New RG550 vs. Older model 550 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

New RG550 vs. Older model 550

Hi All,
I'm sure this has been covered but I couldn't find it in a search. Anyway, I'm interested in buying a RG550. I found one new at the local Music store for $499 new with hard case. Seemed like a great deal to me. But, i was wondering what's the diff between the new ones and the old ones? Would my money be better spent on an older used model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 11:27 PM

Yes. Used RGs are plentiful and generally cheap. On eBay, you'll see RG550s going for around $300.

The biggest difference between the newer ones and the older models is simply the All-Access neck joint found on the newer models. If you don't mind the old style heel, a used RG is definitely for you.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
There's also a lot more colours to choose from if you get an older model

I think though that if you buy a very old RG550 and it still has the stock pickups (many don't as their owners swap them for "name brand" pickups) that they'll be slightly different to those found in the RG550s produced today.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 08:09 AM

what jono says increases the convenience of getting a used one. usually, a guitar's price doesn't increase when the pu's have been swapped, which is better for you!

on the other hand.....you can pretty easily find a used RG WITH the AANJ. it's old enough.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 02:37 PM

Also the old RG550's I bought both had LoPro Edge trems which are more comfy to me than reg. Edge.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 04:36 PM

Some prefer the edge because of the increased flutter. Personally i dont like the old neck joint, plus the quality has improved a bit on ibanez's so the new ones are gonna be a little smoother all around, aside from maybe the knife edges as rich points out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Some prefer the edge because of the increased flutter. Personally i dont like the old neck joint, plus the quality has improved a bit on ibanez's so the new ones are gonna be a little smoother all around, aside from maybe the knife edges as rich points out.
What's the difference in knife edges? I missed that.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 06:58 PM

Hopefully I wont bumble this one. As rich gets to see more of them than I have alot of the newest knife edges arent exactly up to par. Gotoh(right?) which manufacturers them is just a little below tolerance and several new ibanezes have had dull? (right again rich?) knife edges. Not all of course but enough to make an issue about it. I dont buy without playing anyways.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 07:00 PM
Vendor

ALL
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 07:16 PM

Depends on just how used you mean by "used".Most Ibanez guys feel that the Rg's from the late 80's and maybe early 90's had better quality hardware and workmanship.I feel that the old 570 I bought in 1991 had a much better feeling wizard neck than current 2002 Rg 570's.The bridge was definitely better quality too.But as for the 550 I am not sure since i never actually owned one.

Tags
access neck joint , edge trem , edge trems , local music store , music store , neck joint , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode