NGD - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

NGD

2007 Ibanez ADC 120. Yay. Unboxed it when I got home. Needs cleanup and new strings. Small little les paul type guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 06:24 PM

Re: NGD

Any photos? Not a proper NGD without at least one pic
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublemon View Post
Any photos? Not a proper NGD without at least one pic
I put this in the wrong forum also. Just got a Gibson Dirty Fingers to put in the bridge and Seymour Duncan SH-10 to put in the neck position. Gonna use Les Paul mount rings and get rid of the dog ears.

this is a stock photo I got from google. Need to take pics of my actual guitar!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (4.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by ColonelAngus; 11-04-2015 at 11:33 AM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

so the Ibby's pickups are mounted weirdly or smaller. Can't fit the new ones in! UGG!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelAngus View Post
so the Ibby's pickups are mounted weirdly or smaller. Can't fit the new ones in! UGG!
Are the standard sized humbuckers too wide or too deep?

If they are too deep, there are many a Les Paul/SG/335/V/Explorer player who got a longer legged (deeper) aftermarket humbucker and had to route deeper. It's scary but not uncommon. While the same in length and width, standard PAF humbuckers (like I assume the Dirty Fingers is) has had a range in depth throughout the years. It's not good or bad, but just a variation in the standard humbucker world.

http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/mounting-legs/

Of course there's also the direct mount thing which a lot of players like for a little extra sustain and I don't know if your stock pickups in your Ibanez utilizes this direct mount design.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Are the standard sized humbuckers too wide or too deep?

If they are too deep, there are many a Les Paul/SG/335/V/Explorer player who got a longer legged (deeper) aftermarket humbucker and had to route deeper. It's scary but not uncommon. While the same in length and width, standard PAF humbuckers (like I assume the Dirty Fingers is) has had a range in depth throughout the years. It's not good or bad, but just a variation in the standard humbucker world.

http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/mounting-legs/

Of course there's also the direct mount thing which a lot of players like for a little extra sustain and I don't know if your stock pickups in your Ibanez utilizes this direct mount design.
Yep the VK1 and VK2 are direct mount into the body. The screws are straight up and down in the pickups. The DF & SD have the mounting flanges on each side. They are just a little bit to long to go into the cavity. Can I just make small routes into the wood cavity? I don't want to mess up the looks of the Ibby.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-...Ibanez-ADC-120

this link shows better pics of the pickups
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 12:00 AM

Nice mate
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 01:32 PM

I think you can do a route ears to pickups in the guitar body if you know what you are doing. It's tricky to do well or else the guitar looks hacked up. I would rather hack up the pickups and find a way to direct mount them. This may require routing under the pickups but at least that won't show.

If you do the ears and it's hacked up, at least you can use pickup mounting rings. The overall look won't put up any red flags but you may lose some sustain as nothing rings quite the same way as direct mount. Some claim direct mount is way better while others only notice a small difference. Les Paul and Eddie Van Halen are huge believers in the increased tone by direct mount, and neither got their way in initial guitar models with their name on it.

Here's a direct mount tutorial (but this one on foam, which still works well):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f25_k6dIMWc

Last edited by 63Blazer; 11-08-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode