New pu's for my RG - I want a Malmsteen sound from it... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

New pu's for my RG - I want a Malmsteen sound from it...

Would it be impossible to get a Yngwish sound out of my H-S-H RG(550EX)
Iīd put a HS-3 in middle, but in humbucker positions??
I donīt want it to be a total Yngwie ripoff or so and I like humbuckers so how do I get something in his style, is there anything that would sound nice Yngwie style in humbuckers???? Or would I need single coils?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 04:04 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
New pu's for my RG

adding a coil-splitter for the humbuckers would go a long ways and cost all of $10 in parts

that is... assuming the humbuckers are 4-wire models... glen

(Edited by jemsite at 4:05 pm on Mar. 4, 2002)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

New pu's for my RG

Quote:
jemsite on 4:04 pm on Mar. 4, 2002
adding a coil-splitter for the humbuckers would go a long ways and cost all of $10 in parts

that is... assuming the humbuckers are 4-wire models... glen

(Edited by jemsite at 4:05 pm on Mar. 4, 2002)
It doesnīt cost more!!?
Wow!!

But what humbucker to split for the sound I want?

I heard something about building a humbucker of two single coils....but that canīt be true because only one coil is supposed to have magnetism right??

So which humbucker would be best you think, Iīll go over and look at the diagrams at DiMarzio's homepage and try to compare the humbuckers to the HS-3 =)
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

New pu's for my RG

I heard about the Multibucker now which simply is a chopper and a fast track 1 in a humbucker shell... which you can set to Chopper only, fast track 1 only or both...then I could get single coil sound and humbucker sounds... the Fast Track seems to be a little like the HS-3, I compared the diagrams, what do you think?? I LOVE both his lead and rythm sound, I heard he uses a les paul for rythm sometimes but mostly his strat I think... Which pu does he use most? neck??
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

New pu's for my RG

I just found out Malmsteens pu's (at least the HS-3) is stacked humbuckers!!
That means I shouldnīt have any problem to find similar sound in a humbucker....but the multibucker seems cool anyways.... I especially love his sound on the album Magnum Opus!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 11:26 AM

New pu's for my RG

A regular bucker is *basically* 2 single coils together; both are active coils. *A STACKED bucker is designed to sound like a single but without hum - it has one active coil & one dummy coil. *The fast track & similar ones are true humbuckers with 2 active coils; they just fit it all in a single coil sized space.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

New pu's for my RG

Quote:
JESTER700 on 11:26 am on Mar. 5, 2002
A regular bucker is *basically* 2 single coils together; both are active coils. *A STACKED bucker is designed to sound like a single but without hum - it has one active coil & one dummy coil. *The fast track & similar ones are true humbuckers with 2 active coils; they just fit it all in a single coil sized space.
But since the multibucker has a Fast Track and a Chopper which is both REAL humbuckers I would still not get any single coil sound, right?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 02:55 PM

New pu's for my RG

You should think about a replacement pickguard by Chandler. They make an RG550 replacement with 3 singles. Then you could put YJM's or HS-3's in there.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

New pu's for my RG

Quote:
Xing Cztarre on 2:55 pm on Mar. 5, 2002
You should think about a replacement pickguard by Chandler. They make an RG550 replacement with 3 singles. Then you could put YJM's or HS-3's in there.
I donīt know if I would like to do that, I love Yngwie's sound but I like versatility, I like Vai's sound too, but the only time his not just playing around was in Alcatrazz and Whitesnake....

I think thereīs alot of great sounds from a humbucker but what are the requirements for a Malmsteen sound?? A strat? single coils? I have to think about it but I have a RG550EX so the pickguard is in a special metallic color that might be hard to find a pickguard in, it could loose some looks without it........
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

New pu's for my RG

I donīt have the perfect solution...
Some people suggested; Bridge: PAF Pro Middle: HS-2 Neck: Humbucker From Hell
Others to get a new pickguard from Chandler or Jeannie Pickguards....
But none of them seem that perfect, what should I do???
Iīm sad..... :*(
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 11:02 AM

New pu's for my RG

I'm a huge Malmsteen disciple and have written some neoclassical instrumental stuff myself. I don't particularly like the tone and feel of Strats. *However, on the few recordings I've done I've recorded with a Strat b/c it was either that or a maple bodied ESP g.lynch which is way too bright and crunchy for a smooth instrumental. *

Tony Macalpine used all kinds of humbuckers back in the day. *if you've ever read the Yngwie interview where he was in a room listening to players and commenting...he thought that one of Tony's songs was something that he had recorded earlier and forgot about. * Also, Timo Tollki of Stratavarius uses emg pickups and often his sound reminds me very much of Yngwie's. Surprising? Maybe not so much since emgs are so clear that in that respect they are almost like single coils. *So, it's possible to sound like Yngwie with humbuckers. It's more your playing and your amp that will change the tone moreso than your pickups.

My recommendation for you is to get a Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell. *It's a goofy name, since the pickup isn't a screaming, distorted pickup at all. It is ultra clear and relatively bright. *Is there any particular reason you don't just want to get the YJM dimarzio pickup other than it requires a new pickguard? That would obviously be the easiest solution but if you're stuck on humbuckers then get a humbucker from hell.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

New pu's for my RG

Quote:
Tigerstripe on 11:02 am on Mar. 7, 2002
I'm a huge Malmsteen disciple and have written some neoclassical instrumental stuff myself. I don't particularly like the tone and feel of Strats. *However, on the few recordings I've done I've recorded with a Strat b/c it was either that or a maple bodied ESP g.lynch which is way too bright and crunchy for a smooth instrumental. *

Tony Macalpine used all kinds of humbuckers back in the day. *if you've ever read the Yngwie interview where he was in a room listening to players and commenting...he thought that one of Tony's songs was something that he had recorded earlier and forgot about. * Also, Timo Tollki of Stratavarius uses emg pickups and often his sound reminds me very much of Yngwie's. Surprising? Maybe not so much since emgs are so clear that in that respect they are almost like single coils. *So, it's possible to sound like Yngwie with humbuckers. It's more your playing and your amp that will change the tone moreso than your pickups.

My recommendation for you is to get a Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell. *It's a goofy name, since the pickup isn't a screaming, distorted pickup at all. It is ultra clear and relatively bright. *Is there any particular reason you don't just want to get the YJM dimarzio pickup other than it requires a new pickguard? That would obviously be the easiest solution but if you're stuck on humbuckers then get a humbucker from hell.
I just heard a 11 minutes long solo improvisation by Stratovarius guitarist and drummer!! Itīs awesome!!!!! His tone rules too!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 10:04 PM

New pu's for my RG

if you're into Yngwie'esque sounds search on your computer to find Chris Impellitteri's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" instrumental remake. *It's one of the best electric guitar moments ever recorded in my opinion. *It's also a pretty convincing reason to go get a dimarzio hs-3 pickup because his tone on that is the smoothest, most *beautiful singing lead tone i've ever heard.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2002, 12:50 AM

New pu's for my RG

If you don't want to install YJMs or HS-3s, then I would experiment with amp settings and pickup split settings. *I screwed around with my amp using less gain, more reverb, some delay, split my humbucker on my Jem and compared it to my Strat with the YJM in it. *I think I got pretty close. *See if you can either borrow someone's Yngwie Strat so you can A/B it and your RG until you find the right amp settings and tone settings on your guitar. *Then remember them and there ya go! *Just my humble opinion.

Tags
amp settings , dimarzio pickup , electric guitar , humbucker sound , jeannie pickguards , les paul , paf pro , tony macalpine , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode