New upcoming custom guitar company - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

New upcoming custom guitar company

deleted

Last edited by elcid; 05-11-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:33 PM

Re: New upcoming custom guitar company

Have any pictures of guitars that you've actually built?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

I've yet to have a client, I'm in the very beginning stages of this. Check out my more recent post:http://austinocelot.blogspot.com/201...ew-corner.html
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:40 PM

So you've never actually built a guitar...but you expect someone else to pay you to be the guinea pig?

You should build a few of your own designs so your prospective clients know what to expect. I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone would contract a guitar from you without seeing anything of your previous work
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

You prove a good point, the only problem I've having with that is saving up the money to build a guitar. Whereas if I had a client providing the money needed to build it I wouldn't be having that problem. You do prove an excellent point, I'll have to show people what I can do. I'm not sure what kind of guitar to build first tho.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 PM

Come up with your own design and go for it. You can't just post a blog saying "I'm a guitar company" if you've never built a guitar before in your life and expect anyone to hand you their hard-earned cash.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

the way I looked at it was that I had to start somewhere and getting my idea out was a pretty good start.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 PM

Yeah but all your idea was is "hi I want to build a guitar for you with no experience of actually building one before in my life" it's damn silly if you really think about it.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from building guitars, but it's not a simple thing. You need to actually build some and get damn good at it before you're going to get a sane person to give you money to build them one. There are many proven custom builders out there man.

If you want to build guitars then go for it and post up your builds! Build up some great guitars and a good reputation and people may want your work.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

I'm not planning on building guitars from the ground up, I'm just talking about ordering the parts and putting it together. at least at first.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:33 AM

Reviews: 120

People aren't going to pay you to build a guitar from parts when you've had no experience building yourself. I'm sorry, but it's just not going to happen.

You need to front up some cash, learn to build, do some courses in luthiery if need be, and build a number of guitars to show that you can consistently produce a quality product.

You need skills in woodworking, electronics, painting, guitar setups, and more.

You can't just say to people "Hey, want a custom guitar built from parts by me. I haven't done anything like this before, but I'm sure it'll turn out."

Not trying to dissuade you, just giving you a reality shot. Go learn, and master the craft, invest in yourself, and then others might too.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

This thread is a master piece
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 AM

Reviews: 25

This thread must be a joke !!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
This thread must be a joke !!
People please stop those atomic tests, a Godzila kind of monster would be a really small problem comparing to what is surrounding us
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your input guys, I appreciate that you guys aren't totally trying to kill my (hopefully) good idea. I'm taking all advice on here with a grain of salt and I'll definitely appreciate any help.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 01:44 AM

Reviews: 25

Trust me, if you havent built your own guitar at least once, then you have no business in starting your own custom guitar building business and should feel very guilty taking someones money for you to test your abilities with ...
Closed Thread

Tags
custom guitar company

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode