New RG3XXVCA.... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

New RG3XXVCA....

All the recent talk about these things had compelled me to grab one, so that being said, here's a crappy cell phone pic :

Most of the QC issues with these discussed elsewhere on the board are present on this guitar, to some extent. They're all minor, and most can be easily corrected (and most have been already since I got her). The most baffling issue I found was this:

I had originally opened the cavity to look at what pots/switch they had used, and saw that pretty little sight. What's confusing to me (and a Dimarzio tech that I talked to), is that this is causing NO issues. Switching works as advertised, no noise, no hum, nothing. It just works like it should. It's a head scratcher, for sure.

Overall, this thing is pretty cool, and will fit it's purpose of being a gigging axe nicely. The Edge Zero II is nice. I removed the ZPS bar, and fully floating, it works like a champ. Definitely light years away from the Edge III quality wise. I was cautiously optimistic about the Deactivator in the bridge, because I'm normally a PAF guy, but it sounds good, and will fit nicely in my arsenal. The Wizard III neck is nice, too. It doesn't have that "big shouldered and chunky" feel of the Wizard II. On top of all that, and most important, it just looks awesome....

Bonus family shot:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 06:51 PM

Re: New RG3XXVCA....

Nice collection !
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 PM

Reviews: 2

Yeah nice one...reverse headstock is always cool.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 PM

I was under the impression that Wizard II and Wizard III were the same; both 19mm/21mm 400mm (except in 2004 when the Wizard II was 430mm).
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
I was under the impression that Wizard II and Wizard III were the same; both 19mm/21mm 400mm (except in 2004 when the Wizard II was 430mm).
Same dimensions, different profile.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:42 AM

Damn, those solder joints on the selector switch look terrible!!!!

Pretty guitar tho!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 AM

Reviews: 2

Talk about QC issues!!!!! The hot for the neck pickup is cooked so bad the wire is exposed!!!! Same thing with the jumper.............that's sad.

Killer collection jski!!! hope you get this RG3 sorted out.............

BTW...the bare wires don't HAVE to be soldered to ground if the green wires are....it's just better if they are.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I plan on cleaning up the wiring, and cleaning up the neck pocket soon. The neck is higher on the bass side, so I'm going to pull it off and see what's up. I fully expect it to be a "paint-in-the-pocket" issue. Just thinking how sad it is nowadays that I expect to have to do work on any lower-end Ibby to get it "right", outside of the normal setup.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:28 PM

Nice. I had a 91 565 in the same color. I loved that thing. Nice collection too. I used to had the PGM100RE. Mine had a prestige neck, not a original wizard as advertised. I still have my original 100 and 300. I want a fireman so bad but I'm scared because of the MIC thing. And thats great to hear about the neck. I was worried they would have that big bulky wizard II feel. I'm definitely gonna pick up one now, or both! haha
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jski7 View Post
Same dimensions, different profile.
Elaborate please. Can you draw it in MS Paint or something? Does one of them have bigger shoulders or more of a V shape or something?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jski7 View Post
Just thinking how sad it is nowadays that I expect to have to do work on any lower-end Ibby to get it "right", outside of the normal setup.

Have you posted about this on Ibanez's forum?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:33 PM

nothing like maple boards and reverse head stocks. I only have 2 ibbys but I could totally see myself getting one of these. nice collection. I love the FRM with the buckers.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
Damn, those solder joints on the selector switch look terrible!!!!

Pretty guitar tho!
yeah,, looks like I wired it!.....
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Elaborate please. Can you draw it in MS Paint or something? Does one of them have bigger shoulders or more of a V shape or something?
It feels closer to the original Wizard, or current Prestige, to me. Much smoother than the II, which felt like it had huge shoulders. It feels more "in line" with typical Ibanez. Hope that helps, lol.

Quote:

Have you posted about this on Ibanez's forum?
I work for a dealer, so I've had these discussions with Hoshino directly. Rich seems to be the only dealer who can get results, and I know he brings quite a bit to their attention....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I love the FRM with the buckers.
I was wondering who'd be the first to catch that one . I wanted a Fireman likes Paul's FRM2, so I took the first FRM100 I bought, routed it, threw in some Air Classics and a 3-way, and changed the guard to a custom one from WD. I call it the FRM200....
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON
I love the FRM with the buckers.
I was wondering who'd be the first to catch that one . I wanted a Fireman likes Paul's FRM2, so I took the first FRM100 I bought, routed it, threw in some Air Classics and a 3-way, and changed the guard to a custom one from WD. I call it the FRM200....

yeah, I built a "buckerman" with a body from Perle and an RG neck. The 24 fret neck makes it too long to fit in a coffin case!

Tags
rg3xxv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode