New RG2550Z quality questions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
mpr

New RG2550Z quality questions

I got a new RG2550Z. The finish leaves me disappointed, considering I bought it on a sale for >$1000. Was I expecting too much?

1. Some of the frets are a little murky/rusty.

2. The white fretboard edges seem a little chipped in some places near frets, and there are a few black scratches, vertical or horizontal (2nd image).

3. There's some paper (I assume) sticking out from below the pickguard in a few spots. The pickguard is also not cut accurately to fit near the neck and bridge.

Continued in next post...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
mpr

Re: New RG2550Z quality questions

4. On one side, the "slope" on the bridge next the trem knife isn't molded/cut straight.

The other one is fine:

5. Sloppy painting in the 4 holes for the neck screws.

And some questions:

How do you remove the nylon covering of the pickguard? (I assume it's to be removed?)

It didn't come with separate locking studs. Are they preinstalled now?

The trem arm came scratched in the dent that locks it into the holder. To be expected?

Last edited by mpr; 03-23-2012 at 01:08 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:17 PM

In this price range we can't expect absolute perfection but whatever flaws there are should be the type that you can only see if you look real close...like stick your face 5 inches from the guitar close.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:58 PM

I bought an RG2570Z a couple of years ago, and I had to install the locking part of the stud myself. It came in the goodie bag and I had to unscrew the stud to install it, etc. don't know if they began install those at the factory.

Have you tried putting the proper allen key down the hole in the stud and see if it lands into anything? If it does and you feel it turning, then the locking part is already installed.

As far as quality issues on the guitar, it doesn't seem that far off for any manafacturer's guitars in that price range in the last few years. I can only speak for myself though.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 02:33 PM

I bought mine in '08. Your 5th point is just how they come. I've never seen one finished perfectly there. In regard to all your other points, I didn't have any of those issues. Your 1st point, though, is what happens when the elements get to it. That happens during shipping and storage.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
mpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyninja View Post
In this price range we can't expect absolute perfection
I was hoping for *some* perfection. If it's really the standard then it's quite sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmachine67 View Post
Have you tried putting the proper allen key down the hole in the stud and see if it lands into anything? If it does and you feel it turning, then the locking part is already installed.
The key seems to lock into something, so I guess that means it's installed. Strangely it's the 1.5mm key and not the 2mm mentioned in the EZ manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLinkageXx View Post
Your 5th point is just how they come. I've never seen one finished perfectly there.
Odd. The other side of the holes is painted fine, how difficult can it be...

Quote:
Your 1st point, though, is what happens when the elements get to it. That happens during shipping and storage.
I wonder if that'd be enough reason for replacement, and maybe getting the rest resolved too while at it.

Assuming I'm stuck with this one, any tips on how to remove the pickguard nylon cover, and how to get rid of the bits of paper that stick out from below? (What are they supposed to be doing there anyway?)

Last edited by mpr; 03-25-2012 at 12:29 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:41 AM

1) The fret tarnishing issue is really not a fault on Ibanez. What year is your RG2550Z? They've been discontinued for a little while, and depending on where you got your guitar, it could have been sitting in a warehouse for several months or even more than a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
Assuming I'm stuck with this one, any tips on how to remove the pickguard nylon cover, and how to get rid of the bits of paper that stick out from below? (What are they supposed to be doing there anyway?)
3) I'd start with removing the screws and lifting the pickguard to see if you can get the pieces out. BUT, more than likely, what's sticking out is the mirrored paper that the pickguard is backed with. You can remove the pickguard and place it on a hard surface and trim the paper carefully with an exacto knife. That's common on mirrored pickguards.

I don't really even remember if my stock pickguard had the same problem. I changed it out for a black/white/black H-H pickguard quite some time ago.

5) My RG2550Z also has the "sloppy" paint in the neck screw holes...along with my RG1527 and RG1420F. The reason one side is painted, is because that's all they could do to get that area covered without the getting runs in the finish. If they really concentrated on getting full coverage in the holes, the paint would run like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
I was hoping for *some* perfection. If it's really the standard then it's quite sad.
I have to laugh at this a bit. Perfection is perfection. There are no degrees of perfection. Nor is there such a thing as a little or a lot of perfection.

In the end, you have to realize that you've bought an off-the-shelf, production guitar...not a one-off custom build. Ibanez may not be perfect, but they still make some great guitars.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones43x View Post
In the end, you have to realize that you've bought an off-the-shelf, production guitar...not a one-off custom build. Ibanez may not be perfect, but they still make some great guitars.
I agree. I bought a new RG1550M over a year ago. The only obvious imperfection I can see is a very small black lint speck embedded in the clearcoat on the back. My camera cannot even pick it up. It sounds, plays and otherwise looks quite awesome! ^ ^
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
mpr

Bones,

1. It's a 2011. It hasn't been discontinued in this region.

3. If that's the thing, I don't understand how people are so forgiving. They can't even cut properly some paper for a $1000+ guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones43x View Post
I have to laugh at this a bit. Perfection is perfection.
Well, you get the idea. Besides, "absolute perfection" was the thing that started it.

Quote:
you have to realize that you've bought an off-the-shelf
But these are things that can be avoided, particularly given the price. You get perfect surfaces on trinkets you buy for a few dollars. I expect even more from such guitars.

jer3d: You got a good one that shows it CAN be done right, so why do you agree?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:08 AM

Prestige ain't what it used to be. This sadly has gone on for too long now.

Tags
finish , frets , pickguard , quality , rg2550z

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode