The new RG350DX 2005 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

The new RG350DX 2005

I know the 2005 has the edge 3 and inf3 pickups
So is this an improvment on the older models
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 12:19 AM

Re: The new RG350DX 2005

Well, the Edge III was created so that Ibanez can cut back on paying Floyd Rose any royalties. Basically, the Edge III was based on the old Edge. As for the INFs, they are considered to be a big improvement over the Powersounds. I haven't tried a 2005 350/370 yet, but the T42 doesn't sound bad at all (it's got the Edge Pro II, so I can't comment on this years Edge IIIs).
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 01:55 AM

I have a 2005 RG370DX and it is an awesome guitar for the money. The Infinity pickups are a HUGE upgrade over those crappy powersound pickups. As for the Edge III, I would say that it is about the same quality as an Edge Pro II. Neither of them can hold a candle to an Edge Pro, OFR, or an Original Edge/Lo Pro Edge but they will hold their tuning decently. The cool thing about the Edge III as opposed to the EPII is that the route and spacing are exactly the same as that of an Original Floyd Rose so you always have the option of changing out the trem. I'm fine with the bridge personally since I don't do a whole lot with it and mostly use it for the tuning stability and some slight vibrato work on solos.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Just a question about your guitar, or the edge III

You say a floyde will fit perfect in its place? How do you know this?

I would like to do it with my rg350dx 2005 model.

Are you happy with you neck on your rg370? hows the action? intonation?
I have a jem555 jr korean, and im not to happy about it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 01:09 PM

yo dudes id liek to clarify something A FLOYD ROSE ORIGINAL WILL FIT IN AN EDGE 3 CAVITY!!!! dont know about the edge pro 2 tho look for it here youll find it, if not ill post pis as soon as the owner of the rg 350 sends me the pix
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 05:50 PM

Someone on this very site had an RG350DX that they put an Original Floyd Rose in with no routing. They said that it was a perfect fit. Of course, while that would work with the Edge III it probably won't work with the EPII since they don't have the same dimensions. As for my guitar, I am very happy with the neck/action/intonation. Granted, these things sucked from factory but are easily adjusted either by yourself or by a professional. The shop where I buy all of my guitars does free adjustments on every guitar they sell, so it's worth buying from them. I love my guitar to death and the only big changes that I've done to it are a change of the pickups to EMGs. The stock pickups weren't bad at all but I wanted to have one guitar with EMGs and it was definitely a good decision.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 06:01 PM

Is there a way to fit a piezo bridge system into this guitar ??? that would be awesome.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 07:05 PM

I just posted new pics of the OFR mod to my 350dx. chef21
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 12:20 AM

No idea about the piezo system. Anything is possible, but really it would be more cost effective to just buy a guitar that already comes with such a system.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 12:40 AM

I had a 350DX a couple years ago, and although the trem was a piece of crap I really dug the powersound pickups. PSND's get a lot of grief from people but I liked them, they sound a lot like super 58's. In fact if anybody has a pair of PSND's they want to sell please PM me.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 09:58 PM

i own a 350dx and i still think its a great guitar for the money. ive had it for a year and its well worth the 400. its like most intermediate guitars - worth their price. as you go up the scale, the company can justify adding more to the price tag (fender does this quite a bit)

i think its a MIK, but its still a great guitar and easy for upgrades when you start to outgrow the stock stuff. the pups are mounted on a pickguard for easy pickup changes, and the edge III switches out for an OFR retrofit (or so i heard). im gonna be switching my pups within the week, and hopefully later the OFR will go in it too. still, stock its a really nice guitar.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 02:16 AM

I would agree that it's a great intermediate guitar as well. Those Infinity pickups are actually quite decent although the single coil doesn't really give you a true single coil tone. However, I have discovered that the pickups actually sound quite a bit better in the mahogany-bodied RG321 than in the other RG3xx guitars made of basswood for some reason. I get a very nice rock tone out of the guitar without even trying and it's also good for metal whereas the Infinity pickups weren't quite as versatile in my RG370DX which is why I replaced them. If you want a truly solid and dependable guitar that is just waiting to be modded and you can live without a trem then I'd check out an RG321. I got one just to have for alternate tunings since changing the tuning on a guitar with a floating trem is a bitch. I'm actually pretty satisfied with the way that the guitar sounds and I'm actually a little afraid to change the pickups because I don't want to lose the sound that the guitar already has. I will, however, eventually upgrade the nut on the guitar just because I'd rather have one made of bone.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 03:34 AM

yeah a friend of mine bought an 2005 RG350DX and for what he paid for it its pretty good! I hate the Edge 3 though, it has stuff all pull up range and hes had to replace all of the locking screw twice cause they all got stripped, then the saddles got jammed really badly so he sent it to a luthier who then broke his led side lights(the stick on strip ones)! I have to say though those Infintiy pickups arnt half bad. they were'nt doing to bad at all against my RG520 with EMGs. But since we both have cheap amps (SOLID STATE UGHH!) and cheap pedals you cant tell the diffence as much between them but give me a mesa and then the EMGs would kick a**!

It was funny, one day i looked at his neck and noticed that the grain wasnt consistant and i thought, surely its not a multi piece neck. But it is!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 02:02 PM

Of course it's a multi-piece neck. Pretty much every Ibanez guitar on the market today has a multi-piece neck now. The Korean-made instruments have a 3 piece maple neck generally and the Prestige RGs have a so-called 5 piece maple-walnut neck which is really just a three piece maple neck with two tiny walnut strips.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 03:06 PM

i agree, from personal experience, the edge III isnt great. the bar is just a slide in which is alright for medium trem work, but when i got a bit violent with it, it ripped out because there is not stud or locking nut to hold it really in. thats probably my biggest gripe, that and that its kinda cheap metal, but as an intro to FR style bridges, i think it works very well.

like i said, a good stock guitar, and should be easy for some upgrades so it should last you for a while

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , floyd rose , locking nut , maple neck , piezo bridge , piezo system , powersound pickups , pro edge , walnut neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode