New RG270, need ID and upgrade suggestions... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

New RG270, need ID and upgrade suggestions...

Hi people. First post at these forums after I picked up this rg this weekend. Got a great price on it, had a good little jam in the shop and the dealer I got it from said he was the only place in Australia with one of these models... I'm interested as to whats the history on it.

Sorry they aren't the best pics, but the cross on the 12th fret should make ID'ing it a bit easier. It's a Korean guitar. Model number is: RG27SP / CP 04052617. What does the SP stand for in the model? Special? I have been having trouble finding this guitar in any of the yearly brochures. I'm after any info you can give me, but most importantly what pickups they are (I think they're psnds). It has a lo-trs2 trem.

Also I'm after some pickup suggestions for when I upgrade. I'm after a crunchy metal sound... while being able to slow it down, and since its a HSH I'm thinking keep the single pickup cool for solos / cleaner distortion, and get something really chunky on the bridge, and something slightly cleaner on the neck. Then I would probably mess with the 5way to get a HH setup for metal. I have heard good stuff about the EMG-81's (and I love my 'tallica ) but I'm not sure if I want to take the step up to active pickups.

Some advice would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 10:12 PM

I have never seen one of those before I have no idea what it is, and I didn't know Ibanez had inlays that cool in non-signature, non-prestige models...

As for pickup suggestions, if you go with EMGs you'll have to replace all three pickups. It's really tough to wire up a combination of active and passive pickups.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 12:43 AM

I've nothing to contribute but the following:

@#$%@#$^% I wish my 270 had those inlays!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I like the cross inlay as well (that along with the price pushed me into grabbing it). I've been playing this thing constantly since I got it, and I have to say I'm very impressed. From reading the forums you guys knock the 270's a hell of a lot but for the price I got it for I am stoked - a wicked upgrade from my abilene strat imitation

\m/ \m/

As I said before future plans are some new pickups (suprise), also I think I'll swap the trs for a black FRO. Going to fully shield the internals, & then slowly work on some other electrical mods. With the body, I'm gonna stay away from a pickguard, and just go with some custom decals to start with because the black paintjob on there at the moment is evil as and flawless ... I can watch myself rape and pillage in the reflection

I'm gonna start a new thread in the pickups forum for suggestions so if you have any advice plz check that thread out.

Can any ibanez freaks/gurus give me more info on this guitar?

Tags
korean guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode