New toy day! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

New toy day!

RG7620VK number 3... im slightly dubios about the body as it has what I assume are vampire kiss marks all over it... my previous two didnt have that. But both the body adn neck are stamped 7620 so who knows.

trem is from an old UV from Algiman and the pickups are Blaze custom in the bridge and paf 7 in the neck... giving it a few days with strings on before i tackle the set up.. but preliminary examination looks like it needs a serious fret job, they are un marked but all over the place height wise.. making for a very high action (2-4 mm) and still buzzy..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 06:39 PM

Re: New toy day!

Congrats on the new baby!

I love the fretboard! It seems like it hasn't been played!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 07:36 PM

Cool - love that colour! - may be the Ibanez "loose frets plague" you have happening there - StewMac did a little tutorial on using Superglue to cure this - might be on their website, if not give me a PM and I'll email it to you if you are interested.

Meanwhile, enjoy your new baby!

Cheers

David
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 11:52 PM

Nice score.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 PM

Congrats man, that seems less purple than most VK 7620s. Probably just the light but I like it. On a side note Vampire Kiss has to be one of the lamest names for a color ever.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Congrats man, that seems less purple than most VK 7620s. Probably just the light but I like it. On a side note Vampire Kiss has to be one of the lamest names for a color ever.
Vampire hickey maybe?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 03:30 AM

Vampire's time of the month.

Anyway, congrats Steve
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

The colour is nothing like my previous VKs, its a very weird paint job. I like my odd finishes (DBK, FP and swirl owner) but this is very odd indeed.
ill try take a picture of it later today. It looks like smudgy fingerprints or like kiss marks all over the body and I think it looks terrible. This will be most likely be getting a refinish, perhaps an industrial themed textured finish, or I might just take a blow torch to the body.

Whatever the final finish, I dont want to be worried about chipping or damaging it. I made this to be a gigging 7-string guitar, as I dont want to gig with my blue swirl or 2027 for fear of damaging them. Historically, my gigging guitars get lots of knocks and dings so the new finish will have to wear them well.

Thanks for the tip Dave, Had a quick ckeck, the frets are well stuck in... just badly levelled. Its about two-three hours work for me to level, crown, polish and buff them, I should be able to find that time in a week or two.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:55 AM

The metallic flake underneath never adheres to the body causing the upper layer to fragment and chip with relative ease. Sounds like my Mitsubishi paint job on my evo.... I sent my VK off to get a custom swirl and body routing, but will not take the guitar out of the house when finished.

Tags
custom swirl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode