New RG2550Z owner, with noob question on Edge Zero tremolo - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

New RG2550Z owner, with noob question on Edge Zero tremolo

Hi folks.

Just received my brand new RG2550Z in Galaxy White. It is fantastic, and came set-up just perfectly. I am a long-time Fender Strat guy, and don't have any experience with the Floyd-Rose type tremolo systems. HOWEVER, if have done a ton of reading and research, here on this site as well as IbanezRules...to learn as much as I can, quickly. I have also carefully read the Prestige Instruction Manual that came with the guitar.

Nevertheless, I do have a quick technical question that I am hoping some of you might help out on:

The instruction manual mentions stud locking screws. They are not installed in the stud posts, but were shipped loose in the packing material (along with the allen wrenches, trem arm, etc.). I can see how they would fit inside the inner sleeve of the set screws. However, I tried inserting these stud locking screws in from the top of the stud posts...but they will not fit in. To repeat, these stud locking screws cannot be installed from the top of the pivot post screws. If they can't be fit in from the top...is it possible they fit in from the bottom.? I would appreciate anyones thoughts/comments on this. Is it possible Ibanez sent the incorrect matching stud locking screws?

Last edited by Deuterium; 04-25-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Re: New RG2550Z owner, with noob question on Edge Zero tremolo

bumpity
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Anyone? Please someone help/comment.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:39 AM

Probally no responses because I think your the first to post of having one of these. Except for the Zero Point thing read the tech section of IbanezRules banner up top.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Probally no responses because I think your the first to post of having one of these. Except for the Zero Point thing read the tech section of IbanezRules banner up top.
Hi CosmicDebris:

OK, understood. Thanks for the head's up.

I am going to take off the tremolo and back out the pivot stud screws, to see if I can thread the supplied locking stud screws in from the bottom. What a pain in the ass! Ibanez should have just installed them from the factory.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Vendor

TBH the studs are ultimate crap, I'd replace them with 2LE2B's if you ever plan on removing the ZPS.

otherwise, I was very wrong in my assesment at the show that they would screw in from the top. They won't, you have to pull the trem, the studs, and screw them in from the bottom just like on a 2LE2B.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
TBH the studs are ultimate crap, I'd replace them with 2LE2B's if you ever plan on removing the ZPS.

otherwise, I was very wrong in my assesment at the show that they would screw in from the top. They won't, you have to pull the trem, the studs, and screw them in from the bottom just like on a 2LE2B.
Thanks for the feedback, Rich. Appreciated.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Dee

LOL. Typical. Ibanez get it half right yet again. This is a company that needs a serious ass kicking.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 12:55 AM
Vendor

Just to explain the statement, because a statement that strong needs to be proved, EZ stud on the left, redesigned Lo Pro stud on the right.

They would be terrible compared to the crap LP studs.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 03:47 AM
JB1

I have a 2550z in Galaxy black.Im in the uk ,but my guitar didnt come shipped with any locking studs. I will check the manual when I return home but i dont remember any mention of them. Should I have them and what are they for?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
I have a 2550z in Galaxy black.Im in the uk ,but my guitar didnt come shipped with any locking studs. I will check the manual when I return home but i dont remember any mention of them. Should I have them and what are they for?
JB1,

There should be two tiny, threaded black screw inserts in the plastic bag that is located in the hinged accessories panel inside the hard-shell Team J-Craft guitar case, that your RG shipped in. Same place as where you will find the allen wrenches, and trem bar.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Just another comment on this topic...

I am NOT looking forward to installing these stud locking screw inserts...because not only will I have to remove the tremolo (which will not be a big deal) but remove the pivot posts (bid deal). It is a big deal because I will have to re-set the action, with no way of reference (except for measurement) as to how far the pivot posts are currently screwed in. In other words, I will have to screw them back in by "eye-balling" it, and then fine adjust with a ruler to re-set the correct action/height.

While this may be no big deal to experienced RG owners, I am not exactly a guitar tech. Fortunately, I have done a lot of reading and studying of various guitar resources, and have a proper guitar measurement ruler (from Stew Mac)...and I should be okay.

Ibanez really dropped the ball, on this particular issue. Either they should have installed the stud locking inserts from the factory...or at the very least ensured that they could be installed from the top end of the pivot posts. Having to remove the pivot posts, and come at it from the bottom is just plain crazy. What was Ibanez thinking?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterium View Post
What was Ibanez thinking?
I don't think they were thinking! Or maybe they just did it for a laugh.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 10:06 PM

They were thinking that the threaded inserts wouldn't fall out of the top of the stud if they became loose.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
They were thinking that the threaded inserts wouldn't fall out of the top of the stud if they became loose.
How would they "fall" out? They are threaded. Even when the are
"loose", they would have to somehow unscrew themselves up and out, in order to simply fall out...wouldn't they?

Tags
allen wrench , allen wrenches , edge zero , fender strat , floyd rose , guitar tech , locking stud , locking studs , trem arm , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode