NGD... The Anti-Jem Swirl - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

NGD... The Anti-Jem Swirl

Thanks to 63Blazer for coming up with the name Anti-Jem for this swirl!

I spent all day yesterday finishing this project and set her up last night. Unfortunately there's no sun out here today in Upstate NY, but I took her outside for some pics anyway....

It started out as an RG570 and I did a little work on it along the way. Cut a monkey grip, dug out the lion's claw, swirled, cleared, redid the headstock logo, leveled/crowned/buffed the frets, reshaped the neck a little at the heel, stripped the neck and did an oil finish...

She plays effortlessly the action is so low, and it screams!!! My new favorite guitar

Here's the project thread if anyone is interested http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/rg...ct-125055.html

Last edited by Swirltop; 02-16-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 12:43 PM

Re: NGD... The Anti-Jem Swirl

Fine job man, great looking guitar. Well done!!!
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 12:45 PM

Thumbs up Re: NGD... The Anti-Jem Swirl

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Love it.
The only problem according to my tastes is that fugly rosewood fingerboard ibanez keep using, I hate it, all my guitars have it.
I love ebony(black) with white binding or maple(salmon and not yellow).
Besides fingerboard I love it.
What about some purple leds as inlays?
It'd look amazing at night, in the middle of snow with leds on!
Now you're part of Swirled Goddesses family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n9351jT5bk
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 12:59 PM

Reviews: 4

Man, that's a nice swirl....I love it.
What do you got for pickups?
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 PM

Glad to see the final product. Those are some great photos. how does it play?
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:14 PM

This may sound stupid, but quit your day job! That is completely gorgeous.

You can offer this swirl service to guitar players everywhere and do this of course for the right price.

But to do it in scale, it costs some to get all equipment plus takes time to set up studio but then you are golden. Advertise here and you will probably get some hits. Of course it won't be worth your money doing one or two, but with enough orders you can make a living or have it supplement your income.

My wife and I do custom art skateboards and have had individuals and businesses put in orders. We also got a couple of pros, too and if you have at least one high profile player, that could make a big difference. I think most luthiers started small like this and then it became a living. You know you have hit the peak of success if Ibanez themselves sends you a cease and desist order.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
Man, that's a nice swirl....I love it.
What do you got for pickups?
Thanks man... It has Guitarheads Hexbuckers, they are great pickups for metal and really scream. They are just as hot as an Evo, but a little less biting... I was going to put in a set of green Evos I have, but I really liked the look of the Hexbuckers a little more because they match the green in the swirl perfectly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaple View Post
Glad to see the final product. Those are some great photos. how does it play?
Thanks! It's the best playing guitar I own at the moment. After the fret level and crown, oiled neck, and my setup it plays perfectly
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
This may sound stupid, but quit your day job!

You can offer this swirl service to guitar players everywhere and do this of course for the right price.
I appreciate the compliment man! I'm not really interested in doing this as a job and taking orders though. I would maybe consider doing a few here and there for friends, but it's just a hobby for myself.

My back is too screwed up for me to be able to feel comfortable taking any orders. I really have no idea from one day to the next if I'm even going to be able to do more than sit up for awhile let alone keep up a decent schedule trying to get work done for customers in a reasonable amount of time. Hell it took me a month and a half just to finish up this one for myself
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
I appreciate the compliment man! I'm not really interested in doing this as a job and taking orders though. I would maybe consider doing a few here and there for friends, but it's just a hobby for myself.

My back is too screwed up for me to be able to feel comfortable taking any orders. I really have no idea from one day to the next if I'm even going to be able to do more than sit up for awhile let alone keep up a decent schedule trying to get work done for customers in a reasonable amount of time. Hell it took me a month and a half just to finish up this one for myself
I know what you mean. We are also not young.

The first skateboard we painted was a big and scary project but as we did it over and over it became much quicker and the body got used to it. There's a lot of physical work doing skateboards, too as we had to sand off screen printed art and couldn't use chemical strippers on maple laminated decks. I was a gardener for 20 years so I was kind of broken down.

Anyway, if you did it is there anybody young you can train to do the tedious part? You have a really great skill there that is totally marketable.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know what you mean. We are also not young.

The first skateboard we painted was a big and scary project but as we did it over and over it became much quicker and the body got used to it. There's a lot of physical work doing skateboards, too as we had to sand off screen printed art and couldn't use chemical strippers on maple laminated decks. I was a gardener for 20 years so I was kind of broken down.

Anyway, if you did it is there anybody young you can train to do the tedious part? You have a really great skill there that is totally marketable.
LOL...My son is 13, but he has no interest in guitars...he's a drummer
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
LOL...My son is 13, but he has no interest in guitars...he's a drummer
You heard it here first, but you can swirl some drum shells!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You heard it here first, but you can swirl some drum shells!
Oh I know...lol

My son wants me to do his kit... I told him he'd have to do all the work sanding and buffing, not to mention building a huge tank for swirling the bass drum... he changed his mind...for now
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Oh I know...lol

My son wants me to do his kit... I told him he'd have to do all the work sanding and buffing, not to mention building a huge tank for swirling the bass drum... he changed his mind...for now
One day somebody will swirl a Marshall 4x12 cabinet.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
One day somebody will swirl a Marshall 4x12 cabinet.
Now that would be an interesting dunk to watch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode