NGD: 1st J Custom - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
NGD: 1st J Custom

Got my 1st J Custom this weekend. Never thought I would ever play one let alone own one. Got a steal on this players condition 2007 Ibanez J Custom RG8320. Probably one of the last of these made since serial is F07256xx Alder body, Edge Pro and EMG 81/85 set. Probably the least desirable J for a lot of people but fits the bill perfectly for me. The most exquisite neck I have ever felt. Super smooth playability. I don't normally care for cleared neck backs but whatever this velvet-tough treatment they do leaves it smoother than any fine sanding and tung oil finish I've done to all my other necks. The fretboard is a spectacular piece of dark rosewood that I love. The fit on the neck pocket is perfect. Not only can you see the attention to detail on the neck you can feel it in your hand when playing. Thanks to Rich and the ultra fast post office, I got the stud mod for the Edge Pro. Installed and works great. My 1st Edge Pro and am pretty happy with it. Seems to work just as well as the original Edge.
After and afternoon tear down, cleaning, board conditioning, fret polish, new set of Daddario NYXLs and a set-up, this is the best playing Ibanez I have ever played. No adjustment need on the relief (was perfect) and the action as low as I've ever been able to set (no neck shim either) at 1.5mm on bass side and 1.2mm on treble side with no buzzing and no bend choking. Just amazing.
The only thing it was missing was the J Custom certificate. Has the J Custom logo case with 2 tool bags. One with allens and truss wrench and one with the Gotoh strap locks. Warranty card and 8320 hang tag and some weird fold out with all Japanese writing and funny how-to drawings.
Got some paint wear, mostly under pickups from anchoring for solos, and moderate fretwear but nothing that needs addressed for awhile. EMGs are pretty sterile sounding but I'm sure I can liven them up with some EQing. Bought it to play and will become my main player along with the JEM 7VWH.
What sets the J Custom apart from any other Ibanez is the absolute best playing neck any one in the world can build. The rounded fretends and rolled fretboard edges. The JCAANJ is suberb for upper fret access and just fits the edge of your hand and perfectly. Never seen the Gotoh strap locks on anything before and work great. The perfectly fit neck joint.
Anyone know how many of these were built? How extremely limited are they?

Last edited by metalhead52; 03-01-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Re: NGD: 1st J Custom

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 01:28 PM

Reviews: 10

Awesome - great score! Congratulations on your J Custom! Nothing wrong with player's condition if you're happy with how it plays and sounds. Sounds like the neck is dreamy to play. I've been eyeing a couple of J Customs on Rich's site too but I just can't seem to drum up enough cash to make it happen =[ some day I hope - J Custom is a dream guitar. Happy you were able to find one - congrats man!!!
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Killer deal off the bay. Couldn't pass it up. Still can't believe I was the only bidder. Very happy with it. Not a fan of black guitars but this biker black finish is awesome. Looks like leather.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 03:14 PM

Reviews: 7

I want a J Custom... Super jelly haha! Congrats on a super sexy guitar, bro.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 10:25 PM

Reviews: 2

**** man
pM if and when you wanna trade for an 8 string nice
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Won't be getting rid of this. Best Ibanez I've ever played. Although I love the neck on my '93 VWH this is better. Feels like running your hand down a supermodels leg. Smooth and perfect. Put it through it's paces Friday night at band practice and it is now nicknamed "The Beast". I think it may have stainless frets. There was no tarnish on them when I got it and after playing this for a number of hours all week plus 3 hours at band practice they still shine like new. I know the guy I bought it from played many shows with it also and I doubt he polished them. Never was a big fan of EMGs but with some EQing on my BOSS they absolutely scream. Wish I could find more detailed specs for this 8320.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 04:03 PM

Congratz on your first JC!! Those are great guitars and I agree
the necks are insanely good. I think the EMG's work very well
in them. Only downside is that the finish on those does wear
but great playing and sounding guitars....a very underrated
J Custom model.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
Got my 1st J Custom this weekend. Never thought I would ever play one let alone own one. Got a steal on this players condition 2007 Ibanez J Custom RG8320. Probably one of the last of these made since serial is F07256xx Alder body, Edge Pro and EMG 81/85 set. Probably the least desirable J for a lot of people but fits the bill perfectly for me. The most exquisite neck I have ever felt. Super smooth playability. I don't normally care for cleared neck backs but whatever this velvet-tough treatment they do leaves it smoother than any fine sanding and tung oil finish I've done to all my other necks. The fretboard is a spectacular piece of dark rosewood that I love. The fit on the neck pocket is perfect. Not only can you see the attention to detail on the neck you can feel it in your hand when playing. Thanks to Rich and the ultra fast post office, I got the stud mod for the Edge Pro. Installed and works great. My 1st Edge Pro and am pretty happy with it. Seems to work just as well as the original Edge.
After and afternoon tear down, cleaning, board conditioning, fret polish, new set of Daddario NYXLs and a set-up, this is the best playing Ibanez I have ever played. No adjustment need on the relief (was perfect) and the action as low as I've ever been able to set (no neck shim either) at 1.5mm on bass side and 1.2mm on treble side with no buzzing and no bend choking. Just amazing.
The only thing it was missing was the J Custom certificate. Has the J Custom logo case with 2 tool bags. One with allens and truss wrench and one with the Gotoh strap locks. Warranty card and 8320 hang tag and some weird fold out with all Japanese writing and funny how-to drawings.
Got some paint wear, mostly under pickups from anchoring for solos, and moderate fretwear but nothing that needs addressed for awhile. EMGs are pretty sterile sounding but I'm sure I can liven them up with some EQing. Bought it to play and will become my main player along with the JEM 7VWH.
What sets the J Custom apart from any other Ibanez is the absolute best playing neck any one in the world can build. The rounded fretends and rolled fretboard edges. The JCAANJ is suberb for upper fret access and just fits the edge of your hand and perfectly. Never seen the Gotoh strap locks on anything before and work great. The perfectly fit neck joint.
Anyone know how many of these were built? How extremely limited are they?
Least desirable with alder body, Edge Pro, and 81/85? That's a pretty mean metal guitar and in the world of metal Ibanez and active EMGs are more than fairly represented. No I wouldn't see this as the ultimate country western guitar or rockabilly guitar, but for high octane rock, this thing has it all. Many congrats.

If money was no object I would go with a J Custom with basswood body in either gloss or matte black, chrome Original Edge, and JB/'59 but would not have a problem at all with what you have. The goalposts of whatever hot sound you want is totally within realm of what you have.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 05:46 PM

Awesome score man, There's nothing un-desireable about this guitar at all. If anything, it breaks out of the "hum-drum" mold the JC's have fallen into.

I'll add that enough just CANNOT be said about how good these JC necks are. All "fanboy" crap aside, there's nothing else out there that compares to them in feel and stability. They really help instil a sense of confidence when you play them and maybe even more creativity because of it.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Awesome score man, There's nothing un-desireable about this guitar at all. If anything, it breaks out of the "hum-drum" mold the JC's have fallen into.

I'll add that enough just CANNOT be said about how good these JC necks are. All "fanboy" crap aside, there's nothing else out there that compares to them in feel and stability. They really help instil a sense of confidence when you play them and maybe even more creativity because of it.
Totally agree Ryc. When a Wizard or Super Wizard neck is given the 'J Custom'
treatment they really are something else. Even the way the heels are sculpted
on JC's makes the playing experience that bit more special. These subtle differences
can never be captured fully on pics and only when you actually play one of the real
McCoys do you actually appreciate how much attention to detail goes into these guitars.

JC's come in for a lot of negative press from guys who've never played one. A lot of that
comes from the Custom not being really a Custom build thing. Ibanez have never claimed
that they are Custom builds.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Must be less desirable for most ibby fans for the price I got. Other than the paint loss from finger anchoring and the missing certificate, this is in really nice shape for a player. No chips in headstock and no dings in the back of the neck and the horns are clean. I expected the worst for $700 and was very happy with the condition. All the neck finishing work on this, and I'm sure every J Custom, is what sets it apart. Never in a million years did I expect to own one and feel very privileged to. Most people probably wouldn't take it to the bar let alone out of the case but this will be my main guitar when we start playing out this spring. With my BOSS it does everything from Grand Funk and AC/DC to Tesla to Megadeth. Not a 1 trick pony like my Dean VMNT was. Really happy with the Edge Pro too. Suprisingly every bit as good as the original or Lo-Pro.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
Must be less desirable for most ibby fans for the price I got. Other than the paint loss from finger anchoring and the missing certificate, this is in really nice shape for a player. No chips in headstock and no dings in the back of the neck and the horns are clean. I expected the worst for $700 and was very happy with the condition. All the neck finishing work on this, and I'm sure every J Custom, is what sets it apart. Never in a million years did I expect to own one and feel very privileged to. Most people probably wouldn't take it to the bar let alone out of the case but this will be my main guitar when we start playing out this spring. With my BOSS it does everything from Grand Funk and AC/DC to Tesla to Megadeth. Not a 1 trick pony like my Dean VMNT was. Really happy with the Edge Pro too. Suprisingly every bit as good as the original or Lo-Pro.
$700 is insanely low for used Ibanez J Custom. I can see that much for a used Ibanez Prestige RG, used Fender American Std. strat or tele, or for used mid-level Gibson Les Paul Studio. But wouldn't the average used J Custom go from at least $1,200 or $1,500 and up?
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 11:28 AM

WOW....$700? unbelievable.........

I'm sure it's the paint wear that stopped other buyers from bidding it up. I think that most people in the market for a JC are looking for something pristine. This leaves a wide open market for the guitars that have some "character". Still, $700 is, by far, the lowest I've ever heard of. Throw a JB/Jazz set in there for the fun of it. I think the duncans and alder go together like chocolate and cherries.

BTW.... where did your pics go?
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Pics back up.

Last edited by metalhead52; 03-09-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Tags
rg8320

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode