New pups for a RG1570? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Question New pups for a RG1570?

Hello there... I'm new to the forum, and got my first Ibanez today after being a Jackson and Fender user for years.

I was forced to return my fairly new Jackson DK2M because there was a problem with the tremolo system I couldn't fix, and since DK2M's are out of stock in the UK I decided to buy the RG1570 which was about 100 more.

The RG1570 is better than the DK2M in most aspects, but the rosewood fingerboard is not as good as maple and more importantly, the tone plain sucks Muddy, bad sustain and weak harmonics - I changed strings and adjusted pickup height but there's hardly any difference. So, after spending 475 on this guitar I'm in the market for new pickups :/ Any other RG1570 users felt the same about the stock pups?

I'm mostly into 80's rock and metal - Dream Theater, Europe, Whitesnake, Mr.Big, Journey, Slayer, Pantera, Ozzy, early Metallica etc. but I play a lot of Satriani too. Thing is I really liked the sound of my DK2M (JB TB4 + SH2N Jazz) but I'm curious about how they compare to DiMarzios (which I've never used before).

For the neck I'm considering the SH2N or Air Norton, but I can't decide between a JB and a DiMarzio FRED or Steve for the bridge. Suggestions?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:58 PM

Re: New pups for a RG1570?

the pickups arent the best no..
if your a DT fan who loves to play metal also, try the Evo bridge and air nortan neck.
the Evo has MASSIVE output and nice cleans, and the air nortan has the creamy, thick lead tones
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:19 PM

id say breed bridge/neck or steves special/air norton, I also have a 1570 and when comparing it to a KE3, the 1570 felt a lot more solid and better, however the pups are no SD lol, however I dont find them reeaaally bad and have found some great sounds with those pups and I play exactky the same kind of music that you play, but I think Im gonna end un changig them for breeds
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 PM

I would highly suggest the Air Norton in the neck + the Norton in the bridge position. There are a good number of guys over at the Dimarzio Forum who love the Norton for older 80's hair metal and stuff. It's got that Van Halen/Satriani vibe and sounds very similar to the Duncan JB without the honkiness.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:00 PM

I put a Duncan Custom and a Jazz Neck (both with t bucker spacing) in mine...they rip.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce View Post
I would highly suggest the Air Norton in the neck + the Norton in the bridge position. There are a good number of guys over at the Dimarzio Forum who love the Norton for older 80's hair metal and stuff. It's got that Van Halen/Satriani vibe and sounds very similar to the Duncan JB without the honkiness.
+1 to this combo, Air Norton in the neck + the Norton in the bridge position.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Wonderful, thanks for the numerous replies! Based on these recommendations, an Air Norton is definitely going in the neck... will try to hear samples of the Norton and Steve's special for the bridge before deciding. I gotta tell you though, I'm leaning towards the Steve because Petrucci uses it :P

As well, most of my previous guitars have been fitted with dual humbuckers and the RG1570 is the first with a mid pickup. Should I change that as well, or just keep it as a dummy and use the DiMarzios I get?

Thanks again!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 04:42 AM

EVO2 and EVO neck.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Looks like I'll be testing an Evo bridge + neck first... trying to strike a deal with a couple of JEM members This will allow me to test a pair of used Nortons too... will be looking out for them next.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanrio View Post
As well, most of my previous guitars have been fitted with dual humbuckers and the RG1570 is the first with a mid pickup. Should I change that as well, or just keep it as a dummy and use the DiMarzios I get?

Thanks again!
I've heard alot of members recommending the Blue Velvet, but personally I just left mine stock because I rarely use it.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks southpaw, I'll probably do the same since the humbuckers will do most of the work for me anyways.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanrio View Post
...I gotta tell you though, I'm leaning towards the Steve because Petrucci uses it :P
Mario,

John uses the DSonic currently. And it is a superb pick-up, well balanced. You should definitely try it out instead of the SSpecial whose main characteristic is being considerably scopped. My suggestion is don't necessarily think of getting completely canned on your 80's metal sound using a particular pickup. Rather, get something really good and flexible so that you can adjust to different bands' sounds tweaking your rig, and not depend so much on the pickup sound. The Evo2, Evolution, or the Breed are great alternatives as well.

p.s. MODS: Suggest this is moved over to the Pup's section.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 08:40 PM

I use a '91 570 (strat style switching & PU's) which I think, is quite similar. I installed a PAF (neck) and a FRED (bridge) both are Dimarzio; and it improved the guitar greatly. I play through a MESA F-100. I get good crunch and latitude from the change. Clean is very fine as well.

The neck is rosewood, jumbo frets and I think...a basswood body. All around, a nice guitar. All original except for the PU change.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 09:20 PM

I have a '98 570 with a gibson 57 classic in the neck and a fred in the bridge, no mid pup. I really like the 57 classic. the fred is a little to brittle sounding. I want something warmer, less honk. I am looking at the air classic, or norton for my bridge pup.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 07:58 AM

+1 to SS/AN combo.

Tags
air norton , basswood body , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , breed bridge , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge position , bridge pup , custom pickguard , evo bridge , higher strings , ibanez pickups , jumbo frets , neck humbucker , neck split , paf pro , paul gilbert , pickup cavity , pickup height , rosewood fingerboard , strat style , strat tone , tone zone , tremolo system , tube combo , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode