NGD: '86 RG410 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

NGD: '86 RG410

For quite a few years I've been toying with the idea of having a single pu guitar. I did look at Kramers for a while but they were quite pricey and wasn't a fan of the slightly gumby upper horn. So once I got on the Ibanez gravy train anew (thank the gods for MIJ) I looked at the 1986 models, specifically the RG410.

Fast forward to 2013, I finally got one that came up. I've been working on it for the past month as I bought it just as neck and body, and had to fish around for hardware.

Yeah, I hate black but I hope to get it refin'ed sometime, some kind of loud red maybe.

Lucked out and found an '86 spec Edge in great nick. The PAF Pro sitting in my parts drawer also found a new home. I do have the original pu this would've come with but I already have one in another guitar, so, not interested.

Lots of swirling/scuffing on the body - it's been played a lot, but not much fret wear (don't think it's had a dress). The fingerboard has some pitting on the 2nd and 3rd frets too.

It sounds pretty good - has a nice throaty quality not unlike my '85 Roadstar. The PAF Pro seems quite balanced, with a bit of mid squawk the pu is known for, tight low, and bright top. I don't know if it'll stay there forever, but for now it's fine.

Neck still needs to settle - the truss-rod is fairly loose and there's a small amount of relief, bit more than two days ago when I strung her up, gods know how long she'd been sitting in pieces. Might also need to go up a string gauge - using 9s in Eb at the moment, very slinky, but feel that 10s might be the way to go in the end.

Still a few things to do: trim the locking nut bolts as they sit proud of the nut (a Gotoh 41mm, not the original Top Lok III), treble bleed on the volume, and a light fret dress. Pretty pleased though; lot of fun to play - encourages experimentation with picking for dynamics and timbre colours because of the single pu, and the neck feels super.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 05:54 AM

Reviews: 11
Re: NGD: '86 RG410

Seriously cool, under rated guitars!!!!

I want one!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 AM

Reviews: 120

Great guitar, congratulations!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:28 AM

Reviews: 2

Nice find Ashur!!!!

As Penguin said, these are highly underrated guitars- even in the Ibanez community and here on Jemsite. People just dont know what these first year RG's are all about. Pure muscle, no flash hot rods.......... Very nice.

My sons bought me one last year for my B-day........ I seriously love this guitar, but you have to keep playing it. The neck thickness hurts my hand if I'm not used to it.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ng...er-121063.html
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

^^ Yeah, I remember when you got yours. Finish is way cooler than all black!

I think part of the issue with '86 guitars is the fact that not many shipped/sold, as the Yen was quite high at the time, so many of them (Proline in particular) cost the same as or more than American guitars, and people weren't biting.

Well, I play classical guitar as well, so any electric neck is skinny . I really like it – reminds me a bit of a JS – and the oil finish is the perfect thing. I steer away from modern RGs because I can't stand the Wizard, but these older guitars are just right for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Seriously cool, under rated guitars!!!!

I want one!
Do it , there's a couple on flea bay now, either in pieces or whole for not too much.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:16 AM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
Do it , there's a couple on flea bay now, either in pieces or whole for not too much.

hahaha...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 07:46 AM

Great guitar, I bought mine new in '86.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

^^ Nice! What colour is yours?

I've been playing this thing for the past few days, getting to 'know' it, and it kicks ar$e. PAF Pro has surprised me by its nice clean tone.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 10:42 PM

Cherry Ice - hey it was the 80s
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

No censure from me, it's one of my fave colours of the period.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 PM

i had one back in the day great guitar but i also..hated that neck ..lol congrats enjoy it

Tags
rg410 , roadstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode