NGD 88' Strat Plus - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

NGD 88' Strat Plus

I bought this the other day and it need a little bit of work. The Bridge was tarnished but after a little polish and eblow grease it shines very nice. Frets were in good shape but need a leveling so I did that (my first time) and a good job I must say so. A little Fret Doctor on the fingerboard and rich shine city. Vol Pot was scratchy so I replaced it and this thing is tone city.

Except for my first guitar which was a Hondo Strat copy this is my first real strat and I must say I dig it. Has so really cool sounds in it. Any extra set up tips from you experienced strat players would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 09:36 PM

Re: NGD 88' Strat Plus

MMMMM Strat Plus.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
MMMMM Strat Plus.
When you gonna post your guitars? Here is something you like to see.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:38 PM

Im waiting until my Tele project is done, then I will post that and my strat plus together. While I am a fan or scantily clad women, Carrie Fischer doesnt place very high on the list. Still, atleast its not that damn picture of the BRMR with the vine inlay.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:45 PM

I dunno, some of those costumes from the later Star Wars films were pretty enticing for a Sci Fi geek - you gotta remember, we get a lot more robots and starships than galactic princessess with sultry come-hither looks.......
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:48 PM

Oh, yeah, and a Strat set up tip - Strats feel a lot softer to play if the bridge is floating - it takes a lot of the perceived tension and stiffness out of the strings - of course if you break a string mid song you are in deep doo doo, but hey, that's what Strats are for!
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Oh, yeah, and a Strat set up tip - Strats feel a lot softer to play if the bridge is floating - it takes a lot of the perceived tension and stiffness out of the strings
Why is this the case? I mean, how does it work?
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 11:42 PM

Thats a nice looking strat.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
Thats a nice looking strat.
Thanks, it was hard to put down last night.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
Why is this the case? I mean, how does it work?
the bridge moves forward a little whenever you bend or vibrato, making it seem as if the string tension is looser. same thing for any floating bridge really.
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild View Post
the bridge moves forward a little whenever you bend or vibrato, making it seem as if the string tension is looser. same thing for any floating bridge really.
I have it set up as a hard tail atm with 5 springs on the claw. If I wana wammy I got my RGT220A.
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 06:14 PM

looks nice
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 07:04 PM

VERY NICE !!!
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I just can get over the sounds/tone from it. Especially in the neck pick up. I had always liked the "tubular" sound of the neck pick up but in this it is OMG. I dont know if it is the p/u, the guitar itself, or the fact that it is 22 frets and the whole neck pick up under the harmonic node thing. I really don't want to start the whole 22 vs 24 debate but it does make me wonder.
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 PM

i owned a few strat plus in my time and the only thing i dislike about that version is the roller nut , the newer ones came with a better design

nice guitar all the same though

Tags
bridge pickup , classic strat , david mccarroll , ebony neck , fender strat , floyd rose , gold lace sensors , guitar shop , lace sensor , lace sensors , noiseless pickups , pearloid pickguard , strat bridge , strat plus , strat plus deluxe , strat sound , string tension , trem block , warmoth neck , white pearloid pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode