Newburgh Steinbergers return! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Newburgh Steinbergers return!

Sweet!

https://secure.musicyo.com/sneakpeeks.asp?pic=SPGM2SA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 03:56 PM

the steinberger is sweet°!!

so i love the coffin case, and the vanguard pro RLZ
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 05:47 PM

Doesn't say, but I assume that has the Trans-trem on it? A Steinberger without the Trans-trem is like an Ibanez without an Edge of some sorts...

--B
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 05:57 PM

Currently, none of the USA Steinbergers are available with TransTrems. I'm not sure if there was a stall in production or what, but...it doesn't look good. S & R trems only at this time
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Wow... that must have just changed in the last couple of days. Last time i checked, they still had one or two TransTrem models plus the 12-string. I wonder if they just ran out of parts.

One main factor that's kept me from buying one of the Spirits or one of the new USA 'bergers is that i prefer H-H pickup configs to H-S-H or H-S-S. Nice to see the return of the hard-edged bound body with two humbuckers.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 06:19 PM

Yes, that's VERY sweet! I want the black one with white binding!
From the model number, the "S" means S-trem (still a NICE trem) & the "A" mean active electronics.

Up until last week, they had 3 models with the TransTrem, but for some reason, they took them off. Maybe they're temporarily sold out. Also, I've noticed that the prices on the USA models have come down quite a bit. COOL!

I LOVE Steinys!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

I wonder if the LaBella .011 to .050 stainless steel double-ball strings would be heavy enough to downtune a Steinberger to B without it getting too sloppy. I would imagine a graphite neck and maple body with EMGs would have tons of clarity and defintion. Could be a monstrous low-end beast!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
I wonder if the LaBella .011 to .050 stainless steel double-ball strings would be heavy enough to downtune a Steinberger to B without it getting too sloppy. I would imagine a graphite neck and maple body with EMGs would have tons of clarity and defintion. Could be a monstrous low-end beast!
I order custom sets of LaBella 13-56 on www.JustStrings.com for my Bb-tuned Steinberger GU7R. Those work great. It feels like a set of 10s in E tuning.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Ah, good call... i was just looking at the regular pre-packaged sets.

Hmm...

<trying to fight off a GAS attack...>
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 06:47 PM

I'm on the Yahoo Steinberger site almost every day, so here's the lowdown on the TransTrems... They don't have anymore, and the company that supplies them, Zen-On, is making life difficult for Music Yo. It seems as though Gibson jerked them around a bit for payment (known as a notorious late payer in the industry) and now they are demanding payment up front for the next batch. This is slowing things down, and for now there are no TransTrems to be had for MusicYo. Although Gibson actually owns the tooling and patent for the TransTrem, part of the arrangement from when they took over Steinberger stipulates that they would go through Zen-On for this. At the time it was to take advantage of the cheap Yen, but that benefit quickly disappeared!

So now they are looking for a way to get TransTrems from Zen-On, whether they negotiate or actually pay up front. Paying up front is a lot of cash for MusicYo, which was originally supposed to sell cheap guitars directly from a website, not high-end ones like Steinbergers. Retooling is also too expensive, since they would spend the same money to retool, and then would have to spend more to even make any units. Again, a lack of money issue. So it will be a while before any TransTrems come back in, since they are completely out of them. Don't forget they have to be manaufactured, then shipped over, then assembled. We're talking about 6 months.

As for myself, I picked up a Steinberger Klein GK-4T in Japan last month. Untouched!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Babahi. What's your username on the Steinberger Forum? Since I became a Steiny convert, I'm on there a lot as well. Granted, I own two Spirit models.

I would love to see a Steinberger USA 7-string with a S-trem. <drools>
I don't have much use for the TransTrem, although it's a brilliant idea.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Interesting update, babahi!

MusicYo seems to be out of stock of a LOT of products these days... they look like they're just selling leftovers from models introduced two years ago. I was considering getting one of the Striker 7-strings for a backup guitar, but they don't have any more.

They've hardly introduced any new product this year at all. Their "me too" copycat Les Paul and SG models are really nothing interesting or innovative.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 03:27 PM

Umm, MusicYo is Gibson. That is why they only sell Gibson owned brands.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

I know that. What i'm questioning is why they need Kramer-branded LP and SG ripoffs that look like they came out of the LTD factory.

I suppose they need to have those kinds of models available in the "online only" Kramer brand. If they sold Epiphones direct on MusicYo, it would probably enrage a LOT of Gibson dealers.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 10:53 AM

Talking about MusicYo, that Avante baritone acoustic/electric looks mighty fine!

LordHar.

Tags
darren wilson , les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode