Newbie questions - sorry - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Newbie questions - sorry

Take mercy on me. I did a search but really couldn't find anything.
Anyway, to the point. I may be able to pick up an Ibanez RG570 for $150. There is a crack in the neck which isn't all that uncommon with the Floyd Rose setups on Ibanez and Ibanez styled guitars. I am actually looking for a guitar to refinish and restore so the neck isn't an issue at all. Is this a good price for this guitar in this condition? Are there different versions of the 570? i.e. are some made in different countries so that the bodywoods and hardware would be lesser quality than other 570s. I have seen some wild prices on these guitars on **** but some claim the bodywood is basswood. Others claim the guitar is a Japanese manufacture. I frankly have no clue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:03 PM

Re: Newbie questions - sorry

almost all 570's are basswood. i think there were a few exceptions, but i think these technically had different model names (517 = ash?) even if they are popularly referred to as 570's.

again, almost all had the original edge bridge. a few had the lo-pro such as the faked-flame-top version.

and all 570's were made in japan.

sounds like a good price assuming the neck isn't broken right off.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I was thinking it was a good price too. No, the neck doesn't appear to be broken off but looks to be that common separation at the headstock. He has listed as needing a new neck but I had the same issue with my fake Ibanez, (Squier HM3) and a simple dose of woodglue and some sanding fixed it right up. Plays as good as it ever did.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:25 PM

Welcome to the forum.

They've been making 570s for years. To the best of my knowledge, all the 570s were made in Japan. What you have to look out for, is the store trying to pass off something else as a 550 or 570 because they're more desirable.

There's a great resource if you clink Ibanez Rules!! banner at the top of the page. Then click "Resources". Rich has put up scans of nearly every Ibanez catalog until they made him stop. You can view each catalog and even get close-ups to read the print. That will go a long way to help you ID which guitar it is.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidhouse
Thanks! I was thinking it was a good price too. No, the neck doesn't appear to be broken off but looks to be that common separation at the headstock. He has listed as needing a new neck but I had the same issue with my fake Ibanez, (Squier HM3) and a simple dose of woodglue and some sanding fixed it right up. Plays as good as it ever did.
As long as the cracks are in the BODY of the guitar and not the neck itself.

Otherwise you could be looking at needing a new neck.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:31 PM

See if you can post a picture here.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:42 PM

Good price but with a crack on the neck hmmm....

Regards

André

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I doubt that it is a fake as it isn't a dealer or something on **** but is actually an individual seller on a local online classifieds site. I have emailed him my interest but thus far he hasn't responded back. For all I know he has already sold it. Here are some pics:

Even though I am totally unfamiliar with the Ibanez line, I have owned a fake Ibanez for about sixteen years and I am familiar with the guitar design. Here is a picture of that
As for the neck issue, it is hard to tell from the picture but I assume that it is the same split that happens a lot on these and happened to mine. My understanding is it has something to do with the locking nut on the Floyd Rose system. It goes through the neck and creates a weak pressure point that splits over time. Mine made it about fourteen years before splitting.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:04 PM

Even if the neck has to be replaced, isn't that still a pretty good price?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:39 PM

If the rest of the guitar is in good shape (the bridge in particular) then it is a pretty good price. You could probably find a replacement neck on evil-bay for a few hundred at the most or even get one built.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:49 PM

If that's the price, and the damage doesn't go any further - i'd say go for it. You can always pick up another neck or worst case scenario, I believe Rich has a section on how to repair a cracked neck (ibanezrules.com) so you can also try fixing it. Sounds like a good repair job
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Newbie questions - sorry

Well thanks for the advice again guys. I got a hold of the guy and he told me that the guitar was still available. I went out and looked at it. Definitely was a little worn. The crack in the neck wasn't the typical crack but it looked to be caused by the typical lock nut problem. Still, I went ahead and forked over the bucks. What he didn't tell me was that it also came with its original case. Anyway, here are a couple of pics. The neck crack pick is a little blurry but you get the idea.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 10:13 PM

~OUCH~

Rich has got a fix on ibanezrules.com

But that's pretty harsh

Did you ask him if it holds tune?

Good luck with her
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 10:43 PM

Is that the one that the guy had originally for $300+ ?
I saw that ad and didn't even bother to reply at that price. He mentioned that it was pretty beat up in the ad, but at $150.....probably not bad at all.

Bert Foster over in Conyers can fix that neck unless you're planning on replacing it.
I'd probably check e&ay for a good Wizard or Wizard II with the sharktooth inlays.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

The ad was on craig's list. I didn't see any ads for $300 but then again I wasn't looking in that price range. Great guy, we sat around and talked for about a half an hour. I am surprised he sold it. I think he had owned the guitar for about twelve or thirteen years. Bought it off a high school buddy.
I was looking for a project guitar as long as it wasn't ply. Finding this one as a project guitar was jackpot for me. No need to buy a lot of things off the bay.
My plan is to strip it down. Fix the neck, of course, (nice walk through on Ibanez Rules), and repaint it something a little more bold, (nothing outlandish). Hardware on it is nice. Gotoh machine heads. P'ups sound really nice. Not sure what they are. The neck says V1, the middle says S1, and the bridge says V2. They need the rust sanded off but that is easily done.

Tags
edge bridge , floyd rose , ibanez catalog , lock nut , locking nut , maple fret , maple fretboard , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode