New to site and new to Ibanez - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

New to site and new to Ibanez

I just recently bought a RGA121 because of the neck...I love the thin, flat, fast neck, and I love the fixed Gibralter bridge...but I really dont care for the pickups in this guitar. Most of my guitars are equipped with EMG's...I love the clear, clean, articulate, light, airy crunch of the mid-range heavy EMG 81 in the bridge and the fat tone of the 85 in the neck is great...but, I thought I would try something new in this Ibanez...what suggestions do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 08:25 PM

Re: New to site and new to Ibanez

Welcome!

Good choice on the RGA121.

About the pickups.. EMGs are very good for a metal/crunchiness sound but I've personally never been fond of their clean sound or the fact that they require batteries. As an alternative you could look into getting some Dimarzio pickups, any member of this site would swear by the quality of them.

Dimarzio are almost exclusively used(as far as I know) in the higher quality Ibanez guitars. I have some PAF Pros in my prestige and Evolutions in my Jem. I'm not sure which Dimarzio pickups would best fit your taste - maybe Air Nortons if you like a kind of John Petrucci tone.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 11:47 PM

Yeah, it totally depends on the kind of sound you want out of the guitar. I've heard good things about the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and maybe an Jazz for the neck. You could also go with the tried and true Dimarzio Tone Zone/Air Norton combo but if you're used to the articulation of EMGs then the Tone Zone might be a tad bit too muddy. Really, there aren't any pickups which have the output and articulation of EMGs but there are some good passive pickups out there. The Dimarzio D-Sonic has become one of my favorites as of late.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 12:19 AM

Reviews: 1

there are lots of options and pups for your desire, also dimarzio just put a new choose your pickup system, it tells you what pup should you look for or look at.
i bought sometime ago duncan distortions for neck and bridge and it gave the guitar a new fresh pop up
JJ
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:06 AM

+1 to the JB/ Jazz combo
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:36 AM

Air norton and tone zone
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 08:33 AM

Since we talking about pups, I was wondering if anyone ever try Seymour Duncan JB(Bridge) and Dimarzio Air Norton (Neck) combo in a H-H setup.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 09:39 AM

I personally like the BREED pups. They have a nice tone for metal too.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 09:49 AM

Reviews: 7

I recently tried out the tone zone and loved it. Also someone else on this site made a vid of them playing with a tone zone in the neck position too and I loved his tone. I think I might make one of my Ibanez's an all Tone Zone guitar, one in the bridge and one in the neck and then a Tone Zone S in the middle. Also welcome to the site and to Ibanez you'll love both

Tags
air norton , air norton combo , air nortons , dimarzio air , dimarzio air norton , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , duncan distortion , fat tone , ibanez guitars , john petrucci , neck position , paf pro , paf pros , seymour duncan , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode