NGD 6 of 6, a holy grail RG - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

NGD 6 of 6, a holy grail RG

Well the final guitar arrived and I could have almost cried. A 1998 RGR580PL. It was rated a 'B' at the store I bought it from and they lied. This thing looks like NOS. Not a mark, not a scratch, not a single mark anywhere. The cosmo black hardware has not a single pit or spot of corrosion. It has all its hang tags and tools and trem arm, none of which appear to have been used.

This ticks almost every box for many people, myself included. It's white, reverse headstock, maple board, original Edge trem, MAHOGANY BODY and it's perfectly clean.

Vault Boy approves of this guitar.

And a family shot of my RG's, minus my old greenie RG550 and my 7321.

I think my RG GAS is satiated for the moment. Not much more I could want from one that I don't already have in the collection.

However I did end up purchasing one more guitar on a whim yesterday but that doesn't arrive till next week. This time it's NOT and RG or a Caparison which for me is unusual. XD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: NGD 6 of 6, a holy grail RG

Congratulations, you just won the internet

Last edited by jono; 12-04-2015 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Ok, I'm old, British and have no idea what winning the Internet entails. But, i like this guitar...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 08:12 PM

you scored some nice guitars, especially the conditions.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Cheers gents. Japan has this crazy obsession with having everything new and as such, used gear is almost always impeccable and the stuff that isn't can be had at bargain basement prices.

My personal preference however is for well worn guitars as I always end up thrashing them hard. XD
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 05:27 AM

Wow your RGR580 has a much cleaner fingerboard than mine. I have that same guitar though, got it about a year ago. I LOVE the Wizard II neck, and glad another Jemsiter got one to be a 580 brother with me
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Version_6 View Post
Cheers gents. Japan has this crazy obsession with having everything new and as such, used gear is almost always impeccable and the stuff that isn't can be had at bargain basement prices.

My personal preference however is for well worn guitars as I always end up thrashing them hard. XD
Not really, I've seen some insane beaters over here (My RG550CA was a major beater guitar). Speaking of my 550, I used it, along with my old TS9DX, to get a discount on my 580
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 05:41 AM

Version_6:

Here are some pics of my 580, just so you can see proof of our brotherhood

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Not really, I've seen some insane beaters over here (My RG550CA was a major beater guitar). Speaking of my 550, I used it, along with my old TS9DX, to get a discount on my 580
Oh I'm not saying there's no such thing as a beater over there. They can do them to the extreme. I regularly pick them up for myself for either parts or live guitars. However generally used stuff is pretty clean and when it is marked it sells pretty cheap because of the general culture.

Nice, always good to see someone with the same uncommon model.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Oh I'm not saying there's no such thing as a beater over there. They can do them to the extreme. I regularly pick them up for myself for either parts or live guitars. However generally used stuff is pretty clean and when it is marked it sells pretty cheap because of the general culture.

Nice, always good to see someone with the same uncommon model.
Yeah especially something as cool as an RGR580.

I recommend putting dimarzio Evos in it. They sound incredible The stock V6s sound like a screaming baby. Terrible pups.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

I don't mind the V6's, much better then the V7s, but I prefer something different.

I'm tossing up between
Duncan Custom Custom
Duncan Distortion
Dimarzio PAF Pro
Dimarzio Norton

Thankfully I have hundreds of screws I sourced that I can direct mount pickups without having to drill them out and ruin their resale value.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 01:29 AM

Quote:
I don't mind the V6's, much better then the V7s, but I prefer something different.

I'm tossing up between
Duncan Custom Custom
Duncan Distortion
Dimarzio PAF Pro
Dimarzio Norton

Thankfully I have hundreds of screws I sourced that I can direct mount pickups without having to drill them out and ruin their resale value.
Why not try the Duncan Perpetual Burn? It sounds awesome
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I tried one before in another mahogany RG I had (An RG520) and wasn't too fussed on it. Nice enough but didn't do what I wanted. Sounded great in basswood and alder but not mahogany.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah I tried one before in another mahogany RG I had (An RG520) and wasn't too fussed on it. Nice enough but didn't do what I wanted. Sounded great in basswood and alder but not mahogany.
Sounds good in Swamp ash supposedly. Sucks that it doesn't sound good in Hog though.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 07:16 AM

This white rg/maple neck combo is just the perfect guitar. I have no idea how you guys found them. No doubt you're good with sourcing. The maple fretboards look really clean (not pale). Do you like the tinted look better or the natural look?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeesan View Post
This white rg/maple neck combo is just the perfect guitar. I have no idea how you guys found them. No doubt you're good with sourcing. The maple fretboards look really clean (not pale). Do you like the tinted look better or the natural look?
In my case, I live in Japan and a local used shop had it in so I just took a short train ride and a bit of a walk and picked it up. This is a Japan market model so it wasn't sold outside Japan.

Tags
ibanez , ngd , rgr580

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode