NGD: 8 String - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

NGD: 8 String

I really need to quit being out of work. After last weeks Tele NGD. I went out and spent more money I shouldn't have on this:

Specs:
Mahogany Body
5 piece maple/walnut neck-thru body design with headstock matching body
Rosewood fretboard with 15” radius. Width 2 ” at the nut
Neck profile (thickeness): 7/8" at the nut 7/8" at the 12th fret
Scale Length: 28.625” 24 Jumbo Frets
Cephius Alpha Pickup
String through body
Die-cast Grover sealed tuners model GH305-18 with 18-1 ratio for fine tuning
Graphite Nut
Satin Polyurethane Finish

Usually I try to stay away from Korean instruments, but as far as I know there isn't much out there in the way of 8 strings, and I'm not sure how much this will get used, but after the first few hours I can see it getting used A LOT, although not in my current band.

The pickup routes suck (probably so EMGs or something will fit without modification, but in addition to being big they aren't done very neat) , there are a few spots that buzz and the neck pickup is either too weak or defective but if this is still more than a novelty in a few weeks I will upgrade all the electronics so it's not really a big deal

Last edited by elcid; 07-20-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:36 AM

Re: NGD: 8 String

those pickup routes are indeed for emgs or seymours. Mine came with routes that fit the actual pickup so i had to rout it out to fit my blackouts.

I am VERY happy with my agile 8 string and would recommend agile to anyone.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:58 AM

congrats !

some of the Intrepids come with an "active" PU routing and passives PU

not a bad initiative if you plan to put active PU in it, but if not, it's not nice

do you have bought it new ?

Last edited by Agent540; 07-21-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: mispelling
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:50 AM

Reviews: 11

Congrats! God damn you people buying all these 8 string beasts. Oh well, I'm glad I'm getting (read: making) my own custom 8 string.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 07:14 AM

Play some Skynard man. FREEBIRD WOOT!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Agent, I bought it new
I'll wait until my Mark V show up before I make any final decisions, but I'm leaning towards replacing the pickups, but I don't know off many 8 string pickups out there. It looks like EMG may be the only way to go, which isn't really a bad thing. I saw Bare Knuckles has some, but they are more than I want to spend.

CD
I can't play Freebird, but I can play the hell out of some Rick Astley and Creed
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:19 PM

I want a vid of you playing Rick Astley hahahaha.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Edit:

Hmmm, maybe I will work on that this weekend.

Last edited by elcid; 07-21-2010 at 11:06 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:17 AM

I'd like to suggest some 8-string blackouts rather than emg's.. they're better sounding pups, at least to me.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the suggestion. If additional routing is need I probably wont go that route but any info is appreciated. I just got some inlay stickers from Custom Cuts. If I can get them on without taking off the strings I will put them on this weekend.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 06:49 PM

I think I read somewhere that these guitars were routed for extra space and the emg's/blackouts would go in without any additional routing. Don't take my word for granted though, I might be wrong about this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

My mistake I misread J.arledge's post.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 12:16 PM

Looks like a lot of fun! I can barely handle six, but if nobody was around listening I would love to give it a try.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 09:08 PM

+1 for the SDs Elcid. I'm after them too, for my RGA-8.

This might help a bit (I think he only uses delay so this must be close to the clean sound of the pickups)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFSTh...eature=related

Agiles are awesome (too bad we can't have them in Greece for a decent price).

Congrats on your new monster!!!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 05:16 PM

Yeah, that was kind of a weird decision they made to route the guitars for aftermarket, "active-sized" pickups (i.e. EMGs and Blackouts). However, my understanding is that they will actually be putting their stock, passive pickups into an active-size housing at some point, if they're not already, to make things simpler both for the factory and the end user. Why they went with the larger routes before the pickup housings were in circulation, I'll never understand.

It's still not a perfect world though. For those people that want to install say Lundgrens or Bareknuckles, now they may not be able to get an Agile with the right size routes and will have to live with either gaps or pickup rings. Still, reviews of the Cepheus pickups have been generally quite positive, so the majority of customers may not do a swap in any event.

I have an Intrepid from an earlier run with a single EMG 808 in the bridge, and I wish I had waited to get one pretty much exactly like what's shown here as the EMG is kind of lifeless and not having a neck pickup is somewhat limiting. I normally have no issue with EMGs, but something about the 808 just doesn't do it for me, even with the 18v mod.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode