New sz4020 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

New sz4020

Any comments or more info about them? Was thinking whether to get them. Anyway its a korean prestige right? Which is same as sz2020? What kind of finish is that? Satin? Is it very vulnerable to scratches dings and dents?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 03:28 AM

Re: New sz4020

it's more oil than satin- yup, dings easily but it all depends on the player: love the guitar, it'll love you back.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 09:59 PM

i don't think it dings much more than a painted body but i guess it depends on the thickness of the clear coat and paint.
i played the grey version of the SZ4020 recently and i really liked it. the bridge is whole new animal. i would be pestering jemsiters or Rich about what in the world to do with it for a set up and what not.
it played great, felt great (a little on the heavy side), sounded great and overall i was very pleased with it. i would keep the pups as they had a very JB/Jazz or '59 sound going on for great clean and dirty sounds in all three positions. the middle position on the switch had a nice single coil sound that really suprised me. i tried this guitar thru the new Fender Super Sonic 1x12 combo (i fell in love with that amp!!! - wholy smokes it ROCKED hard!!!). for a good quality hard tail i would surely consider this axe. i like the SZ series alltogether. simple design and effective. i have an SZ520qm on the way to me in the next week or so. i will have to change pups in that to a JB/Jazz.
the things that didn't please me about it was the unmatched flame maple top. the top half was really flamed nicely but the bottom piece had almost zero flame. i would prefer the natural finish over the grey but that is just a personal preference but the grey looked nice. the truss cover is wood so where it was "stamped" prestige it "bled" and looked kinda sloppy. for $1300 i would expect something a little nicer for a prestige. the Ibanez logo on the headstock isn't pearl or even pearloid which is another dissapointment that they went thru soooo much trouble to make such a fine instrument that they would skimp on such small details. it is not even inlaid in the headstock but i think it is an overlayed decal. tsk, tsk. i think that being a prestige should still mean something even if it was made in Korea. shame on you Ibanez for that. i would still buy this guitar if i was in the market for it.
hope this helps anyone wondering about this guitar - i was excited to hear the store i teach in had one on order and i was glad to get to try it - very nice axe!

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa

Last edited by screamndemon69; 03-29-2006 at 11:58 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 09:54 AM

i just saw the natural in person - WOW! absolutely stunning! the top is bookmatched and flammed very heavily. i needed a bib to keep from drooling on it. Ibanez has a winner on this model! it sounds as good as it looks!

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69
the bridge is whole new animal.

i would keep the pups as they had a very JB/Jazz or '59 sound going on for great clean and dirty sounds in all three positions.
*how new is the bridge? is it any different form the superseded 2020's?

*the pickups were modelled after Duncan's Distortion/ 59. regardless, these are impressive default units ibanez have put in their wares.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:59 PM

the bridge looks the same as the 2020. the one i saw also has an amazing flamed top. i'm very impressed.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 11:37 PM

in that case, it's still the same unit from the MMM1
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 06:12 AM

4020 bridge:

2020 bridge:

Tags
clear coat , fender super sonic , flame maple , truss cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode