New swamp ash RG/Jem body from MAI-Guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Talking New swamp ash RG/Jem body from MAI-Guitars

I just got a custom RG/Jem body from Chris of Mai guitars.
Enjoy the pics! This is one piece light weight swamp ash by the way.

notice the middle part is darker-
No idea why/ I guess this is like near the outer/mid part if you follow
the end grains and the dark part is the inner ring.This is huge tree then!
Could this mean it's more stable? As you get near the core.
LOL don't know much about trees.

Here's one that was tweaked on photoshop

The RG550neck with rosewood fingerboard-flame on!

Nice fit on the pocket-tho I had to tap it towards
the bass side as it's not really straight initially.
Also note the usual sharp edges on the AANJ backside.
You will have to radius it to your own preference.

Also had to do this to achieve this--(next pic)

No gaps on the neck pocket and straight as far as
this mockup is concerned.I used the dots as guide.
you can rarely go wrong using this method.
Ibanez MIJ neck accuracy!

Notice that I used a different post(s) (from Gotoh Floyd)
which has a thinner sleeve.This makes the edge tremolo sit
nearer the pickup which looks correct.I think the gap
between the tremolo's edge and the trem cavity rout
(upside) is too much if I use the standard Edge trem's posts.
Anyways, I hope Chris rectifies this.Maybe add
an extra 2mm of wood towards the trem's plate edge.

This pic shows the jack cavity route-I'm surprised.
It is placed in a wrong location.I don't really mind tho.
It's just that I have 3 rear routed RGs to compare it with.
What is really weird is the location of the jack hole.
--see pic of actual placement and the ideal one.
You may have to be specific on this one with Chris as it is outside CNC work.
I might be wrong on a Jem though.
But it should be the same as any other MIJ RGs.
Well, except for the really obvious misplaced angled jack hole.Take note Chris!

The jack is a good 1/2 inch or so lower than it should.
Not the standard but still works for me.
No problems as long as it works.
I will either modify the jack/cut the extra metal
or get one without the wire holder-
I used proline barrel jack with the short contacts.
Also note that the back plate cavities are much
wider than usual.I may have to cut my own covers.
No problems! I forgive Chris :P

So this is my picture review of this awesome piece of wood
-courtesy of Mai guitars.Overall I'm happy with the body-
generally it needs some tweaking, much sanding and filling
(swamp ash ,remember).

So...Thank you Chris!

If I may add:

I got this for a fairly good price-considering it's one piece swamp ash.
Ibanez don't make them often.Currently,theres 470AH and it's like 2 or 3 pc.
This one is 1 pc swamp ash and made in USA :P--Does that matter anymore?
LOL
Contact Chris if you're sick and tired of basswood like
some of us here at jemsite.
Have a nice day! Got to go and rest.

Last edited by iced_ink; 08-19-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 07:13 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: New swamp ash RG/Jem body from MAI-Guitars

Thats a really nice body you got there. One good thing about the bodies made by Mai-Guitars is that the cavities are all nicely routed. The one I've gotten from Legacy/Deep6 had it's cavity routed too small and I had to make my own cavity covers. None the less, a nice body.
How do you intend to finish the body?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 AM

Reviews: 13

I need to get me one of these bodies..
-Wolfram
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 AM

That jack is never going to stay tight with the nut on an angle like that, I fear. Other than that, it looks like a nice body.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by faekildare View Post
Thats a really nice body you got there. One good thing about the bodies made by Mai-Guitars is that the cavities are all nicely routed. The one I've gotten from Legacy/Deep6 had it's cavity routed too small and I had to make my own cavity covers. None the less, a nice body.
How do you intend to finish the body?
Hi faekildare. I also got a body from deep6 a while ago.You know one of those that pops up once in a while in ebay.

There are so many things wrong with that body ( a PGM style).
neck humbucker routing is like the normal RGs--PGs' are moved further back.The mounting holes don't match the original AANJ necks)at least not MIJ ones.Don't know about RG470, 3xx etc.Also the pocket needs to be deeper by 3mm or so.
There were router marks/depressions on the outer sides near the horns.One was filled with putty(not by me).I did the same with the other one.

The switch cavity was routed too deep.It ended having a veneer like thickness round the switch area! scary thin I glued 1/8" thick basswood on the critical areas.
He did not put any wire access holes, and did not drill the outer hole for flush mounting the output jack. It had the half inch hole only. I had to plug it with basswood dowel and make a jem style plug hole using an 18mm forstner bit.

I put this project on hold while I figure out how to hide the wood putty fillings.I intend to do a mahogany red natural finish.It's a 2pc alder btw.
I got a RG120 maple board neck to go with it.Just needs re drilling for new holes.

Anyways.. This body from MAI guitars looks great and is generally workable.Plus it's a good deal.I'm planning to finish it naturally with slight tint of amber to complement the rosewood.Natural is good too but I really want those grains to pop out more.

I have some waterbased grain filler from stewmac and im gonna stain it after I grain fill then spray minwax poly clear gloss.Would this work?It's the first time I'm gonna do this type of finish.I'd appreciate any help.

Last edited by iced_ink; 08-19-2011 at 09:49 AM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
That jack is never going to stay tight with the nut on an angle like that, I fear. Other than that, it looks like a nice body.
Hi toshiro.Luckily i have or still have the sleeve that came with the jack from an abused jem i got 6 years ago.that sleeve served as a huge washer that held down the jack pretty good.I just tightened with a small wrench.Or maybe just put some wood inside and cut to match the angle.

By the way that jem was trashed The luthier did a very bad job on that.Useless neck, I think he glued the truss rod with the board when he removed and re attached,gouged the trem cavity and put new wood in there ,and re radiused the board to 12"!

I did not know anything about jems and general wood work then.
I'm gonna post some pics again soon.Sorry 'bout the side stories LOL
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced_ink View Post
There are so many things wrong with that body ( a PGM style).
neck humbucker routing is like the normal RGs--PGs' are moved further back.The mounting holes don't match the original AANJ necks)at least not MIJ ones.Don't know about RG470, 3xx etc.Also the pocket needs to be deeper by 3mm or so.
There were router marks/depressions on the outer sides near the horns.One was filled with putty(not by me).I did the same with the other one.
Mine's didn't had those problems. Mine aligned with the Japanese Necks nicely tho. There were router marks and there were a lot of sanding I had to do to smooth-en out the marks. There were also chips on the harder wood where I had to fill up with Glue and whatever dust I've gotten from drilling the tremolo screws. I had to cut and file of one side of the neck pocket as that part was left unfinished but that wasn't a bit problem. My biggest problem was to cut my own cavity plates. I wasted 2 pieces of wood just to get an accurate size one.

Quote:
The switch cavity was routed too deep.It ended having a veneer like thickness round the switch area! scary thin I glued 1/8" thick basswood on the critical areas.
He did not put any wire access holes, and did not drill the outer hole for flush mounting the output jack. It had the half inch hole only. I had to plug it with basswood dowel and make a jem style plug hole using an 18mm forstner bit.
I don't think I have that problem of the switch cavity being routed too deep. My only problem with the switch was that the screw holes weren't large enough. I had to drill them bigger. But that wasn't a biggie. Mine had the wire access hole all done up. However, the angle is the same as the one in this body. The angle is a bit weird but I manage to tighten it real tight.

Quote:
Anyways.. This body from MAI guitars looks great and is generally workable.Plus it's a good deal.I'm planning to finish it naturally with slight tint of amber to complement the rosewood.Natural is good too but I really want those grains to pop out more.

I have some waterbased grain filler from stewmac and im gonna stain it after I grain fill then spray minwax poly clear gloss.Would this work?It's the first time I'm gonna do this type of finish.I'd appreciate any help.
To Pop the grain, I would oil it. But before oil, you would wanna stain it first before oiling. After the oiling, then you would continue with the spraying. I should write up a mini tutorial on Oiling, although it's really easy to do.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks faekildare. I guess it's hit and miss for these aftermarket bodies.

The only ones available in my area are danish oil and Formby's tung oil finish..I've been searching for tru oil.No luck.

I'm looking forward to your oiling tutorial.Been reading some finishing tips on the telecaster forums.It seems swamp ash needs a lot of attention when doing natural finishes.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to put this pic.
The back has bolder grains but has these dark streaks on some spots.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 PM

Wicked looking piece of ash. Keep us updated, specially on the clearcoat as Im about 2 weeks away from doing the same and need it to look 'factory-esque'
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:19 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick 6 View Post
Wicked looking piece of ash. Keep us updated, specially on the clearcoat as Im about 2 weeks away from doing the same and need it to look 'factory-esque'

Im a child... I laughed at that haha

"man thats one fiiiiinnnneeee peice of ash..."
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 PM

Danish oil or tung oil will do fine. If you can find a version of Danish oil that uses linseed oil as it's base, that will work fine too. Overall for finishing, I like tru oil the best, as it has that semi gloss look. You can order Tru-Oil from ebay or amazon.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

The jack cavity on the body I got from Chris was lined up just right, but it's a Jem body. I've got another on the way soon--I'll report back on that one.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 12:01 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

The jack cavity on the body I got from Chris was lined up just right, but it's a Jem body. I've got another on the way soon--I'll report back on that one.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

I don't know if I can order Tru oil from the net and get it shipped here (Amman).
There are certain restrictions on liquids.

Tags
ibanezrg , jem , mai , swamp ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode