NGD: 1987 440P, any insight on how rare and/or sought after these are? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

NGD: 1987 440P, any insight on how rare and/or sought after these are?

I didn't even know these guitars existed until I ran across this one in a pawn shop yesterday.

I knew it was the Power body shape, and the serial number dates the guitar to '87 so I thought I'd stumbled across one of the PRO540's, but there were some clear differences between the 540P and this guitar, that initially left me befuddled and wondering if it was a fake, oddity, rarity, spot production model, etc.

In contrast to the 540P this guitar has:
- A non-recessed Edge tremolo
- HSS pickup configuration
- One volume, one tone, with the "duo sound" push/push feature to split the humbucker (yes, push/push, not push/pull)
- 5 way selector switch (no toggle switches like the 540P has)
- The neck heel isn't the tilt joint like the 540p, it's a standard square heel

The guitar looked too legitimate for anything to be amiss, so I picked it up and after doing some research and browsing through the extremely limited internet presence of anything about this guitar, I've positively identified the guitar as a 1987 RG440P (I've now taken the neck off and the neck pocket stamp confirms this).

The finish on the neck for these were called "mat finish" which I would take to mean very little finish on the neck, but it feels like there's no finish at all to me. It feels amazing. I have a 1989 RG760 with an original Wizard neck that's wicked fast, and the neck on this 440p is faster than any RG I've ever played.

The pickups and electronics all work and appear to be original (humbucker says "Ibanez Vintage" on the inner coil and both singles are super 8s)

So it seems like this Ibby is pretty uncommon, and I feel like I scored a pretty awesome axe (particularly considering it seems to be all original, and in damn fine shape for a 23 year old Ibanez), but I was wondering what the resident experts here at Jemsite know and/or think about these guitars and their rarity or desirability to collectors.

Any thoughts?

I'll post some more pics later after I clean her up, give her some TLC, and reassemble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new 003.jpg (50.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg new 002.jpg (48.1 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: NGD: 1987 440P, any insight on how rare and/or sought after these are?

Great find. What did you pay for it, just out of curiosity?

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 05:58 PM

Reviews: 120

Very awesome find there, congratulations.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 09:37 PM

Here ya go,440p.
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...t_id=141&now=1
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...t_id=141&now=0
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 09:44 PM

Reviews: 4

Welcome to the club!!!!
Here is mine in black (also, note the original "Ibanez Edge" tag that was in the case )

..and a quick shot of my 540P:

..by the way, Nuno (a member on here and HUGE "power" series fan) found a seafoam green one of the 440P models....pretty cool, as it's an original finish, but not shown in the catalogs...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link to the catalog, I found it this afternoon and it was what really shed light on what I'd found.

That black 440P is saweeet, and darn minty from the looks of it! I nearly bought a 540P in Carotene Orange after the guy failed to sell it on the bay just a few weeks back, and another guy was willing to go a little higher than I was.

As for what I paid for my 440P, the guy didn't know what he had, but he knew he had something fairly unusual, so I couldn't get him down under $275. Not the steal I wanted to get it for, but the guitar is in pretty amazing condition save one dent in the paint the size of a dime on the back bottom edge, and it's unusual enough that I had to have it, so I feel like I came out of the deal in good shape.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightDies View Post
...I was wondering what the resident experts here at Jemsite know and/or think about these guitars and their rarity or desirability to collectors.
i'm a huge fan of the Power series, rather than an "expert", i own 4 now (two 440P and two 540P), and i can't stop getting them. after collecting about 30 Ibanezs so far and trying hundreds, i just got stuck on them about anything: neck dimension, fret size, pickups combos, body size, sound, trem, looks etc. i can't find minus.
but luckily, their desirability to the mass is rather low, which makes them pretty cheap and relatively easy to find (not that kind of guitars that people won't part from).
as for rarity, their enough rare, but what keep wondering me is that it's very difficult to find a "common" 440P or 540P, they're very often different each others, i.e. pickup combos, colors, 5-way selector or 3 mini-switches or 3-way toggle, 1 volume with no tone or 1 volume + 1 tone or 2 volume + 1 tone etc. RGs change the model number as one of these factors change, but a P is always a P, no matter how many pickups, what pickups combo, or what controls layout it's got. for example, look at my case:

540P: HSS, 1v, 1t, 3-mini switches, IBZ/USA pickups, olive metallic;
540P: (triple-coil humbucker), 1v, no tone, 3-mini switches, IBZ/USA pickup, five alarm red;
440P: HSS, 1v, 3-mini switches, Ibanez very cheap pickups, black;
440P: HH, 1v, 1v, 1t, 3-way toggle, Ibanez active pickups, caribbean blue;

no one it's the same. is it just me? gotta love'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
..by the way, Nuno (a member on here and HUGE "power" series fan) found a seafoam green one of the 440P models....pretty cool, as it's an original finish, but not shown in the catalogs...
and... here we go!

just got 2 pink DiMarzios from Jaden to put on this baby, and a set of original white-base pink DiMarzio knobs too! yay!

Last edited by nuno; 05-03-2010 at 03:29 AM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Have to resurrect this thread. I've got the 440P cleaned up and reassembled and man oh man. I've got some guitars that I LOVE like you can't believe - beautiful instruments that I've paid **** tons of money for...but I honestly don't know if I've ever had the chemistry I have with this guitar with any other axe.

I've heard people talk about guitars that "play themselves" but I've never experienced it until this one, I plugged her in and it just flowed out of her.

I considered upgrading the pups from the originals, but no way in hell...the "vintage" has a perfect bite that's great for anything other than more extreme right hand stuff, and sounds fantastic for shred, and the cleans on the middle, neck, and combinations just have so much sparkle and depth - very, very strat like (which I'm sure is helped by the alder body).

I bought the guitar thinking it would be something cool to own, that while cool may have little practical application, but man was I wrong. Color me stoked, and a Power convert. FANTASTIC guitar.

Oh, and to make it even better the shop I bought it from had a 50% off sale a few days after I bought it, so I returned it and bought it again and came out at a grand total of $177. SCORE!

I'll upload some pics soon.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Color me stoked, and a Power convert...
welcome to the club!

Quote:
the shop I bought it from had a 50% off sale a few days after I bought it, so I returned it and bought it again and came out at a grand total of $177...
guys! Gordon's a Jemsite member!!!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 07:43 PM

Reviews: 4

and... here we go!

Looks great Nuno... I'm curious if if there are any other colors that didn't make the catalog..
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 01:59 AM

Time to resurrect this again.

I got one today in white, with a few dings on the body. Neck in great condition, edge trem in mint. The neck is nice, but it is no way faster than the wizard 1. The 1980s RG550 is still my fav.

Without this thread I wouldn't know what I had gotten. Thanks!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winaki View Post
The neck is nice, but it is no way faster than the wizard 1.
because it IS a Wizard 1. congrats and welcome to the small club
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Oh. I thought the neck guide said it was an Ultra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
because it IS a Wizard 1. congrats and welcome to the small club
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 11:44 AM

Reviews: 11

That guitar makes me cry.. I had one of those and stupidly exchanged it to Jackson 7-string dinky.. Stupid me! It was a wicked guitar.. And I paid 200€ for it. *sob*
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostStorm View Post
That guitar makes me cry.. I had one of those and stupidly exchanged it to Jackson 7-string dinky.. Stupid me! It was a wicked guitar.. And I paid 200 for it. *sob*
That is a sad story. I will sob for you as well. On another note, Vittu Perkele!

Oulu was the birthplace (and deathplace) of my favorite band Sentenced, so it's cool to see someone from Suomi around these parts. And before you slag me for it, all of the other Finlanders I know give me crap for loving Sentenced, and I am unashamed!

Tags
440 power , 440p , 540p , 540p2 , 540pii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

1987 ibanez RG440P

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode