Newbie plz. help - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Newbie plz. help

Hi guys I am new here...I dunno whether it's the right place(forum) to put my question or not...If not then please move this thread to a proper forum...

Well I'm a newbie in guitar...I've searched a lot in the previous 2 or 3 moths for a good cheap electric guitar in the net...After this long search I've selected 2 guitars that I like...

Ibanez RG350EX &
Ibanez XP300

Can you guys please tell me which one I should select from the above 2...The 350 or the 300??..
I want to play any kind of musics especially (metal,rock,blues & jazz)...

& It'll be very helpful if you guys plz. tell me the exact prices of these 2 & what the accessories I'll get free with the guitar...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 03:56 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: Newbie plz. help

Hello, you could have posted this in the "Other Ibanez Guitars" forum but a moderator can make that call cuz I have no idea how to move a thread....I'm also thinking that you should probably change your location to something besides "Earth"... we're all on earth here but it's nice to know what part of earth you're coming from...

Both guitars you mentioned have the Edge III trem, Wizard II neck and INF pups so the biggest difference would be that the Xiphos is mahogany and the RG is basswood...so the mahogany guitar will have a "darker" sound... I think most people on this site would probably go with the RG because RGs are so beautiful...Xiphos...not so much...but that's obviously just an opinion ;o)

Quality wise they're in the same range so I'd say that there isn't much of a difference in the RGs in this price range - it's more about the look that you prefer so I think you need to decide which one you would rather look at every day...hope this helps.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey
Hello, you could have posted this in the "Other Ibanez Guitars" forum but a moderator can make that call cuz I have no idea how to move a thread....
I hope they'll do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey
I'm also thinking that you should probably change your location to something besides "Earth"... we're all on earth here but it's nice to know what part of earth you're coming from...
Hehe lol...Ok I'll change it...

Mmmm I think there's also a major difference between them...That is the switching system...
The RG has a 5-way pick up selector & the xiphos has a 3-way pick up selector...So, which one would be better??...Which one will give me more options to play different kind of tones/musics??...Though I personally feel a 5-way switch can give more variable tones than a 3-way switch...

And regarding look I like both...Both of them have 2 different kinda looks...The RG is more soothing & polite looking where the Xiphos is more arrogant...
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Go to a local store and play both--see which one feels, sounds, plays better. Only you can be the judge of what you like, especially when looking at two completely different body styles.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelerate View Post
The RG has a 5-way pick up selector & the xiphos has a 3-way pick up selector...So, which one would be better??...Which one will give me more options to play different kind of tones/musics??...Though I personally feel a 5-way switch can give more variable tones than a 3-way switch.
Neither is necessarily 'better' than the other...but I would say the 5-way switch might be another reason to go for the RG...but to AlaskaBat's point - those guitars are radically different body styles so only you can decide which one you're going to like better...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Hello guys thanx for the help...I've just visited to a local guitar shop today & selected the Ibanez RG350EX...I didn't buy it...I'll buy it tomorrow...

But I need another help...I would be grateful if someone could help me in selecting a good amp...My budget is no more than $90...I want to play any type of musics especially Rock,metal ,blues & Jazz...I need all types of features available in an amp. like distortion,compression,equalization,reverb etc...& I want to use it in home only...So, 10-30 watts would be ok...

So, what amp. should I choose & buy??...Guys plz. help me...

Last edited by Excelerate; 03-16-2011 at 03:46 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Your budget is exceptionally low for an amp to do anything well, but I'd suggest looking for a used/second hand Line6 spider amp of some variety.

Furthermore as doriengrey mentioned, please set your location to a more specific location, ideally at least giving the name of the country you're in.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Same rules apply--go try out what they have in your price range and listen for what sounds best to you. To be honest--with the features you want, you'd better be looking in the "used gear" section. $90 doesn't buy much amp, let alone one that has the stuff you want.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 04:26 PM

$90 ($99 actually) buys a Fender Mustang I amp which are fairly impressive for what they are.

Also, a RG350 is a good starting guitar. Fairly solid construction, decent sound even from the stock pickups. More than a good enough sound for a newbie and good enough you wont be frustrated by your guitar, learning to play is another story.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 05:33 PM

Reviews: 12

I'd really advise against getting anything with an EDGE III unless your either intending to Block the Bridge entirely, or drop an OFR, Gotoh FR, or EDGE Pro instead.

A really really bad bridge, theres pictures somewhere where the baseplate has actually snapped by the knife edge near the trem arm...

There was a guy on youtube who had to machine a new brass part for the block as the original part by the springs snapped. or shattered...

Better yet look for used RG-550's/570's the original ones fetch a high price but the late 90's/00's ones are pretty good value, I'd reccomend a pre 03 as they have very very good trems...and probably will be a better price...

I just picked up an 01 RG 550 in good condition that slays any 350 or similar indo ibanez around...infact I paid less for this than I did my RG350MDX with a dimarzio...

Ampwise anything second hand should get you a decent amp i'd advise you up your budget as much as possible...

But like has been mentioned a spider of some sort should cover all of those styles however you may also want to look into used peavy bandits the older ones would sound much better than any spider I've played or heard...might need a distortion pedal for uber metal br00tz...

The bandit would do the lower and mid gain stuff really really well where the spiders IMO/E fall completely at the hurdle on anything other than high gains or cleans...but if you really really need multiple sounds and effects...

I still think going for a used 550/570 is a better options in the long run you wont need to upgrade it further down the line....

Having done the get a cheap guitar sooner and then upgrading it, I've been much happier buying a decent guitar outright, the 550 is easily my number 2...

Hope you can find something that you like though...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Reviews: 2

I have to agree with OZZ. I think the 350 retails for around $400 USD. I just picked up a '99 RG570 and an '89 RG750...... each one was $275. that would leave you another $175 for an amp.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanx a lot to you guys for the helps...I've bought an Ibanez RG350EX at last...570 is a good guitar IMO but it's not possible to get one(used one) here easily since they(Ibanez) has already stopped to manufacture the 570...& may be it would take much more time & money than the RG350EX because of the shipping...I was also in doubt about its condition whether it'll be in good condition or something else...

But still I haven't bought the amp...I've searched in the net about the Roland,Peavey,Fender,Line6,Vox,Epiphone,Ibanez...S o far what I've found within my price range is V

Roland CUBE 15XL
Roland CUBE 20XL
Roland CUBE 15X
Roland CUBE 20X
Roland MICRO CUBE RX
Roland MICRO CUBE
Roland MICRO CUBE-R
Roland MICRO CUBE-W
Roland MOBILE CUBE

Fender Frontman 10G
Fender Frontman 15G
Fender Frontman 15R
Fender Frontman 25R
Fender Mustang I

Line6 Micro Spider
Line6 Spider IV 15
Line6 Spider IV 30

Vox MINI3(green/white/black)
Vox AC1RV RhythmVOX Mini
Vox DA5 Mains/Battery Digital Amp
Vox Pathfinder 10
Vox Pathfinder 15/15R
Vox Amplugs

Peavey Vypyr 15

Ibanez IBZ15GR 15W Guitar Amplifier
Ibanez IBZ10G 10W Guitar Combo Amplifier

Epiphone Valve Junior
Epiphone Valve Junior Extension Cabinet
Epiphone Valve Junior Head

I'm still searching about the Marshalls...I hope I'll get more infos. about them soon...& I also expect suggestions from you guys...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 04:06 PM

For your price range in amp, I'd go with one of the Roland Cubes. Though they don't have as many different sounds as a Line 6, I personally think the sounds they do have are much better. I do agree you'll get more bang for your buck on the used market. Check your local CL musical instruments section, and go play a few things.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 04:41 PM

Reviews: 2

I'd say the Valve Junior is the best amp in your list quality wise..... but I don't think it has any effects. The junior is extremely moddable too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode