NGD: 2014 Prestige ARZ6 Uppercut Singlecut - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

NGD: 2014 Prestige ARZ6 Uppercut Singlecut

I'd been looking for one of these ever since they were announced last year and was finally able to score one. Seems like there aren't alot of them floating around yet. Mine arrived early in the week, but I've been playing it so much I hadn't taken time to do an NGD thread yet, and man is it an incredible instrument! Not posting too many pics, just a couple crappy iPhone shots, but you can get my drift.

It's great to see Bare Knuckles coming standard in a major manufacturer's offerings, and once again Ibanez is ahead of the pack by doing so. Having order from BKP several times, I can't say enough about what a great product they make, what nice people they are, and what an outstanding level of service they provide. Tim is just a class act, and I'm incredibly excited to see them garnering the well deserved attention and respect.

For the past year and a half or so, I've really been on a big singlecut (largely Les Paul) bender. I always thought Ibanez had a winner with the ARZ shape, and had hoped they would one day give it the proper MIJ Prestige or, better yet J-Custom treatment and IMO opinion they really outdid themselves with these guitars. I hope this line sells well, and Ibanez has incentive to do a J-custom ARZ. If they came out with one that had a nice figured top (or an Edge! Give me one with an Edge!), and showed off some nice woods, I'd be on it like white on rice, and I think they could do well.

Though this particular instrument is clearly geared toward metal, it's almost like they perfected the singlecut design. In so many ways, it really is the best playing singlecut I've ever played. It's like someone finally looked at all of the super-obvious faults with more traditional single cutaway guitars, and just made one that gets out of your way and doesn't make you "fight" it to play. It's like Ibanez finally made that Singlecut I'd always wanted them too!

The neck profile is generally just about perfect. I think anyone who is pretty exclusively a Les Paul player would get along very well with it, and for those like me who tend toward slimmer necks, it's also not to fat, not too round, and not too "deep" at the shoulders. It's difficult to describe, but it's not too thick or thin anywhere on the neck.

They also took the 25in scale that I love on my PRS SC250, but got rid of the bulky neck heel that Gibson and PRS have and replaced it with an uber-awesome sculpted heel that gives upper fret access to your heart's content.

It's a weighty guitar for sure, though I haven't weighed it to get a precise weight, it's right up there with some of my 9lb-ish Gibsons, and has the chunk, sustain, and depth to the sound to go along with it. It came from the factory tuned in D Standard tuning, and between the BKP Nailbombs and the lower tuning, this thing is just a riffing MONSTER.

Though it's almost like comparing apples to oranges, I'll add that this guitar just destroys any ESP Eclipse I've ever owned, include my Alex Skolnick signature, which is generally an incredible guitar, and for my purposes, it stands above all of my Gibson LPs as well.

I'll stop blathering now, but if you've got G.A.S. and you've been curious about one of these, I think you would be wise to give one a shot. It is an awesome, awesome guitar.

My only gripe is, I got it and somehow in less than a week I've lost my toggle switch tip!? Ah well, thank goodness for Rich!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 09:14 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: NGD: 2014 Prestige ARZ6 Uppercut Singlecut

First off, for you to do an NGD, I KNOW it has to be for something really special....LOL

I'm embarrassed to say that I had to go back to Ibanez.com to look up the specs on this thing. Your really not kidding are you? Hoshino took all the stops out when they decided to give Gibson the middle finger by releasing this guitar.

From the bound, dead clean, ebony fretboard, that incredible heel, and 24 jumbo frets, to the BKP's that are NOT in there for the whimps- this guitar is pure win. Looking at the specs- the neck dimensions seem to fall quite a bit slimmer than a Gibson, but not so much as to be an RG "wanna be". Add on top of all that the belly cut? Seriously! If Fujigen did a good job putting all these pieces together- that guitar is one serious FU to the "good ole" boys in Nashville.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 09:16 PM

Reviews: 2

I actually hope that, far down the road, you get sick of that finish and decide to strip it. I think it would be awesome to see the maple and mahogany that's underneath it. Even if you did a "Truckster" finish- it would look absolutely killer, IMO.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 09:40 PM

That is fantastic. I just sold my LP because the neck was like a baseball bat, literally, a ball could have cleared the Green Monster with that thing. May look towards one of the Ibanez ARZ's if that urge hits again. Good to know there is an Ibby out there.

Congrats!!!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 10:11 PM

Reviews: 1

Nice. Looks really sinister. I just bought my 1st single cutaway. 2015 Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus. Really nice Ibanez thin neck on it. Takes a little getting used to the non-rg shape but really dig the weight and sustain. That ARZ6 looks like a tone monster. Just wish they did some block inlays on it to further stick it to Gibson though. Enjoy!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
First off, for you to do an NGD, I KNOW it has to be for something really special....LOL

I'm embarrassed to say that I had to go back to Ibanez.com to look up the specs on this thing. Your really not kidding are you? Hoshino took all the stops out when they decided to give Gibson the middle finger by releasing this guitar.

From the bound, dead clean, ebony fretboard, that incredible heel, and 24 jumbo frets, to the BKP's that are NOT in there for the whimps- this guitar is pure win. Looking at the specs- the neck dimensions seem to fall quite a bit slimmer than a Gibson, but not so much as to be an RG "wanna be". Add on top of all that the belly cut? Seriously! If Fujigen did a good job putting all these pieces together- that guitar is one serious FU to the "good ole" boys in Nashville.
Yeah man, this one is all win. I'm incredibly impressed with it. It just plays so effortlessly, and just sounds eff-ing mean. I was a little surprised how well I liked the Nailbombs in it. I always gave them credit for being much more trebley than they sound in here. If it were my choice, I'd probably still go with a different BKP that cleans up a little better.

As to your comment re: stripping it, and metalhead's comment re: block inlays, I've already spec'd out my dream version in my head, and really it's just this guitar that's a bit more traditional and less brutish and menacing; badass figured maple top in a killer transparent finish, satin finish neck, with the MOP/Abalone inlays like my American Master and 83 AR300, Gold BKP Rebel Yells, gold hardware, and to go really crazy, a lo-pro edge....if they put one of these out with those specs, there would be no reason to even consider a Gibson LP Axcess.

Tags
ibanez arz6uc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode