New SV5470 including neck pocket crack! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

New SV5470 including neck pocket crack!

Hi,
New here but what a wealth of information ! Cool.

Here's a question I would value your opinions on -

Just bought a new SV5470 and love it.
It shipped complete with a 10mm neck pocket crack which bugs me. jpg attached (hopefully).
Now I know these things are not exactly unheard of but would YOU accept this?
I am sure it was like this from manufacture and didn't get spotted by the excellent dealer who ordered it in and shipped it straight out. The hard case & cardboard box don't look like they have suffered carrier abuse either. It is otherwise immaculate.
Almost certainly cosmetic (ie in the laquer coat) but pig ugly and what has it done to the resale value?
What do you think? Complain or ignore.
Opinions appreciated!

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 10:09 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: New SV5470 including neck pocket crack!

I wouldn't accept it...I would call the dealer and let them know AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE!!! The more time you wait will seem like you neglected the instrument, and may result in either a longer wait to be satisfied, inferior results, or no satisfaction at all!

Would you have bought the instrument in this condition new off the wall at a store? If yes than enjoy your instrument, if not, run to the phone and get the right instrument for what you paid!!!

As far as resale, I wouldn't buy your guitar and pay what you paid a week later without the crack in it. So with the crack will definitely bring the price down...

By the way there weren't any pics.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Re: New SV5470 including neck pocket crack!

Hi,

Thanks for that nice clear opinion.

I agree.

In fairness the dealer has offered me a replacement and I belive they have acted very fairly and would recommend them anyday. They just didn't notice the crack before it was sent to me.
I did tellthem the day I received it and they talked to the UK Distributor immediately to get agreement on an exchange. I didn't want to put them to the trouble but ....

This is an excellent guitar and seems a shame to try and turn a blind eye to something that really shouldn't be expected on a so caleed "Prestige" instrument.

I just wondered whether I was being too fussy........?

p.s. Can't seem to get a jpg to upload says size exceeded even thoough it is well within. Probably cos I am new here. Ideas?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 02:03 PM

Create an account at Photobucket.com, and upload your pictures to there. And then paste the links here.

But, no I wouldn't accept the guitar either. If you can find a way to ignore it then do so and keep it, but if not then go ahead and take up the dealers offer.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:08 AM

Reviews: 3

It's an easy choice. New=nothing wrong with it. Used=cracks, scratches, dents, chips, etc.

You bought a NEW guitar. I don't think you're being fussy at all. Think of it like this. If you bought a new car and it had a crack in the windshield, would you still accept it?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Photo - at last !

OK with the aid of a friend I now have a photo of the problem right here -

http://fiwek.tmpshare.co.uk/images/svcrack.jpg

Now you can see for yourself !

Still can't upload directly for some reason. Oh well.

Thanks for your opinions to date - concensus definitely says it isn't acceptable on a new guitar!

Hopefully in the longer term Ibanez can perhaps improve on there manufacture which is normally good and excellent value for money IMO.

Simon
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 02:02 PM

Reviews: 3

these cracks are common on older Ibby's but no way in hell it should be on a brand new guitar.

I find it hard to believe that didn't notice that but at least they are being cool.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Re: New SV5470 including neck pocket crack - result

Looking at the advice on this thread and others I did decide to accept the dealers offer of a replacment 5470. Bit of a pain all round but a good result.

I would just like to recommend this official UK Ibanez dealer to anyone -

www.guitarsuperstore.com

Absolutely spot on service and totally focussed on customer satisfaction. A credit to the trade. And, oh yeah, cheapest price on the 'net too! Very impressed. Don't hesitate to use them.

The replacement now sports a Roland GK3 pu which is a neat fit on this guitar.

Thanks for the advice BTW.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 09:29 AM

glad to know you got a deserving replacement. i own the SV5470, it's what i wanted in an S-series, something superb in craftsmanship without the locking hadware hassle. anyway, back to the point- one of my old RGs fell off it's stand, the side of its headstock kissed the floor first, it resulted in that crack in your pic. makes me wonder if the guitar took a dive during handling... anyway, your dealer acted in your interest, thumbs up to that.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

quite so.... are couriers ever beyond suspicion?!!! Cardboard box outer looked good but a good flat slam down even in the substantial hard case could have done it.
Anyway Ibanez gave the customer the benefit of the doubt and the dealer was exemplary.

Worth the hassle - the neck is the absolute business.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode