New RG day! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

New RG day!

I picked up this quilted brown RG-520 used today at GC. It's in pretty good shape aside from the typical finish wear on the trem and whatnot and some moderate fretwear. It's still shiny and had the plastic on the trussrod cover. I most likely paid too much but I've been wanting a mahogany RG with H-H configuration for ever now so I'm happy to have it.

Next week I'm taking it to my local professional guitar builder so he can work his magic on it. I'm probably looking at a couple of hundred bucks for him to do his total works setup which includes any fretwork needed, setup, replace all electronic components with high quality stuff, clean and condition everything, and all that. He did this to my Jackson and it plays better than just about anything I've ever played.

Just think... By the time I'm done I'll have enough into it to have bought a brand new RG1570...

Here's some pix...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 02:09 AM

Re: New RG day!

Congratz!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 02:12 AM

mine named 'keiko', what urs?

[img][/img]
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
mine named 'keiko', what urs?

[img][/img]
Possibly "money pit" depending on what my local guitar guy says.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 08:45 AM

Reviews: 13

Congrats, You won't be disappointed.

-Wolfram
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 08:51 AM

Nice find!

What year is it?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw_lefty View Post
Nice find!

What year is it?
It's a '99.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:30 PM

Reviews: 1

nice guitar... congrats...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 01:25 AM

The bridge def needs to be reset. You're guitar guy will see it instantly. don't worry though, every used IBZ with an edge trem, that I have bought, has been set up almost the same way and I have had to readjust it to get max performance out of the trem as well as corecting the intonation problems caused by setting the front of the bridge to low. the strings are actually riding on the very back of the saddles instead of riding across the top of them evenly. It is an easy fix for someone who knows what they are doing and no damage has been caused to any of mine because of this common mistake. I would fix this myself and save on tech expenses and leave the rest alone. Assuming I like the bridge pup which appears to have been replaced. I happen to like the V7 at the neck but that's me...Nice axe btw!!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:40 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusplaya View Post
Assuming I like the bridge pup which appears to have been replaced. I happen to like the V7 at the neck but that's me...Nice axe btw!!!
Thats a very good point. Any idea what sort of pick up the replacement is?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

I took all the electronics and the bridge off last night. The pup in the bridge is an Evolution. The guitar is in even better shape than I though once I started stripping stuff off. The frets show alot of wear in some spots but that shouldn't be a problem. I've got a Fender (USA made) 3-way switch that's going in, as well as a CTS 500k pot for the volume. I don't wire up tone pots in any of my guitars so that's just going to be a dummy pot. It needs a new jack.

I'm most likely going to throw in a Duncan JB/Jazz combo I have laying around because those pups sound incredible in mahogany. I cleaned up the bridge and everything is in good working order. The tuners feel really nice and smooth.

I'm debating on whether I should wire the switch "Bridge-both-Neck" or "Bridge-Neck split-Neck"

Either way I'm really excited about this.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 01:19 AM

Im not much of an Ibanez guy, but my friend has one of those and it's a great guitar. Congrats
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 11:54 AM

nice guitar!!!

regards.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRyan View Post
I took all the electronics and the bridge off last night. The pup in the bridge is an Evolution. The guitar is in even better shape than I though once I started stripping stuff off. The frets show alot of wear in some spots but that shouldn't be a problem. I've got a Fender (USA made) 3-way switch that's going in, as well as a CTS 500k pot for the volume. I don't wire up tone pots in any of my guitars so that's just going to be a dummy pot. It needs a new jack.

I'm most likely going to throw in a Duncan JB/Jazz combo I have laying around because those pups sound incredible in mahogany. I cleaned up the bridge and everything is in good working order. The tuners feel really nice and smooth.

I'm debating on whether I should wire the switch "Bridge-both-Neck" or "Bridge-Neck split-Neck"

Either way I'm really excited about this.
i kept the original 5 way switch even changed the pickups with duncans.
trust me, the position 2 and 4 ( coil splitting) sound amazing with 5 way switch. only follow the previous wiring, that will do.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRyan View Post
I picked up this quilted brown RG-520 used today at GC. It's in pretty good shape aside from the typical finish wear on the trem and whatnot and some moderate fretwear. It's still shiny and had the plastic on the trussrod cover. I most likely paid too much but I've been wanting a mahogany RG with H-H configuration for ever now so I'm happy to have it.

Next week I'm taking it to my local professional guitar builder so he can work his magic on it. I'm probably looking at a couple of hundred bucks for him to do his total works setup which includes any fretwork needed, setup, replace all electronic components with high quality stuff, clean and condition everything, and all that. He did this to my Jackson and it plays better than just about anything I've ever played.

Just think... By the time I'm done I'll have enough into it to have bought a brand new RG1570...

LOL If you want it bad enough then it's worth the price you paid to own it. Enjoy it.

Tags
bridge pup , coil split , coil splitting , edge trem , neck split , trussrod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode