NGD (1420F w/pix and clip)! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

NGD (1420F w/pix and clip)!

Picked this up last week - took me a few days to take some pics and get the stock pups swapped properly (wiring was a little goofy, Ibanez 4-conductor colors not a direct match with DiMarzio's and its been a while since I fooled with the guts of an Ibanez - my '95 came with DiMarzio's which are still there). I put in a Tone Zone and Evo Neck.

I've been waiting to check one of these out in the flesh since I first read about them several months ago. They finally got around (again) to making a guitar that I personally loved every aspect of! Seemed like in recent years there has always been a little one thing or another being a deal breaker for me...edge zero trems (no effin' thanks), pup config, wacky inlays, colors, whatever. With the 1420F though, ALL things landed 'just so' on ONE guitar (again, for my personal tastes), I HAD to have one, lol! So this thing showed up at a local store and I was actually the first and only guy to check it out because once I played it I never set it down again until it was in my car. Once home and tweaked it was ready for prime time, luckily living up to my expectations/hopes! The 1420F honestly compares really well with my very similar US Custom '95 RG in terms of build quality and tone. Ibhappy

1420F Sample Clip / Download

Looks a little odd in the side by side with the US model but it's just the angle (the stands are different). Peace

Last edited by Kabala; 02-15-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 06:56 AM

Re: NGD (1420F w/pix and clip)!

Nice ax!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:18 PM

Sweet! The red looks fantastic
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:32 PM

Great guitar!! Sounds pretty cool in the clip. Congratz on the new axe. Your USA Custom is amazing as well!!!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks dudes!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:00 PM

Such an 80s stadium rock tone! Exactly how I imagined the Tone Zone to sound
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:37 PM

Reviews: 2

Is it true the top is a veneer maple top? How does that compare to a maple top,,,,just thinner. I'm really looking to get the 1420f black haze model,,,thinking of selling my mint Jackson SL2H to fund it, as I'm just addicted to Ibanez necks now.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:31 AM

Reviews: 23
Cool Re: NGD (1420F w/pix and clip)!

I seriously want one of these so bad! If only I had the cash )

Congrats on the score!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 01:03 AM

Reviews: 11

GREAT looking guitar! congrats mate!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:03 PM

Very nice guitar! Congrats!

Do you have a wiring diagram for the dimarzios? I have an RG1520A that i put dimarzios in but i'm not sure they are wired correctly.

Last edited by Sledgeman; 08-13-2010 at 04:36 PM.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 01:34 PM

nice pics, nice guitar, and nice clip ala VanHalen ! thumbup !
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments!

@ lynchfan...yeah, it's only about an 1/8 top/veneer rather than a thicker top like my US Nez but at least it's not a lame 'photo finish.' It enhances the tone a little - I say that having recently sold my previous Prestige (an all basswood RG1550) which was sporting the exact same pups that are now in this new 1420F and played through the same rig - so the comparison is legit (I made clips and compared)...this guitar has a touch more clarity and punch, a little more liveliness I suppose, breathes more on the high end. I don't think I'll ever bother picking up a pure basswood axe again, nothing wrong with 'em, just that for my money and through my particular amps/cabs, the maple toppings/caps (of variable thicknesses) on three guitars for me now have ALL proven to be sonically better, eh.

@ sledgeman...there are many wiring diagrams floating around out there but of course I couldn't find jack to help me with swapping out these stock pups with DiMarzios (and I searched everywhere). I ended up having to figure it out through lots of trial and error, was pretty frustrating actually to think I had it, then fire it up through the amp and discover something (a switch position) was still off. It was basically a proccess of elimination but I did enventually get it all dead right.

This is off memory as I'm at work at the moment (but I did take notes - HAD to ;-) so I kinda remember what I ended up with:

Dimarzio wires on left, switch/stock wires on right...

Bridge PUP:

Red to Red
Black and White to White
Green and Bare to Bare

Neck PUP:

Red to Green
Black to Red
Green to Black
White to White
Bare to Bare

Last edited by Kabala; 01-06-2011 at 11:15 AM.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:39 PM

That sounds amazing! I prefer the black one, but that's beautiful, man! Congratulations on a great guitar!

What gear did you use to record that? The amp sounds kind of Marshall-esque (maybe even a Mesa Mark series?)..... and, what mics/ software?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
What gear did you use to record that? The amp sounds kind of Marshall-esque (maybe even a Mesa Mark series?)..... and, what mics/ software?
Thanks! The full chain for that clip is:

New Guitar () > OD808 > Splawn Quick Rod > Egnater 2x12 Cab > Dual Mic'd (sm57/e906) > ProFire 610 pre/Interface > Cubase 5. Verb added after tracking (Lexicon PCM Native vst).
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 06:36 PM

Did you notice a big difference from the stock V6 pups with the Tone Zone? I bought a Tone Zone and Air Norton a few days after I got my 1420F but still haven't had them installed. The stock pups are sounding pretty good to me now and I only wanna install the Dimarzio's if its a noticeable improvement.

Tags
1420f tonezone evo neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode