NGD: '91 UCGR "Leather & Metal" - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

NGD: '91 UCGR "Leather & Metal"

Picked this one up recently from TAorama, who was a pleasure to buy from. He'd liquidated most of his UCGR collection a while back and had only held onto what he considered the best of the lot.

There were a few small issues with the guitar. The copper foil had begum to lift up in several places, most notably around the pickup routes. A small chunk of it is totally missing from around the single coil. I glued it all back down with super glue, smoothed the edges around the pickup routes and overall feel that I did a pretty decent job. Other than that the guitar was in almost mint condition. Andy (TAorama) said that he had these guitars as collector pieces and never played them.

These guitars are built by H&S and there are a few minor QC issues that I've never seen affect a MIJ Ibanez. The hole for the rear strap pin is drilled crooked and the neck sits far too low in the neck pocket. Even with the studs bottomed, the strings are like 3mm off the fretboard. I'm going to have to shim this thing up considerably to make it playable.

Other than that, this is a super cool guitar! On with the pics!

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: NGD: '91 UCGR "Leather & Metal"

Looks nice. Time for a full set-up it sounds like. That looks like a Fender style switch with the large switch tip on there. I've had four early '90's Ibanez guitars with that switch. My Cosmic Swirl has one and I know it is original to the guitar. So does my '90 RG550. I've been told by other members that the YM50 is stock but I'm beginning to think not after seeing yours. Congrats.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:51 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
These guitars are built by H&S and there are a few minor QC issues that I've never seen affect a MIJ Ibanez. The hole for the rear strap pin is drilled crooked and the neck sits far too low in the neck pocket. Even with the studs bottomed, the strings are like 3mm off the fretboard. I'm going to have to shim this thing up considerably to make it playable.
This, I suspect, isn't the only thing wrong with USRG's as Hoshino seems to never want to set foot in the US again manufacturing-wise. The neck pocket issue doesn't seem minor.
All the same VERY nice looking guitar! Kudos!
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
Looks nice. Time for a full set-up it sounds like. That looks like a Fender style switch with the large switch tip on there. I've had four early '90's Ibanez guitars with that switch. My Cosmic Swirl has one and I know it is original to the guitar. So does my '90 RG550. I've been told by other members that the YM50 is stock but I'm beginning to think not after seeing yours. Congrats.
This one has DiMarzio pots + switch. I was actually very surprised by that. I also bought a Surprise from him (not ready for NGD thread yet) and that has Ibanez pots and a YM-50 in it. Those were standard on the 500 Series wheras 700 Series got the VLX53 like a Jem. On that guitar, the switch is totally shotso I'm putting a VLX53 in there. He actually didn't even know, owing to never playing the guitar LOL.

The rest of the setup is on the money. The neck is great as most necks like this are and the truss rod functions perfectly. I just need to figure out how to address the neck pocket issue? I'm leaning towards making a basswood shim in the exact shape of the neck pocket. The hobby store by me sells basswood in all sorts of different shapes and thicknesses.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
This, I suspect, isn't the only thing wrong with USRG's as Hoshino seems to never want to set foot in the US again manufacturing-wise. The neck pocket issue doesn't seem minor.
All the same VERY nice looking guitar! Kudos!
Having owned a USRG made by Bunker Guitars, these aren't the same kind of issues. That guitar was junk, despite being a USRG30.

This is a problem I can easily correct. I have two other UCGR's and both of them are on par with an MIJ guitar. Before the original USA Custom series, H&S assembled all the Roadstar Pro guitars (includes the original Saber, Radius and Power). I have an '89 540P that is great.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 01:25 PM

Reviews: 34

The older I get, the more I like guitars with chicks on the front.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

LOL I hear you! I'd never been interested in this particular graphic before, but when I saw it for sale, I said to myself, "Nothing is more 80's than a guitar with a chick on the front. I need to buy this!"
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 01:48 PM

very nice guitar love the graphic total 80s shredder congrats
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 01:53 PM

Reviews: 21

My bad. I had Bunker and H&S mixed up in my head for a moment.
It's in great condition too.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 02:02 PM

Super cool guitar. Great score!!!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 PM

Awesome score!

I saw that FS thread just a little too late... If you ever decide to let it go, throw me a PM
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
My bad. I had Bunker and H&S mixed up in my head for a moment.
It's in great condition too.
Yeah, definitely not the same type of issues. The biggest issues I had with the Bunker USGR were the neck and frets. Total garbage out of the factory. I was able to get the frets leveled correctly, but the tech had to do quite a bit with the neck to get it to behave. Even then, it went out of adjustment constantly. I found it funny that the neck was the part they touted so much about that guitar. They also claimed it had a AAA quilted maple top, which was in no way true.

Overall this guitar is in really great shape. I'm looking forward to shimming up the neck and getting it playable.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 25

Yeah, Taorama gave up his babies to make us happy, and for that I thank you good sir.. I ended up with 4 of his UCRG's... Trick or treat was a difficult one for him to sell to me, but I managed to convince him

Nice score !!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all!

I ended up with this one and Surprise from TAorama and just before that I'd picked up a Strung Out. Those two guitars aren't ready for prime time yet, but I'm working on them. The Surprise is really close to as nice as this one, just haven't had time to do my usual tear down and cleanup. Strung Out will need a little bit more work.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 7

This was always on of my favorites.....post more pics when you can....

And I have to say, I love my USRG30, I had it worked on when I first got it as an initial setup and its been playing great over all these years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode