New Yamaha guitars with new trem systems - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

New Yamaha guitars with new trem systems

Hey all, im new here and ill start with some cool new guitars ive seen. Yamaha have expanded their RGX line with the 820DZ and 520DZ. They're basically 24 fret superstrats.

These new guitars have floyd roses, but there's a twist- they require no tools to use! To unclamp the nut, you simply flick a lever that sticks out at a right angle from the nut.. Also at the bridge, the string locks are lever operated too. There's even a tool included that prevents the floyd from sagging as you change strings!
Enticing indeed, im going to try one on monday, so I'll report back on the performance of the unit. I hope it feels good and keeps tune well. Yamaha guitars are fantastic for the price, my pacifica is very reliable!

EDIT: For some reason, they aren't on any of Yamaha's webpages, but they are in their catalogues. Odd...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 07:29 PM

Re: New Yamaha guitars with new trem systems

this sounds cool. i've never played a yamaha, but the floyd thingy sounds neat. do you know if yamaha guitars are generally good, like the neck and feel? because this might be worth checking out.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 07:52 PM

I've had very good experience overall with Yamaha. I can't speak to the new system, but based on Yamaha's track record, IMO they're worth a look.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 08:06 PM

I got a Yamaha Pacifica as my first guitar and it was a very good first guitar. Of course, after playing Ibanez guitars it feels like total crap to me now.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 08:28 PM

The high end yamahas are very nice. http://www.yamaha.ca/content/guitar/...ifications.jsp

Here's the one your talking about.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Yes! Thats the exact one! Thanks for finding it!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
I got a Yamaha Pacifica as my first guitar and it was a very good first guitar. Of course, after playing Ibanez guitars it feels like total crap to me now.
The Pacificas I have are every bit as good as the Ibanez models at the same price. I've had 5 900 series models, and they rock. Not all of the "newfangled features" worked as well as one might have hoped (which makes me wonder a bit about the new nut design), but the overall quality was great for the price.

Of course, the cheaper stuff isn't as good, but the 100 series Pacificas easily match the cheap Ibanez stuff (or any other $200 guitar, IMO).
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700
The Pacificas I have are every bit as good as the Ibanez models at the same price. I've had 5 900 series models, and they rock. Not all of the "newfangled features" worked as well as one might have hoped (which makes me wonder a bit about the new nut design), but the overall quality was great for the price.

Of course, the cheaper stuff isn't as good, but the 100 series Pacificas easily match the cheap Ibanez stuff (or any other $200 guitar, IMO).
Yeah maybe, but I don't use the super cheap Ibanez guitars so basically I was just saying that I've moved up a bit in the guitar world.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironical Communion
Hey all, im new here and ill start with some cool new guitars ive seen. Yamaha have expanded their RGX line with the 820DZ and 520DZ. They're basically 24 fret superstrats.

These new guitars have floyd roses, but there's a twist- they require no tools to use! To unclamp the nut, you simply flick a lever that sticks out at a right angle from the nut.. Also at the bridge, the string locks are lever operated too. There's even a tool included that prevents the floyd from sagging as you change strings!
Enticing indeed, im going to try one on monday, so I'll report back on the performance of the unit. I hope it feels good and keeps tune well. Yamaha guitars are fantastic for the price, my pacifica is very reliable!

EDIT: For some reason, they aren't on any of Yamaha's webpages, but they are in their catalogues. Odd...
I had a kahler like that back in 88' , it was great to be able to unlock the nut without a tool and the kahler design kept the bridge from saggin when changing strings or breaking a string. That was a good trem. I wonder where she's at now...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
The high end yamahas are very nice. http://www.yamaha.ca/content/guitar/...ifications.jsp

Nice .

Regards

Andrť

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
Yeah maybe, but I don't use the super cheap Ibanez guitars so basically I was just saying that I've moved up a bit in the guitar world.
OK, but don't assume the world of Yamaha guitars is limited to the pac012. That'd be like someone moving from an Ibanez EX to a Yamaha 812 and saying Ibanez guitars weren't as good.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti

Nice guitar! I like the clamp on the lock nut. Great idea.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Hey all, I tried the guitar yesterday. Flametop is as good as it looks on the pictures(although i tried the black model), hardware felt solid and stable. Pretty good sounds, nice thin neck with good upper fret access. However the floyd went out of tune when i used it excessively. This was in a store though, maybe the strings weren't settled in, i dont know. Amazing for the price though.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 02:04 PM

How much was it selling for?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 04:03 PM

Heh. I just picked up another Pacifica. This one was a used 302 telecaster copy for $180 shipped. I didn't mean it; I was actually saving for an AEL20 nylon string. But I just threw out a pretty low bid and got it. At least now I can put off buying a custom made swamp ash radius body...

Tags
brian moore , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , floyd rose , frank gambale , fret access , gambale model , hollow body , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , lock nut , mike stern , string lock , super strat , swamp ash , upper fret , upper fret access , warmoth neck , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode