 PM

stupid double post....

that body is so cool i had to post about it twice.

i was like damn do you smell smoke because your body is on fire
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 02:52 PM

Reviews: 15

Staying tuned for this one! I kinda want to do a 7 string version.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM

^ Ditto! Been contemplating buying one of his 7-string 540P's

Subscribed to this one.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:58 PM

any black stain is going to bring the grain out and really show the streaks,,unless you go totally blacked out. I actually like that streak for some reason. I will be watching this thread though : )
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Awesome... I will be watching..

I just finished my 540pii project and im in love with it. The sound is mental (in a good way) and the playability is fantastic.....
Funny you should put a pic of your 540 in here since checking out your thread made me start thinking about getting one myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
my jem copy body is poplar. I enjoy it. It is soft, not as soft as basswood but it sounds good. It is sorta similar to alder in sound.

I am really happy with the way the guitar sounds and it took a finish well and looks great.
All I have any more are Basswood RG's so I figured I needed something a little different. New wood new body style, should sound different at least...

For some reason this body style looks a little different (in a good way) in person than in pics. It's a little smaller than I was expecting but it really fits the style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
Staying tuned for this one! I kinda want to do a 7 string version.
Ahh man a 7 string version of this body would be killer... The body shape seems like a perfect match for a 7 string metal machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
any black stain is going to bring the grain out and really show the streaks,,unless you go totally blacked out. I actually like that streak for some reason. I will be watching this thread though : )
Actually I just did one application of the ebony stain a little while ago, let it sit for about 15 mins and wiped off the excess. You can hardly tell that streak was there anymore. It's pretty evenly matched... I'll put up some pics tomorrow of it after it's all dry. I was surprised it covered it up so quickly...

I think I'm going to just do Tung Oil over the stain and see how that turns out... It would be a shame to cover up a nice one piece chunk of wood like this with a thick layer of 2k and I don't feel like waiting 2 months for nitro to cure
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
Funny you should put a pic of your 540 in here since checking out your thread made me start thinking about getting one myself

All I have any more are Basswood RG's so I figured I needed something a little different. New wood new body style, should sound different at least...

For some reason this body style looks a little different (in a good way) in person than in pics. It's a little smaller than I was expecting but it really fits the style.

Ahh man a 7 string version of this body would be killer... The body shape seems like a perfect match for a 7 string metal machine

Actually I just did one application of the ebony stain a little while ago, let it sit for about 15 mins and wiped off the excess. You can hardly tell that streak was there anymore. It's pretty evenly matched... I'll put up some pics tomorrow of it after it's all dry. I was surprised it covered it up so quickly...

I think I'm going to just do Tung Oil over the stain and see how that turns out... It would be a shame to cover up a nice one piece chunk of wood like this with a thick layer of 2k and I don't feel like waiting 2 months for nitro to cure

cool, like i said the black/ebony looks great on all the shelves i did and yeah it does even it out the color without losing the grain pattern.

the only disadvantage to a simple tung oil finish is poplar is a softer wood. if you baby it, it should be fine but you will notice it dents easily if you ever do hit the body against something.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

So here's some pics after one wipe of stain. I was thinking a little darker, but I really like the way it is now. It has kind of a rustic unfinished look to it that in person it looks a lot better. Not sure yet, may go a little darker. But that big black/green streak is almost gone as it is...

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 PM

Talking Re: New Project 540P

following this one
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 12:45 AM

That streak covered up nicely. I was wondering how that was going to look! Awesome.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 AM

that looks great! now i want one
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
That streak covered up nicely. I was wondering how that was going to look! Awesome.
Yeah man I was really surprised that it covered up so good with just one app of the stain. The way it looks now is really growing on me now I'm really happy with it.

I tore apart the donor RG421 last night and the aged hardware from that looks awesome with the aged look of the guitar as it is. The neck looked way to light and reddish in color so I've done 2 coats of the ebony stain on the board and it's coming along really great. One more coat and it will look like an ebony board with rosewood grain and match the guitar body much better.

Here's a pic with 2 coats on it...

Here's the color it was before the stain.... looks much better now IMHO

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 05:21 PM

Reviews: 120

This should come out very nicely. Great work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode