New rg choices - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

New rg choices

Hi all,

My first post was in the jem forum and as I cannot afford a new jem and dont want a second hand guitar I think im better off with a new rg. I intend buying the guitar from http://www.machinehead.co.uk/ibanez_guitar.php and was just wondering what you guys thought of the models they have in stock ?

I want the best edge trem I can afford (no more than 500) and am prepared to forget my choice of ebony fingerboard and also prepared to refret if I still cannot get on with jumbo frets. I play very agressively against the frets and fingerboard and when I tried a jem 555 I can honestly say it felt like my fingers were playing on railway tracks, were they super jumbos ?

Everyone tells me that jumbos are the way to go for shredding and im prepared to try and get used to them once more, if not its a refret to 6105 gauge.

Any suggestions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 08:40 AM

Re: New rg choices

I could be wrong bit aren't 6105s huge, I have them on my LP Custom and they are pretty big frets.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Your right and im wrong. doh

http://www.warmoth.com/supplies/supp...ction=fretwire

I meant 6130's, but I know im not going to find an ibanez in stock with those frets. This is why I dont want to spend too much money in case I need a refret but as so many shredders use jumbos I really should give them another go.

I like the cheaper rg's but they have budget trems and after years of suffering problems with cheap licensed floyds I know I want a really good trem that stays in tune and is easy to service / replace parts etc.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 09:02 AM

Well, how large are the frets on normal RG's say RG1550?

The frets on my RG1550 are just perfect size for me. I hate the feel of jumbo frets as it's too hard to slide for me.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

I thought the 1550 had jumbos ? Did your buy your guitar from new or second hand, if second hand it may have been refretted. Youve just reminded me I couldnt slide with jumbos either. The js series have smaller frets but its a vintage radius neck and I prefer flatter necks.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiddleuk
I thought the 1550 had jumbos ? Did your buy your guitar from new or second hand, if second hand it may have been refretted. Youve just reminded me I couldnt slide with jumbos either. The js series have smaller frets but its a vintage radius neck and I prefer flatter necks.

Nope, my 1550 was brand new.

That's a bit weird though
I tried an ESP not too long ago which had jumbo frets on it, and that was seriously like playing on a railway track. I couldn't slide for **** on it. It seemed like it was only built for playing chords in drop-D

I love the frets on my 1550, so if they're 6105's, then i guess i'm stuck with them for life!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 10:00 AM

I like jumbo frets that are wide. Some seem to also be tall. If you buy a new RG and you think the frets feel too tall maybe you could just get a fret level and that would take them down a bit.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Well it does seem that most guitar shops are only selling rock / metal guitars with jumbo frets so I dont really have a choice. Looks like my best bet is to buy as cheap as possible, without buying crap, and then sort the frets later if needed.

Which of the budget Ibanez rg's gets the best ratings these days ?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 01:02 PM

Just get the cheapest "made in Japan" model that you like. They're all good. If you need to save more money, and can live without a trem look at the RG321MH model. (made in Korea but still prety nice).
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 01:09 PM

Dont buy new.
Get value for money and buy used. Get an RG5xx series for cheap and be happy as hell! They are the BEST guitars EVER in terms of value for money, and bang for buck etc.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
Just get the cheapest "made in Japan" model that you like. They're all good. If you need to save more money, and can live without a trem look at the RG321MH model. (made in Korea but still prety nice).
Actually, the RG321MH is made in Indonesia. It's still one of the best bang-for-your-buck guitars around, though. I love mine to death with the except that it doesn't stay in tune very well when I put it in the case, but it could be the fault of the case. I plan on installing some locking tuners and changing the nut and the pickups but even just stock the guitar is very nice.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 03:55 PM

Yeah i own an RG321MH and it's a brilliant guitar but since i got my RG1550 back with new pickups (and obviously the RG1550 has a trem and thinner neck) i've been neglecting it

Nevertheless, brilliant guitar. I'd highly recommend getting one if you're looking for a hardtail
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 07:27 PM

Indonesia? I didn't know that. I think some of them were Korean. Not sure.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the replies.

I really would prefer a new guitar as ive had bad luck with second hand in the past. Its clear that im not going to find a new metal / rock guitar with ebony fingerboard and smaller frets so im really looking at the best Ibanez I can afford. Am I correct in saying the following :

The new prestige rg series guitars are fitted with the lowest profile (and best ?) edge trems, have 17" (430mm) radius fingerboards and all fitted with jumbos ?

Sorry to keep asking, there are so many options and models !!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
Indonesia? I didn't know that. I think some of them were Korean. Not sure.
They shifted production to Indonesia not too long ago.

Tags
dimarzio ibz , ebony fingerboard , edge pro trem , edge trem , edge trems , fret level , fret size , guitar shop , jumbo frets , les paul , locking tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode