Next Axe advice - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Next Axe advice

I'm about to get int the market to buy my next "serious" guitar. I currently have a Jem 7DBK and absolutely love it. But I now want another quality axe to contrast it. - I don't want another HSH guitar with an double locking trem. Playability and feel is my priority.

I know there is no substitute to trying out, but that's difficult to do locally and I'd really apppreciate some constructive advice to help narrow down my short list. My budget is up to £1500.

I play Satch, Van Halen, general rock type stuff. So here is my current list

1. PRS Custom 22 trem or hard tail - I just love the the looks but I'm not sure about Wide-Fat or Wide-Thin necks.

2. Ibanez RGA321 or 121 - I like the bridge and finish, but I think the basic RG outline shape makes it too similar to my Jem

3. Fender HSS Strat - I've always thought Strats are a bit too bland but obviously are great guitars, are the price premiums for USA models worth it?

4. Ibanez AT300 - Do they play as good as they look ?

5. EBMM Axis or Axis Sport - Great looks, how do they play

Thanks for any help you can give

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:11 PM

Re: Next Axe advice

Get a Fender or G&L Strat. Everyone should have one.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj
Get a Fender or G&L Strat. Everyone should have one.
I thought that - but why .....
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:24 PM

Before I read your list, I was thinking Ibanez RGA, just 'cause that's what's been on my mind lately. The one I tried out played nice, and I liked the bridge, but there was something about the tone of it that wasn't quite to my liking, too trebly or nasal sounding or something. May have been pickups (v7/v8 ) or amp (I think I was playing through one of those Vox combo modelling amps, which usually sound pretty good to me, actually). It was a minor quibble, and could probably be tweaked to my liking with a bridge pickup swap.

Also didn't really like the wood on the top of the guitar for purely cosmetic reasons (looked kind of like the top surface of plywood, just kind of very plain. I guess it was an RGA 121NTF)
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:39 PM

I'd go with one of the Ibanez RGAs simply becuase I love the way Ibanez guitars look and feel (especially the RGs) and that arched top is just beautiful. My second choice with be a PRS custom 22 with a wide-thin neck.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:55 PM

I was thinking about the same lately. I have 2 set necks so I want a good bolt to contrast with my RG prestige. Here's my list:
1) EBMM, luke or Silhoette special HSS. I don't like basswood. if you do, axis will do, too. great neck, great joint. fender type nut angle very different from ibanez's hard tilt back.
2) jackson RR3. affordable. great attitude. if I decide on it I can afford to get it now!!!
3) RGA121, 321. I am drifting away from it tho because it's similar to my RG3120.
as far as playability goes, nobody has anything on musicman. neck shape, neck finish, balance...
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I reckon the PRS might be just a little over the top end of the price range, but they're great guitars, and imho sound very different to a JEM it's far less open, and more restrained to my ears, whether you like that or not...

They feel pretty damn different to me as well. I'd probably go for the stop tail version in 22 frets just to emphasise the difference so to speak. And I'd go for the fat neck too

EBMM Axis would be a cool option, again as withthe PRS, great colour choices and many folks rave about them, I just reckon they're great, not phenomenal, but great none the less. I've always fancied a hardtail version of this.

If you go for a strat I'd say try a SSS version. Again imho, the strat doesn't do the superstrat thing as well as its peers, it's beaten on all fronts, from Ibanez, the freaky over the top JEM, or the ubercool JS, by Anderson and Tyler for the true souped up strat vibe, etc etc. But a SSS strat will always have the fact that its a true strat I hear the Eric Johnson version is amazing!

BUT you say that you like to play Satriani/Van Halen style stuff, so maybe another JEM WOULD be what you need Seriously though, ask yourself if you fancy something even more different? A Telecaster maybe or a Les Paul type? - It's ok to say no OR... if you wouldn't be better picking up something very very similar, a JS1200, for an even closer Satch vibe maybe again it's ok to say no.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 06:36 PM

What about an Ibanez SZ (pick your number)?

That'd be a nice contrast to your Jem, but not so far off that it'll be uncomfortable. I can't even play my strat anymore - the neck feels like a bat (the baseball kind, not the nocturnal kind)...after playing those nice iby necks, it's hard to adjust on-the-fly.

The SZs are neck-thru, mahogany with ibanez/duncan pickups with fixed bridge. The higher the minuer, the purdier the inlay

they're really nice and the price is defintiely right.

~K
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 09:22 PM

G&L strat. excellent pu's on all their models. GREAT feeling neck too. i got mine a week ago and haven't touched my rg550 or anything else since then.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments - a JS1200 is an interesting one ... The red finish is amazing I almost bought one instead of my Jem

Any comments on the AT300?
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 10:47 AM

Hmm, what about a Gretsch?
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 11:00 AM

Can't go wrong with a EB/MM Axis or EVH .

Regards

Andrť

post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
Hmm, what about a Gretsch?
I know I said I'm after something different to my Jem, but you're just be silly !!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150
I know I said I'm after something different to my Jem, but you're just be silly !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey! They look killer, mind you.

But according to your style of music, it's probably like playing Pantera with an L-5.

Okay. My serious suggestion:

I've played a PRS CU24, and it's definitely one of the best guitars I've ever tried. And would you consider 7-strings? Schecter 7's are considered to be very good for the money (with the SD pickups and TonePros bridge). If you want something similar to PRS, you might want to check out Patrick Eggle. Those guitars look sexy.

www.patrickeggle.com
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
Hey! They look killer, mind you.

But according to your style of music, it's probably like playing Pantera with an L-5.

Okay. My serious suggestion:

I've played a PRS CU24, and it's definitely one of the best guitars I've ever tried. And would you consider 7-strings? Schecter 7's are considered to be very good for the money (with the SD pickups and TonePros bridge). If you want something similar to PRS, you might want to check out Patrick Eggle. Those guitars look sexy.

www.patrickeggle.com

They look nice

As for 7 strings, I'm having enough difficulty with the 6 !!!

Tags
alder body , bridge pickup , duncan pickups , ebmm axis , eric johnson , fender strat , fixed bridge , flamed maple , floyd rose , guitar shop , headstock shape , ibanez guitars , ibanez rga , les paul , maple neck , monkey grip , neck finish , neck joint , neck shape , neck thru , patrick eggle , piezo bridge , prs guitar , prs guitars , roman guitars , shawn lane , stephen carpenter , straight neck , suhr guitars , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode