NGD: '08 RGA321 Black Onyx- first Prestige - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

NGD: '08 RGA321 Black Onyx- first Prestige

Sorry for the tease with no pics (coming soon), but needed to share my excitement. 2008 was apparently the only year they made the RGA with passive pickups (DiMarzio/IBZ) in Black Onyx. They went to Ibanez made actives the next year.

Guitar is in excellent+ condition, no nicks or scratches just light buckle rash. However I should say "was"... like a moron I knocked the headstock against my refrigerator of all things while I was checking out the bridge angle, and took a small chip out of the rosewood headstock overlay. I was super super bummed about that but just suppose it means the axe wants to stay with me for a while.

Lastly I'll confirm that the DiMarzio/IBZ pickups are crap sounding. Of course it's subjective so no need for that discussion, but suffice to say they sounded exceptionally thin, overly bright and brittle- totally unusable when clean. I've put a Super 3 in the bridge and Tone Zone in the neck, and wired it so that position 4 gives me just the neck coil of the neck pickup, rather than the neck humbucker in parallel. Needless to say it sounds super fat now, probably too much in the neck. Tone Zone in the neck isn't awful, but it ends up sounding kind of like an EMG...very, very dense, no air, and pretty compressed. Hard to get any dynamics.

Will probably switch out for my Crunch Lab/Liquifire set, though I do find the Liquifire a bit thin in the neck of my other guitars.

Should have pics tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 06:14 PM

Re: NGD: '08 RGA321 Black Onyx- first Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchosilvertone View Post
Sorry for the tease with no pics (coming soon), but needed to share my excitement. 2008 was apparently the only year they made the RGA with passive pickups (DiMarzio/IBZ) in Black Onyx. They went to Ibanez made actives the next year.

Guitar is in excellent+ condition, no nicks or scratches just light buckle rash. However I should say "was"... like a moron I knocked the headstock against my refrigerator of all things while I was checking out the bridge angle, and took a small chip out of the rosewood headstock overlay. I was super super bummed about that but just suppose it means the axe wants to stay with me for a while.

Lastly I'll confirm that the DiMarzio/IBZ pickups are crap sounding. Of course it's subjective so no need for that discussion, but suffice to say they sounded exceptionally thin, overly bright and brittle- totally unusable when clean. I've put a Super 3 in the bridge and Tone Zone in the neck, and wired it so that position 4 gives me just the neck coil of the neck pickup, rather than the neck humbucker in parallel. Needless to say it sounds super fat now, probably too much in the neck. Tone Zone in the neck isn't awful, but it ends up sounding kind of like an EMG...very, very dense, no air, and pretty compressed. Hard to get any dynamics.

Will probably switch out for my Crunch Lab/Liquifire set, though I do find the Liquifire a bit thin in the neck of my other guitars.

Should have pics tomorrow.
Glad she ended up with another Jemsiter. Really cool guitar, kicked myself a few times for parting with her when I did (as is the case any time I let one go). Seriously man, if you've never tried a Suhr Aldrich, I can recommend them enough in those guitars. I had them in the 321s and the 121's and they're just awesome for them.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

I will definitely keep that in mind. Sorry I hurt your baby : )
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 09:36 PM

I personally like the Dimarzio IBZs. They fit exactly with what I want in the sound of my pickups.

Sorry to hear about your headstock. One day last year I was leaving my guitar lesson and the strap on my rg350 bag broke and fell on concrete. It's got a nice little chip on the bottom now. I was so depressed after that happened.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/jo...?sort=3&page=1

Tough to see the maple grain in the pics (it's pretty hard to see in person actually...wish it wasn't stained so dark but oh well). This is "pre-ding."

Now has Crunch Lab and Liquifire combo in it. Much better.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 02:30 PM

RGA321F ('06) will go down as one of the best hard tail Ibanez guitars they've ever made. I wish they made them in more than just 2 colors. I have one in SPB and it kills me that its sitting under a bed not getting played (on the other side of the US).

I don't mind the stock pick ups but maybe I'll change them out someday.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 02:36 PM

I LOVED those bodies. Wish they made a tremolo version.

It was like a mix between an RG and a PRS.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 02:42 PM

I love the faux binding on that. very very cool. I want to try out one of those bridges.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 02:57 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I love the faux binding on that. very very cool. I want to try out one of those bridges.
Me too...... with that 17mm maple cap, that guitar just screams class!!!

HNGD man...... I'd take one just like it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Love it man... that body shape is so sleek and mean at the same time. Enjoy it
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 07:46 PM

One of the best NGD's I've seen on here for a while. Totally love that, really awesome guitar. I have owned/do own RGA321/121's.....seriously underrated guitars and best guitars Ibanez have produced in their respective price ranges for a long time. If you guys get a chance to buy either a 321 or a 121 snap it up...trust me you won't be disappointed.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 06:23 PM

Congrats. I play my 321 regularly, it is by my side at every gig. I have the same finish and feel lucky to have picked it up when i did, they discontinued it when the blue version w/ active pups came out so online stores were blowing them out for very reasonable prices (under $1k).
I put a JB in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. PAF sounds good but I'm going to swap out the JB sometime soon and try something else.

Last edited by screamndemon69; 09-19-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: typos

Tags
black onyx , gibraltar plus , prestige , rga , rga321

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode