NGD: '99 RG7620 (The Ibanez I wanted when I got my first 7...) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

NGD: '99 RG7620 (The Ibanez I wanted when I got my first 7...)

I started playing 7-strings back in '99, right when the boom for these happened and the demand was huge for them. I had ordered one of these from a store, but wound up with it's hardtail counterpart - an RG7621 - instead. At the time, I didn't mind not having the trem, as I preferred the fixed bridge anyway. And oddly enough, very shortly after I sold this particular one, I wound up finding a killer deal on a really good shape '91 UV7BK Black & Green Universe. After many years - and too many guitars to keep count at this point - I have been wanting another Ibanez RG 7-string again, due to taking home a killer Premium RG920MQM in dead mint shape. After more than a decade of being an ESP/LTD die-hard, I have come back to the Ibanez stuff with a serious longing for the right RG7.

So after looking at the new RG7421's, and browsing Ebay, Craigslist & Reverb, the right one came to light. And it was an offer I couldn't pass up, especially for the price. I found this on my local Craigslist and jumped on it immediately after a prior deal for my RG920MQM and cash fell thru for a Prestige S5527 in Purple Doom Burst. The score: a '99 RG7620BK for $350!!!

While it's not mint, it's in really good shape and plays incredible, which is what I was hoping for. Despite a few small dings in the edges of the body, the hardware isn't pitted or corroded, the frets are in good shape, and we'll worth snagging for the price. It has a B/W/B pickguard on it, giving it that "Silver Dot" Universe vibe and look, which is something else about it I fell in love with. It has the stock neck pickup, and a DiMarzio Ionizer 7 in the bridge, in which i dont really care for too much. It sounds good, but has this tonality to it that is offsetting for me to warrant replacing it. So needless to say, I am going to begin my conversion process on this to make it a "Silver Dot" UV replica. Since the originals are nearly impossible to find, I got a killer candidate to start with and needs minor parts to complete the conversion.

There are 2 issues I am having regarding the conversion process though. One is obviously the pickups. But the main issue is the pickguard. I am kinda curious about using a modified UV pickguard on this as long as the humbucker and control routes are in the same positions, and have made a separate thread regarding the info I seek about that... but if worse comes to worse, I am going to have WD make the new ones for me for this anyway.

And as for the pickups issue, I am thinking one of two things:
*If an outright custom "Silver Dot" conversion, going with the SD Black Winter 7 set & a Custom Shop 7-string SSL-6 Custom Flat Tapped Version for the middle single coil. This will also wind up getting wired like the Ibanez Tosin Abasi model, but with a concentric pot for the 2 humbucker volumes, and the push/pull will be the middle single coil volume and coil tap... (I find I get more tonality blending with each pickup having its own volume, and I NEVER use the tone control anyway...).
*If I am leaving it the 2 humbuckers, considering either the Black Winter 7's, or the new DiMarzio Imperium 7 set...
(Gave some thought to the passive sized EMG 81-7H's in the new normal black plastic housings or the Fishman Fluence Modern 7 set, but am going to wind up putting the Fishman's into my '67 Flying V 7-string... So this is leaving me - and both of my Ibanez's with passives.)

Attached is the pic of the new toy. Let me know what you guys would recommend out of the pickup choices I listed you would rather go with.

Thanks as always!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170301_210431.jpg (93.7 KB, 38 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 05:39 AM

Re: NGD: '99 RG7620 (The Ibanez I wanted when I got my first 7...)

You could go with white pickups like I did.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
You could go with white pickups like I did.
Am still considering it, but am still torn between what correct I really want them - black or white... I will debate it while I gather to coin for the new pickups, whichever ones I decide on... although it does look sweet. Just add the pearl & abalone pyramid inlays and you'd have the 7-string JEM equivalent, just minus the monkey grip and Lion's claw...
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:57 AM

very nice

Tags
conversion , rg7620 , silver dot , uv7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode