New trems for entry level guitars... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

New trems for entry level guitars...

i was at my dealers' last weekend to discover that entry level Ibanezs now sports a new trem. i guess these are the new standard trems now fitted to such guitars. i must say that these units have been designed to be more picking-hand friendly. no more saddle screws that protrude & stab your palm. i think you can also set it up to float & rival the TRS/ Edge units, however tuning stability after doing whammy dives are questionable (since the machine heads on entry-level guitars aren't locking). when i tried the RG170 then, the dealer coulnd't find the trem arm so for those of us who have tried this new trem, please share your experiences here. it looks like a derivative of the satellite bridge resident in the SA series though... here's a pic...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 08:53 PM

Re: New trems for entry level guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
i was at my dealers' last weekend to discover that entry level Ibanezs now sports a new trem. i guess these are the new standard trems now fitted to such guitars. i must say that these units have been designed to be more picking-hand friendly. no more saddle screws that protrude & stab your palm. i think you can also set it up to float & rival the TRS/ Edge units, however tuning stability after doing whammy dives are questionable (since the machine heads on entry-level guitars aren't locking). when i tried the RG170 then, the dealer coulnd't find the trem arm so for those of us who have tried this new trem, please share your experiences here. it looks like a derivative of the satellite bridge resident in the SA series though... here's a pic...

My friend has an RG-170 that I was playing about an hour ago. With a graphite nut and locking tuners the thing would stay in tune great. It's a great deal on a guitar. I'd recommend it head and feet over a squier or similar.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

...over a squier? you bet... (no offence squier fans, i like squier myself)i'm considering a maple fretboard model, if my dealer has one in store, then i'll simply grab it

off-the shelf, it's not locking-tuners equipped, but i'll have this makeover if the need arises...
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 11:36 PM

At this level, check out a Yamaha Pacifica 112 if you can. Good guitar for the price.

Also the Musicyo Kramers, but plan on getting a setup...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 12:29 AM

i have an RG270 that was my first non-used guitar. thing was awesome, only had to retune once a week, only broke about a string every 2 weeks (my record was 3 in one night) and she sounded ok!

then i ripped out the pups, replaced them all (axis 1 neck, emg middle, V8 bridge...horrible match btw lol), i swapped the trem for an Edge, and changed the tuners. now she plays a LITTLE stiffer (it could use a GOOD setup, but i dont want my luthier to laff at me ) but still awesome, i havnt retuned it in like 3 months or more (still perfect), and i havtn broken a string since my last string change, and she sounds awesome (well sounds just as good as a 570). i should just sell off the parts and use the body for kindeling *shrugs*
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

that new trem...

according to the Ibanez 2002 catalogue, the RG170 is equipped with the new FAT-20 bridge. this is a revised unit different from past years' RG170 which sport the vintage-type bridge. glad to see these significant touch-ups on such entry-level models. back in 1997, the RG170 i came across was ply-wood bodied coupled with the vintage type bridge, it was totally replulsive (for me). the current RG170 is pleasant & desireable, a good beginner guitar for the new players out there.

Tags
graphite nut , locking tuners , maple fret , maple fretboard , trem arm , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode