New RGT42DX - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

New RGT42DX

Just got this delivered today from ups. I honestly wasn't expecting a Korean Ibanez to be this good. Setup was near perfect, just had to retune it. Quality is excellent, and this being my first neckthru, I was impressed with the sustain it has. The infinity pickups are ok, but I'll probably want to replace them in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 08:13 PM

Re: New RGT42DX

Im thinking of gettin the same guitar this weekend, how do you rate it? Two other things, how much did you pay? And what pickup/pickpups are you thinking about replaincing the stocks with?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningAlive409 View Post
Im thinking of gettin the same guitar this weekend, how do you rate it? Two other things, how much did you pay? And what pickup/pickpups are you thinking about replaincing the stocks with?
I rate the guitar very high quality wise. I have a RGA121 and actually like this guitar more. The wizard II neck is more comfotable and it has sustain for days. I purchased it online from MF, it was on sale for $400. As far as replacing the pickups, I was thinking of going with the Dimarzio d-activators. I played a xiphos which is made from the same wood, mahogony, with the d-activators and really liked the tone. The infinity pickups aren't horrible or anything but I'm sure a good quality set would make it sound even better.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 10:07 PM

You got a link for that? I'm still seeing it for $699.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 10:35 PM

Congratz! Korean ibanez aren't bad, so does the indonesian's one.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 10:54 PM

yeah I saw in on MF for 399 last week, I thought it was a hell of deal. I almost ordered one. I love the look of that guitar.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 AM

she's purdy
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Well, I guess I put my foot in my mouth saying how great this guitar is. I went to change strings and had some problems. I noticed that two of the fine tuners on the Edge III trem have bad threads and wont turn when you get to a certain point. I also saw that the saddle on the d string is moved so far forward that the fine tuner is barely catching it. I tried moving it back, but it throws off the intonation. I'll be sending this one back and I'm debating on exchanging it or just getting a refund. I apologize for the previous great review, but the guitar seemed great at the time.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:29 PM

The guitar is fine, the trem is not IMHO. I personally wouldn't want to own anything with an Edge III or II in it. I had a student with an RG350 and his trem arm holder needed replacing but as it turns out you can't replace it. I hate to call those trems junk but I really think they are IMHO.

I bought the RGT42FX version and it ROCKS. I dropped a PAF Pro in the neck and a Seymour JB in the bridge and called it a day, couldn't be happier. I still want to make mine into a elect/acoustic with piezo saddles.

I liked the D-activators as well, they sounded tastey when clean or dirty in a new DTT700 I played the other day.

I say go for the FX model unless you want a tremmed axe, other wise find an MIJ RG so you get a decent trem.

~Bones
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

I agree. I do want a guitar with a trem unit so I'm probably just going to get one with a ofr since parts for them are easy to get and they seem to hold up well.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 06:54 PM

Reviews: 120

An Edge Pro should fit that guitar. If you really like the guitar other than the trem that might be a good way to go.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
An Edge Pro should fit that guitar. If you really like the guitar other than the trem that might be a good way to go.
I sent it back today for a refund. Honestly, I don't think it's wort the trouble of trying to install the edge pro. The edge pro is pretty expensive and I would also have to enlarge the trem post holes since the edge III posts are a smaller diameter. I would rather just get a guitar that already has a good tremelo and is good to go.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 07:58 AM

I ordered this guitar yesterday, played it in the store absolutely loved it, if the trem breaks i might just block it up with wood, not big tremolo user, but do need it sometimes
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:04 AM

Are you guys still seeing a sale somewhere for $400? I'd love a link if you can find it.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the guitar played so well that I changed my mind about getting a refund and decided to exchange it for another one. I mean for $400, how could I pass it up? Hopefully the next one will be ok. I'll let you know when it arrives. For those asking about the price, the sale is over and they are back to the normal price.

Tags
rgt42dx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode