new RG220BK - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

new RG220BK

bought this guitar for my little brother for a good first guitar... it seemed decent quality, it could get ok tones, so i was setting it up last night... and the saddle for the G string broke right off.... heres a pic... gonna take it back today... i don't think i'll be getting another RG220 tho, i might see what i can get along the lines of jackson or so

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 01:40 PM

Since when did a RG220 have a Edge Pro II trem?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG-Head
the new models do... all the RG220's at guitar center had em
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 03:51 PM

I'm sure you'll get satisfaction either with a return or a warranty replacement, but I wouldn't go for a Jackson in that price range. The saddle crack was due to a bad mix in the metal there. It's equally as likely, if not more likely on a Jackson with a korean or taiwanese trem that is NOT the EPII. The EPII is a new mold and a good trem. You'll be happier in the long run with a new 220 or other Ibanez product.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Vendor

Saddle cracks have alot to do with overtightening as much as anything. You definately can't tighten the EP or EPII saddles as gorrilla tight as you could a Lo Pro [which was never a good idea either] because the boss that all the force is applied too is thinner on the Ep's.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

well i went in the back of guitar center in the used section, and i found an even better deal! a RG470BK, 01 model, in great shape, almost brand new condition! same price too, so i picked that up... here it is... it has the LoTRS tho, the only downfall on the whole ax, but still a great ax for a beginner, he won't outgrow this guitar any time soon... heres pics

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian
Quote:
But the RG220 was discountinued long ago before the Edge Pro II came out
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian
Quote:
But the RG220 was discountinued long ago before the Edge Pro II came out
i dunno, they had like 4 or 5 of em there, one in grey nickel, the others black... and all the tags on the guitars said RG220BK/GN
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:32 PM

I have seen the 220's with the II's. They dont even look like quality metal brand new. I would not bother with them.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 05:07 PM

The neck on that 470 appears to be three peice without a bubinga stripe is this correct? Very odd indeed
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 03:40 PM

All Wizard II's are 3 piece maple. They dont ahve the stripe of the Wizard.

Mine is like that.

Also, that 470 SHOULD be Japanese, GREAT axe for a beginner. But keep tabs on that TRS. Mine had horrible problems from the beginning with strings popping out.

Swapped it for an Edge, and the problems disappeared, and have stayed gone.

Also, the cool thing about teh TRS, as opposed to the EP and EP II, is that it uses the standard stud spacing and location, so you can swap any other trem in there that you want, basically, and it will work fine with no intonation problems. You can even shoehorn an edge in there later on if you're feeling adventurous. But at least you have upgrade options this way. Which is a major reason I dont want a newer Ibanez.... I'm a paranoid SOB, I know.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBird31
All Wizard II's are 3 piece maple. They dont ahve the stripe of the Wizard.

Mine is like that.

Also, that 470 SHOULD be Japanese, GREAT axe for a beginner. But keep tabs on that TRS. Mine had horrible problems from the beginning with strings popping out.

Swapped it for an Edge, and the problems disappeared, and have stayed gone.

Also, the cool thing about teh TRS, as opposed to the EP and EP II, is that it uses the standard stud spacing and location, so you can swap any other trem in there that you want, basically, and it will work fine with no intonation problems. You can even shoehorn an edge in there later on if you're feeling adventurous. But at least you have upgrade options this way. Which is a major reason I dont want a newer Ibanez.... I'm a paranoid SOB, I know.

yes on my 02 RGT42 with the LoTRS II, i put in a old style edge pro trem, swapped in perfect besides having to shave a little bit of the wood to fit it properly, and i'm lovin that guitar with the edge now
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 05:15 PM

Not ALL wizard 2's i have one right next to me ive had since 96, my first ibanez and its definitely not a three peice neck, although it does have a rosewood fretboard and a scarf joint. Maybe the new ones do, but not very man as this is the first one ive seen where i noticed that

Tags
edge pro trem , rosewood fretboard , scarf joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

ibanez rg220bk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode