New RG 1550 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

New RG 1550

Just got a new RG 1550 Prestige in Poison Pumpkin yellow and here are some initial impressions:
Overall appearance is great- nice color scheme and excellent craftsmanship thus far.
Neck is super sweet and action is quite good- strings ring like bells even without being plugged in. Excellent set up by Tommy at Ken Stanton- string height is perfect.
Ibanez p'ups suck. Sorry. They just do, always have. It's kinda sad that after 19 years (when I bought and played my first RG) Ibanez has yet to make p'ups that can stand up to Dimarzios, Seymours, EMG's etc.
The Edge Pro trem has a very low profile and excellent response and feel. A wammy bar addict's (like myself) dream. However, there is an issue with the bar's swing tension that still plagues me after 19 years- I have replaced the teflon washers on the bar and made sure the screw at base of the arm receptacle was tight- all to no avail. This seriously irritates me and is a problem I encountered when I had my first RG.
Over all the ax plays well and looks superb. Once the p'ups have been swapped out for something better and the trem arm tension has been corrected, this ax could stand with to my Hamers, Charvels and Jacksons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: New RG 1550

Pics or it didn't happen!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Killer View Post
Pics or it didn't happen!!
On their way...
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsv555 View Post
On their way...
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...0/DSCF0953.jpg
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 02:07 PM

Reviews: 2

Hmm ... so it did happen!! Congrats on the new guitar! I'll post it here so everybody can see it (if you don't mind).

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Killer View Post
Hmm ... so it did happen!! Congrats on the new guitar! I'll post it here so everybody can see it (if you don't mind).

Of course it happened. I'm guessing by your response you get a number of folks claiming they bought something and critiquing it only to find that they never had anything like it? Hmm...
Thank you for posting my pics.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:08 PM

I have the RG1550M in poison pumpkin, looks bloody great, very well made for an Ibanez (no flaws at all), the neck feels great. Sadly the V7/V8 pickups are terrible in this particular model, so I installed a pair of Breeds and now it sounds fantastic. Tonally this now blows away my Jem 7V - and the RG plays just as well in my hands. As such the Jem will now be sold. I was quite suprised to realise that the Jem doesnt offer me anything that this RG cant provide, except for some cash back in my pocket. (plus I never did feel totally happy playing an signature guitar in public, get sick of smart ass remarks)

I should have cleaned the scratchplate.....

Last edited by chris101; 01-30-2010 at 07:15 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsv555 View Post
Of course it happened. I'm guessing by your response you get a number of folks claiming they bought something and critiquing it only to find that they never had anything like it? Hmm...
aw.he was joking.

I have the same guitar but mine is phantom blue. I just installed tone zone and air norton last week and its big improvement over stock pickups.

Congrats!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saijo View Post
aw.he was joking.

I have the same guitar but mine is phantom blue. I just installed tone zone and air norton last week and its big improvement over stock pickups.

Congrats!
Clearly the RG needs better p'ups. Just haven't decided whether to go Seymour Duncan JB/59's, Evo2/Breed, Tone Zone/Air Norton or Seymour active Blackouts which sound absolutely killer in my Hamer USA Diablo and Jackson Randy Rhoads...
<sigh> So many choices, so few dollars.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:03 PM

how does it smell ?

i liked the pups in mine, only thing i wanted to change was the guard to a 3 ply.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanized View Post
how does it smell ?

i liked the pups in mine, only thing i wanted to change was the guard to a 3 ply.
Hmm. It smells like... a new guitar.
Glad you like your stock Ibanez p'ups. I think you are, by far, the minority, though. I did a side by side comparison to my Hamer USA Diablo which features the SD Blackouts and while the RG gets props for more sonic possibilities with the additional single coil p'up and 5 way selector switch, the tone of those p'ups just killed it.

The RG also gets props for the responsiveness and ease of string change for their Edge Pro but the trem arm swing tension issue kills that plus. While both were equal in playability and action/string height, ultimately, the Diablo won out for better body wood IMO- (Adler vs. Bass wood) MUCH better pickups, and better trem arm tension.
Still, it's great to have an RG back in my arsenal of axes. It'll make a fine addition to the sonic potential therein.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:25 PM

Reviews: 6
Thumbs up Re: New RG 1550

Whats up guys and gals!!! I also purchased this guitar in the black finish and i must say i am in love yet again!!! I have the RG 1550 ML this is the left handed version with prestige finishing. The neck is totally amazing, super wide and flat and if you like to shred this is a perfect axe for you. I have had no tremelo issues and while i agree the stock pick-ups could be better it's not that big of an issue. Once again we have a wood snob out here talking about alder and bashing basswood!! To say that alder is a better tone wood is just a matter of opinion, just like i am going to say that i like basswood better. Back to the subject at hand, I love everything about this guitar the feeling the playability and the looks. I have had no issues with any piece of hardware but like everyone else i will probably swap the pick-ups out for either a set of Evolutions or a Tone Zone and a Air Norton. I do like the single coil's sound and i am debating on weather or not to replace it. The bottom line is this guitar is a steal for the price and it is a top tier instrument for a moderate price.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
I have the RG1550M in poison pumpkin, looks bloody great, very well made for an Ibanez (no flaws at all), the neck feels great. Sadly the V7/V8 pickups are terrible in this particular model, so I installed a pair of Breeds and now it sounds fantastic. Tonally this now blows away my Jem 7V - and the RG plays just as well in my hands. As such the Jem will now be sold. I was quite suprised to realise that the Jem doesnt offer me anything that this RG cant provide, except for some cash back in my pocket. (plus I never did feel totally happy playing an signature guitar in public, get sick of smart ass remarks)

I should have cleaned the scratchplate.....

Nice choice in color & pups, I love Breeds. Enjoy!

Tags
1st impressions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode