NGD: 2005 PRS Singlecut - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

NGD: 2005 PRS Singlecut

I grabbed a Singlecut SE on a whim a few years ago as a fun "different" guitar from pretty much everything else I own (mostly superstrats), and recently decided I had too many guitars so I wanted to thin the herd and get rid of some of the cheaper specific-purpose guitars I owned in favor of a handful of nicer ones. Around that same time, a buddy of mine listed this for sale, since the tone didn't really work for the band he was playing in (it sounded too smooth next to his Les Paul). So, a rather nice Warmoth that I no longer really had a purpose for went, as well as an older passive Schecter C7 that was my seven string rhythm recording guitar, and the SE will be going as well once I find a buyer, in favor this as my 6 string rhythm (possibly occasionally detuning to B for lower riffs that don't need the higher strings - for those, my PWH will get used) and "when I want to sound like Slash" lead guitar:

It's stamped as a 2005, meaning it was either one of the last '04s built before Gibson's injunction halted production that didn't shift until PRS won their appeal in '05, or one of the first '05's made after their win. 25" scale, mahogany body, gorgeous (and thick!) flamed maple top... It's gonna take me a while to get used to the 2 vol/2 tone control arrangement, but it's a cool guitar. I got a particularly nice PRS SE (I played the entire inventory of two Guitar Centers before I bought it, lol), but this one is definitely in a whole different league, and I didn't feel the same way about most of the more contemporary PRS models I was playing while shopping for that SE. Currently it's got a set of Duncan Alnico IIs in it, which sound great - I have the original PRS pickups and I may toss them back in just for kicks to see how they sound, but I don't really hear any reason to change the tone, it's a great sounding guitar.

I never really saw myself as the sort to own a PRS - I've always seen them as "lawyer guitars" (and, sure enough, when I posted a picture on facebook, a guy I used to jam with who I haven't spoken to in years sent me a PM and said I should really check out his shop he's a manager at down in Austin, because they have a lot of really nice gear - two Suhrs didn't elicit that response, but a much cheaper PRS did ). But, it's a killer guitar, looks awesome, and is very different (in tone, feel, and the sort of stuff it inspires me to play) than the rest of my collection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 11:10 AM

Re: NGD: 2005 PRS Singlecut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I never really saw myself as the sort to own a PRS - I've always seen them as "lawyer guitars"
Hahaha same here man, i see the pictures of these guitars and i kinda want one... but then i kinda don't lol, i have no problem playing les pauls but there is something about PRS that although they look beautiful with their stunning maple tops and and superb craftsmanship that makes me want to stay away from them... even though i kinda want one.

Anyway nice guitar Drew the top looks amazing and i'm sure its even better in person.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it's a really acoustically vibrant guitar, especially (shockingly) higher up on the neck.

This kind of ticks the LP box, without actually BEING a Les Paul, which is I think why I like it.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 04:09 PM

Nice Drew!!! Big fan of the PRS stuff. Especially love the birds. I think that is a better way to do an LP!!!!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I agree. It's just a cool guitar, very different from anything else I own, and I enjoy that.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 02:33 PM

Drew, this is a nice find.

Having owned Les Pauls I can say it does cover a sound that superstrats don't get exactly.

But with the PRS you have the Les Paul thing going on but with a better, longer scale neck and hotter humbuckers, and of course a better neck on the PRS.

The wood on PRS guitars are better with PRS and PRS SE than with Gibson USA and Epiphone. The very early PRS guitars in the 1980s had huge, deep maple tops and were still boutique-made more than production-made but that didn't suit the cost of manufacturing well, but the PRS tops today are still better and thicker and anybody else out there outside of a few super high end guitars.

If you are interested if the PRS thing turns you on, I know a great dealer of the vintage PRS stuff, including old PRS stuff made just by Paul himself when he made them at home. He of course took the best concepts of Fender and Gibson and made a guitar that could suit the needs of both types of players.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 03:41 PM

Looks uber classy. Nice score. How big is the step up between the SE models
and the real McCoy?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Well, I had a very good SE, but I remember mine being not much worse than a "real" PRS I picked up to compare it to in the same GC.

This one is definitely in a different league, though. Way more resonant, and the body is actually quite a bit thicker. The cosmetics are a no brainer - photoflame veneer over maple vs maybe 1/2-3/4" of flamed maple, and a very 3D finish, but this one is just very acoustically alive, and notes just bloom, especially in the upper registers. The SE was fine, and an absolutely awesome guitar for the price, but not really in the same league.

How mine compares to an off-the-wall 10-top PRS you'd pick up in a GC today? No clue.

63 - I'm actually usually NOT into PRS guitars (I like the Singlecuts, but I've never really been that drawn to the Customs), and the collector mentality around older PRS guitars and how "pre-CNC" or whatever ones (early 90s, I think, is the drop-dead date for hardcore collectors?) are the ones to go for really just turns me off. No interest to get into that rabbit hole.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:

63 - I'm actually usually NOT into PRS guitars (I like the Singlecuts, but I've never really been that drawn to the Customs), and the collector mentality around older PRS guitars and how "pre-CNC" or whatever ones (early 90s, I think, is the drop-dead date for hardcore collectors?) are the ones to go for really just turns me off. No interest to get into that rabbit hole.
I don't know if the 80s (up through '92) PRS ones had that air dried wood like the expensive woods at Alembic or if they are more economically kiln dried like everybody else. I don't even know if there is an actual difference on a solidbody. The old ones are incredibly resonant unplugged unlike anything I have ever plunked on (except maybe for Vigiers). Those old PRS ones are absolutely breathtaking but so is the price of that golden era from them. It's their pre-CBS Fender or pre-mid-60s Gibson. At least some Ibanez golden era are still somewhat affordable.

I hope your new guitar gets you into PRS. It's one of those jack of all trades guitars that get a remarkable range of tones for one guitar and arguably the single most versatile solidbody. I don't know if you have push pull but that would be amazing, too.

I just saw the site and the PRS 513 seems to be the most possible sounds with a pretty easy switching arrangement.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 12-11-2015 at 10:34 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Eh, I'm a strat/superstrat guy at heart, always have been, probably always will be. This is a fun guitar, but really I just bought it as a six string to record rhythm guitar parts with, and while it's a killer guitar, it's not going to eclipse my Suhr any time soon.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Eh, I'm a strat/superstrat guy at heart, always have been, probably always will be. This is a fun guitar, but really I just bought it as a six string to record rhythm guitar parts with, and while it's a killer guitar, it's not going to eclipse my Suhr any time soon.
Actually me, too. I don't have any strats right now among the guitars I do have. But with what variations there is to the strat, every possible sound is out there so it's never dull shopping. Not that I have money but Vigier looks really nice.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Actually me, too. I don't have any strats right now among the guitars I do have. But with what variations there is to the strat, every possible sound is out there so it's never dull shopping. Not that I have money but Vigier looks really nice.
This thing pretty much ended my superstrat GAS:

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
This thing pretty much ended my superstrat GAS:

That's a real beauty. What pups does it have?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

At the time that was taken either the stock Suhrs (which were good) or Bareknuckle Rebel Yells (which I liked, but were a little weak). At the moment, an Air Norton and a Tone Zone (which broadly I like, but probably won't be the last pickups in her).
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
At the time that was taken either the stock Suhrs (which were good) or Bareknuckle Rebel Yells (which I liked, but were a little weak). At the moment, an Air Norton and a Tone Zone (which broadly I like, but probably won't be the last pickups in her).
Black Winter 7 could put your 6th and 7th string into play and add midrange and not be too muddy if you play a lot of riffs on those two strings. And certainly not underpowered. I notice a lot of 7 string guitars just have that 7th string be a flappy afterthought and no tightness.

Tags
ngd , prs , singlecut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode