NGD: 1992 RT 650 (?) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

NGD: 1992 RT 650 (?)

Caught this classifieds steal this week with hardshell (non original, but good US-made) case from a guy who's had it since 2002 and never played it. Needed a little TLC but I am amazed at the condition overall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

From the information I could find it appeared that the quilted gravure top (veneer? Photo-finish?) automatically qualifies it as a 650. However I'd also read that the 650's had push-pull pot(s) to split the humbuckers in positions 1 & 5, which this one does not (and I don't miss it).

This is an ultra RG to me as I have always loved the comfortable body shape of RGs, but have no use for a locking trem (and all the tone it robs) and find the Wizard necks far too thin and uncomfortable. I would like one a touch thicker than this Viper neck but it's very comfortable overall. I also prefer rosewood boards and do not care for basswood, so the alder body of this RT really does it for me.

BTW the bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan '59 and sounds terrific. I will probably get a matching zebra '59 neck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: NGD: 1992 RT 650 (?)

Happy NGD!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 PM

Gravure does denote a photo-finish top. And it is a 650 so I'd guess that the push-pull was swapped for a regular pot when the bridge pup was replaced. Nice guitars, eh?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Ridiculously nice overall. I will probably install a string tree, and the nut on this one has a problem on the high E slot which causes it to pop out frequently, but those are easy fixes.

Perhaps its the thicker Viper neck (compared to the Wizard I I'm familiar with) but the guitar overall feels much more solid than my RG550. I personally get nervous everytime I use the whammy bar (or "rip stick" as one of my 8 year old guitar students calls it : ) and I can just watch the headstock move up and down. I think I'm just not a Floyd guy.

Anyway I also think the pots were replaced with 500 K of some good quality. I can't make out what they say on the pots but they are much larger than the 250k pots on my 550 and the tone and volume are much, much more responsive. I also notice that I'm not losing hardly any treble when I turn my volume down, though I don't see any new caps or anything installed to suggest a treble bleed... whatever it is, it works.

Now just to change the other two pickups, install the string tree, and get a bone nut carved for it. I don't mind dropping a little money on this one because I'll play it more than my others and I got it for a song.

Any other RT lovers out there?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:06 PM

1992 is definitively a GREAT year !

Congrats mate ! *thumbsup*
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchosilvertone View Post
I will probably install a string tree, and the nut on this one has a problem on the high E slot which causes it to pop out frequently ...
Any other RT lovers out there?
For some reason, the high-E popping out of the nut is a common well-known issue on the RT650. Oddly, I've never had that problem on the RT450, although both models have straight headstocks (not angled) with the same drop below the nut. The 450 neck is also a "Viper" but has no binding and feels considerably different than the 650 necks. The only RT with factory string trees is the RT150. The solution for the 650 is either string trees or multiple low wraps on the high E to improve the break angle over the nut.

There are lots of RT lovers out there. They're far less common these days than they used to be because most of the people that have them realize they're a keeper.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

I hope fixing my nut will take care of it, but along with my nut problem there's that awful "tink" sound coming from between the tuning machine and the nut... I will try more wraps next time. I've got no use for locking tuners either, for that reason (no break angle).

I'll much sooner get rid of my 550 than the RT. It's got IT.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
There are lots of RT lovers out there. They're far less common these days than they used to be because most of the people that have them realize they're a keeper.
yes indeed. there are few of us, but we are rabid in our rt love. hell i have 7 rt450s, lol.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 06:39 PM

Reviews: 2

nice looking guitar

Tags
rt series , rt650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode