NGD: '89 540PSH - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

NGD: '89 540PSH

Actually got this a couple of weeks ago from Jack Secret but just got around to posting some pics. This one has been seen on here before. This one started out life as a white guitar, but Jack Secret needed a sea foam green axe in the arsenal and this is the result.

I wasn't wild about the color, but the guitar is in really great shape overall. There was virtually no fret wear and the logo is almost perfect (big deal for me) and there is some wear in the cosmo finish on the trem, but the fresh paintjob makes up for it. The color is actually starting to grow on me, but I still think this thing is destined for DY one of these days.

The guitar plays great and it probably had the best setup of any used guitar I've bought. The wide nut takes some getting used to, but once you do it's actually kind of nice if you play a lot of chords in that area of the neck.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: NGD: '89 540PSH

Awesome, and great colour too.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:39 AM

Beautiful guitar, really love the colour!!! Congratz!!!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 07:14 AM

Reviews: 4

Love the Colour.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 07:26 AM

Looks killer. -wait until I post my 540PII pics after it gets it's paint job!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvedmb View Post
Looks killer. -wait until I post my 540PII pics after it gets it's paint job!
Looking forward to seeing it! Did you buy yours from Jack Secret as well?

Is yours actually a PII? I finally had to educate myself on what the different model numbers mean. I've always called every guitar with this shape a 540PII. Apparently they were sold in the US for two years ('89 and '90) as the 540P with a 22-fret neck and no pickguard. The were sold in Europe as a 540PII because for the first year ('88 I believe) they were sold concurrently with the original 540P. The 540PII has a 24-fret neck and a pickguard, although I feel I've seen one without a pickguard. The PII seems like it would be significantly harder to get in the States considering that they weren't sold here.

I finally get what people say about this guitar having limited upper fret access. I always thought that they meant the long horn gets in the way, but it's actually the fact that the cutaway is very narrow at the bottom. I'm glad I don't really play in that area of the neck.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 11:40 AM

Very nice!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Thanks all for the comments!

Looking forward to seeing it! Did you buy yours from Jack Secret as well?

Is yours actually a PII? I finally had to educate myself on what the different model numbers mean. I've always called every guitar with this shape a 540PII. Apparently they were sold in the US for two years ('89 and '90) as the 540P with a 22-fret neck and no pickguard. The were sold in Europe as a 540PII because for the first year ('88 I believe) they were sold concurrently with the original 540P. The 540PII has a 24-fret neck and a pickguard, although I feel I've seen one without a pickguard. The PII seems like it would be significantly harder to get in the States considering that they weren't sold here.

I finally get what people say about this guitar having limited upper fret access. I always thought that they meant the long horn gets in the way, but it's actually the fact that the cutaway is very narrow at the bottom. I'm glad I don't really play in that area of the neck.
Mine will not be an actual real model, but a completely custom job with the
540P body style. Yeah, I really don't know the model types for the particular
guitar and just assumed that they were all called that for some reason.
My bad... Mine will have a 24 frets and an AANJ instead of the actual 22 and
squared heel. I'm having a flip-flop paint job and a custom Ibanez decal.
It's being painted as I type this, and I bought it from the guy from E bay that
does the bodies. It was a rough cut and took me almost a week to actually get
the body to look decent. My paint guy is going to work on it to make it look
like the original from the factory. I'll post up some pictures as soon as I have
it in my hands.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 PM

What??? NGD w/o a refinish???

It must be in good shape... This is on my short list of guitars..

I have seen a couple of these just finished with tung oil... This has a mahogany body correct!!???

Anyways , Congrats!! Looks killer!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

This is a basswood body. This guitar really is in good shape and is behind a couple other projects before there's any action on new paint. I have a GMC build going on that should be indistinguishable from the genuine article and until that's done, any other projects are on the sidelines.

The only thing I think I'm going to do to this one for the time being is a new set of studs and I'm going to look at the knife edges. It isn't returning to tune after using the whammy bar, which is kind of annoying, so I'm hoping some new studs and cleaned up knife edges fix that. I'm also going to find some foam to go in the bottom of the trem cavity to give it a more OEM look.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 AM

Nice...I think that color looks great.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:41 PM

nice! i dig the color.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 PM

Beautiful!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode