NGD: '93 RG770 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

NGD: '93 RG770

Here's a new axe that came my way recently, a '93 RG770. I recently decided that all my guitars were apartment queens and that I needed one "player" in the mix, a guitar that I wouldn't mind playing live, hacking up to install crazy electronics or painting.

I set my sights on either a '92 or '93 RG760 or RG770. I like these because they have direct-mount pickups. The 760 I believe is extremely hard to find, as it was only sold in '92 with direct-mount pups. I also wanted a black guitar because I wanted a black headstock. I dreamed about the USA Custom guitars as a kid, which were based off of 700 series guitars and all had black headstocks.

So much to my luck, there was someone on here selling a '93 RG770 in black for a very reasonable price. This guitar is everything I was looking for. I has pretty minimal play time, so the frets are all great and overall the body is in really nice shape. It also has a beautiful super dark rosewood board...almost black. And it even has some nice edge chips along the back near the input jack and some scratches from what I'm assuming was a leather jacket. I love this because now I don't have to worry about marking up a pristine beauty. Anyways, enough of my chatter and on to the pics!

I find the last picture funny because there is a drivers license number engraved in the trem cover. Apparently, this guy had a bunch of stuff stolen from his house when he was a kid, including his first guitar, which was some cheap POS. The insurance gave him way too much money for the guitar and he ended up getting this one with the insurance money. His mom had him engrave his drivers license number on there in case it ever got stolen...LOL.

Future plans for this include a Sustainer and Tron artwork. I'm hugely nerdy about Tron and was totally obsessed with custom painted guitars as a kid (hence the USA Custom obsession).

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 08:36 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: NGD: '93 RG770

Gorgeous Dude!!! when the hell were these pics taken??? 1993??? It looks brand spankin new!!!

If you don't mind my asking....how much was it. I've been searching for a 93 770LB for ages, but the prices are ridiculous now a days......
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Jeez, Jesse--that's a beauty, and looks like it's in primo condition! Now, go slap some purple humbuckers in that thing and a purple headstock decal...

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 PM

she's pristine!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 PM

Sweet, I love 770's, have owned a good few, massively underrated guitars, right up there imho!!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:53 PM

very nice 770..i ve got a purple pearl rg770 these guitars were the format 4 the jems i believe gilbert vai used them i ve heard..i love mine hope u love urs...question tho my back place says north hollywood calif..does any body no anything about these 770s ibz america f4 in neck c3 in middle f2 in bridge ..i d love any info ..from you ibanez gurus ty
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnosferatu2 View Post
very nice 770..i ve got a purple pearl rg770 these guitars were the format 4 the jems i believe gilbert vai used them i ve heard..i love mine hope u love urs...question tho my back place says north hollywood calif..does any body no anything about these 770s ibz america f4 in neck c3 in middle f2 in bridge ..i d love any info ..from you ibanez gurus ty
You might want to start a new thread for those questions......... Let's not Hi-Jack Jesse's amazing NGD!!!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

LOL, this guitar isn't pristine, but it's really nice. There are two cracks in the clear on the top, which you can barely see as faint white vertical lines in the 3rd pic. There's also a small chip at the very edge of the bridge pickup cavity on the treble side (look closely at 3rd pic). On the back there are some edge chips near the input jack, which don't show up well against the tan background. There's the one scratch you can easily see and along the back edge near the rear strap pin, there are a lot of scratches in the clear. The guitar also had a large dull spot on the contour where your right arm would rest when playing. You can also see the cosmo finish worn off the edge of the trem. I'm assuming that the guy wore something like a biker jacket a lot while playing this.

I take a lot of care in cleaning and setting up guitars. I pulled this one apart but left the pickups in and buffed the whole body using the ColorTone swirl remover from Stew Mac along with a foam pad.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishin...Compounds.html

I have the medium and fine compounds, but I skipped them on this guitar for time. I've found that the swirl remover does a pretty nice job all by itself. I've also found that naptha does an absolutely masterful job of cleaning cosmo hardware. Other than that, most of what I do is straight off of Rich's site, other than pulling more stuff apart to be able to clean it better.

I paid $525 shipped for this guitar. There were a few 92/93's on eBay recently, although all for more than this, but they appear to be gone now.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
LOL, this guitar isn't pristine, but it's really nice. There are two cracks in the clear on the top, which you can barely see as faint white vertical lines in the 3rd pic. There's also a small chip at the very edge of the bridge pickup cavity on the treble side (look closely at 3rd pic). On the back there are some edge chips near the input jack, which don't show up well against the tan background. There's the one scratch you can easily see and along the back edge near the rear strap pin, there are a lot of scratches in the clear. The guitar also had a large dull spot on the contour where your right arm would rest when playing. You can also see the cosmo finish worn off the edge of the trem. I'm assuming that the guy wore something like a biker jacket a lot while playing this.

I take a lot of care in cleaning and setting up guitars. I pulled this one apart but left the pickups in and buffed the whole body using the ColorTone swirl remover from Stew Mac along with a foam pad.

I have the medium and fine compounds, but I skipped them on this guitar for time. I've found that the swirl remover does a pretty nice job all by itself. I've also found that naptha does an absolutely masterful job of cleaning cosmo hardware. Other than that, most of what I do is straight off of Rich's site, other than pulling more stuff apart to be able to clean it better.

I paid $525 shipped for this guitar. There were a few 92/93's on eBay recently, although all for more than this, but they appear to be gone now.
I was looking at them...... but $1000 for a player condition????? not me...... I found that RG750 ridiculously cheap, but my wallet ran dry before I could get it.............lol. I'm hoping the guy still has it in a week or so, then I'll have the funding again.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 PM

BTW Rich.... Yes, I paid Brosa in full.....lol. I even threw in a couple extra bucks for the trouble I caused him.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post

Are the cracks in the clear only? or all the way through??
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
BTW Rich.... Yes, I paid Brosa in full.....lol. I even threw in a couple extra bucks for the trouble I caused him.
Sweet!! I don't think anyone on here ever doubted you Ryc. Glad to hear it worked out okay!!!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Sweet!! I don't think anyone on here ever doubted you Ryc. Glad to hear it worked out okay!!!

Thanks Dude... I think I doubted myself a bit though......... I should have NEVER let it get that way.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dude... I think I doubted myself a bit though......... I should have NEVER let it get that way.
Sh*t happens Ryc, it happens to the best of us and will get in the way of good intentions, sometimes things are out of our hands and that does suck, you'd never rip someone off, we know that.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I was looking at them...... but $1000 for a player condition????? not me...... I found that RG750 ridiculously cheap, but my wallet ran dry before I could get it.............lol. I'm hoping the guy still has it in a week or so, then I'll have the funding again.
There was a really nice condition purple '93 that was sitting at $600 for a long time on Buy It Now. There's a guy currently selling what he claims to be a dead mint black '93 for $750. Not sure if I've seen any LB ones. There was a nice white 750 on there the other day. Strangely, the neck on mine is actually stamped RG750.

And the cracks...just in the clear. Like the previous owner bumped the guitar into something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode