New pups for a RG1570? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:07 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: New pups for a RG1570?

+1 on Air Norton. Awesome pickup!!
Edit: Im also using a RG1570.
Twin Laney 120w TFX3 Amp
Zoom Gt9.2tt pedal

I would recommend a Tone Zone in the bridge.
Paul Gilbert used on in Mr Big. Emailed him before getting mine last month and he said he still uses them and loves them enormously!
Petrucci used TZ's before the SS.

The SS has the mids taken out which is very metal sounding. Great for DT, but you can get the same sound with a TZ using an eq for metal, which you would do anyway.

Lots of Vai sounds in there too!
There are complaints that its too bassy on basswood guitars, but its all personal taste and depends on your setup, eq and amp!

Trust me, listen to some of the tracks on the dimarzio website, mine sounds exactly like the track "1990".
HUGE round tone.

As for middle pickup:
-------------------
I got a HS-2, its a standard pickup. Ibanez customs use Blue Velvets in exactly the TZ, BV and AN combo. Must be good reason.

The bluevelvet is more powerful and more thinner, but just bring the HS-2 closer to the pickups. Also, I dont know anyone who uses positions 2,3,4 for DT sounds anyway, so you get a nice blues / paul gilbert crunch using those.
Besides, he now uses stock ibanez pickups ( 3 singles or the humbucker + 2 singles combo ) which are almost exactly the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

I finally bought an Evo2 bridge and Evo neck from Gus and Toshiro, waiting for them to arrive this week. Out of habit however, I'll probably never use the mid pickup... maybe I'll remove it altogether, but will need to find a way to cover up the cavity without killing my RG's sweet looks and finish :P

Alternatively, I could get a good mid pickup like the Blue Velvet and use the mid positions whenever I need strat tones.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:54 AM

You should not do that .
You just have to lower it too the max so is not in the way of your picking and not wire it.
You would have to put a pickguard otherwise if you don't want something ugly (nb depending on your finish a custom pickguard could do great I think MRB MRR Idon't like suede balck).

And maybe you could do some custom wiring to allow more sounds from your dual humbucker set up.
I always want to try this:
1 bridge humbucker
2 bridge split (the coil close to the bridge)
3 both pick up split (tele like)
4 neck split (the coil close to the neck)
5 neck humbucker

Vigier provides a model wired that way (indus) and it sounds interesting even if only two position are humbucking (NB you would need a special selector).
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

The mid pickup can't be lowered too much, but I'll worry about that later. While installing the DiMarzios I'm planning to split the humbuckers in position 2.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:29 AM

If it really bother you I'm sure that a MRR or MRB with a matching mirror pick-guard (deep blue or red) would be a looker (but I like pick-guard on RG ).
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 11:51 PM

Reviews: 4

That's a hard one...

Bridge:
- SD JB TB-4
- DiM Evo2
Greal all round pickups. The JB is very versatile and natural sounding. The Evo 2 is very articulate and has fabulous dynamics.

Neck:
- SD Jazz SH-2n
- SD '59 SH-59n
- DiM PAF Pro
- DiM Air Norton
I have never tried a Jazz. But I know it's good. The '59 is fantastic: resembles very much the Air Norton, it's the mid between single-coil and hum sound. The PAF Pro is very versatile, neck or bridge, and it's a bit more "balsy" than the Air Norton.

Middle:
- SD STK-S4
- DiM HS-2
- DiM FastTrack 1
I have bought two STK-S4s but I haven't installed them yet. The DiM's are both humcancelling (HS-2 is stacked, FT1 is rail) and both are very vintage single-coil sounding. Fantastic!

I hope this clears your mind a bit...
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks man, I'm installing an Evo in the neck to see how it goes. If that doesn't work out well I'll try the Air Norton or PAF Pro next.

I'm planning to eliminate the mid pickup eventually, so I'll keep the stock S1 until then. Thanks for your suggestions however
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 06:10 PM

I've read somewhere on this forums that the evos dont fit in a 1570.. that's too bad for me because I already had a evo bridge waiting for that guitar..

Has anyone else had this problem? how do you solve it?
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Since many are using this thread as reference, I have to let you guys know I ended up trading that RG1570 in for an RG2550E.

But yeah, I have heard of issues installing Evos in the RG1570... you could first try removing any foam that's in the pickup cavity. If that still doesn't give you enough string clearance I guess you'll have to get out some tools to make way for it I haven't done this before so wait for someone more experienced to reply.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rub_800 View Post
I've read somewhere on this forums that the evos dont fit in a 1570.. that's too bad for me because I already had a evo bridge waiting for that guitar..

Has anyone else had this problem? how do you solve it?
I'm one of the people who posted about this. I too have a 1570, and got a great deal on an Evo so I was going to give it a try. The way that my guitar is setup, there was no way to make it work well. Screwed down fully there was still not enough clearance for the higher strings. The would ring out but were WAY too close for comfort. The Evo neck was no better- actually a little worse.

I emailed Dimarzio and they seemed confused by my situation, so I don't know if all 1570s would have this problem. I could shim the neck a bit, or route for the Evo and it wouldn't be that big of a deal. If the Evos were my favoritest pickups of all time (bff) or something I would go throuight this trouble. But I just happened to have them around- more of an experiment. So I got a nice PAF Pro (my favorite) and that worked much better. Those couple of mm make all the difference! Let me know if you have any other questions- I'm still in pickup experimental phase, so I'll probably have a few more stories to come (my NOS VS-1 is on the way).

Off the topic, the 1570 is the best guitar money I've spent on a new instrument ever.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 11:57 PM

OK- I got my Dimarzio VS-1 today and threw it in the mid position. It sounds wonderful- very stratty. Just the kind of single coil tone I wanted. Not too noisey either. Blends nicely with the PAF Pro, but really shines by itself with a little overdrive (playing through a 2-12" tube combo). In short, I'm thrilled with it.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
Let me know if you have any other questions- I'm still in pickup experimental phase, so I'll probably have a few more stories to come (my NOS VS-1 is on the way).

Off the topic, the 1570 is the best guitar money I've spent on a new instrument ever.
Now it's a fact. I'm going to put an evo brigge in my 1570. The stock pickup is just not enough for me. I contacted a friend who knows how to work with wood, so I need to know how much wood I need to remove? Do I need to drill new holes for screws or what?.. If you or anyone has info please share it..

I'm going to put a PAF in the neck but I think this pickup doesn't have these issues.. rigth?
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:06 PM

No one?
I'll have to do the mods next week because I'm have some gigs with my band later and need my guitars to be ready. Please help me!!

Tags
air norton , basswood body , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , breed bridge , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge position , bridge pup , custom pickguard , evo bridge , higher strings , ibanez pickups , jumbo frets , neck humbucker , neck split , paf pro , paul gilbert , pickup cavity , pickup height , rosewood fingerboard , strat style , strat tone , tone zone , tremolo system , tube combo , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode