NGD - BC Rich Gunslinger Retro - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 15
NGD - BC Rich Gunslinger Retro

I started playing guitar around 1989. That makes the BC Rich Gunslinger Retro pretty much the awesome-est thing around at the moment. I couldn't resist :

It's made in Korea rather than the USA but all the right names are present and correct. An original Floyd Rose handles the whammy duties and DiMarzio supplied a Super Distortion humbucker. Just the one pickup, though; its the 80s, remember

In the 80s, the Very Metal Reversed Headstock was required by law on all guitars :

Grover kidney bean tuners do the job just fine :

Yellow guitar showdown. The BC loses the yellowness battle here. By comparison to the slightly faded 1989 Desert Yellow S540, the Gunslinger looks positively orange. Subjectively, it's a kind of NYC taxi yellow compared to the S540's neon insanity.

Is there any colour this thing doesn't look good in?

I love it. The raw maple neck is no super-skinny Wizard (think Wizard II with slightly more meat to it) but it feels soooo good, and the single pickup/single volume layout frees you up to get on with the playing.

The DiMarzio Super Distortion is warm enough to handle rhythms and leads without sounding out of place with either and the OFR does what it needs to. Yes, it's MIK but put your preconceptions to one side and you're left with an awesome rock guitar.

For a lot more rambling about the Gunslinger Retro, see my full Jemsite review : http://www.jemsite.com/compare-electric-guitars/BC-Rich-Gunslinger-Retro/reviews/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 06:34 PM

Re: NGD - BC Rich Gunslinger Retro

effen righties...
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 06:40 PM

Reviews: 11

Nice. 80's are back better than ever.. That bc rich almost looks orange when compared to the ibbys. I'm a huge bright-color-80's-hairmetal-thing fan and I absolutely love that photochop you did with the different colors. It's like OMG. Why the heck isn't any company doing this neon stuff in a bigger scale? I mean like a whole guitar lineup full of 80's neoncolor-guitars. I'd be all over them.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

For 2010, they've added this to the range :

They've also started using Rockfield pickups instead of DiMarzio, though.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:12 AM

haha! this reminds me of a pink/white burst snakeskin gunslinger we used to have in a pawn shop here where i have bought a ton of axes! my rg770dxvm was there, too. i almost got that particular guitar. thanks for the bit of nostalgia!

rich
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:28 AM

i need to pick one of these up. the pickups in the rg are they red or pink ?
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 06:19 PM

Looks awesome!

But that group shot actually shocked me!
Whilst still being yellow, the Gunslinger is really a lot softer than the Ibanez'!

It's a pity that now they're using rockfield pickups, I wanted to nab one of those badboys up with DiMarzios!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

It's never too early to start modding. Methinks it needs a Tremol-No / D-Tuna combo...
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 01:23 PM

I've got the Retro Blade model.
I love it. The neck is really thin and fast, with normal jumbos.

However, I don't like how the OFR radius is ~12", and the neck is ~12"-16", giving inconsistent action frets ~16-22.

Other than that its great. I put a Tone Zone and a Fast Track 2 in mine. Along with a trem stop.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE View Post
Methinks it needs a Tremol-No / D-Tuna combo...
And it was done :

Then it just needed some retro graphics :

The yellow Nobease volume knob finishes it off nicely, IMHO.

To give enough clearance to the D-Tuna, the bridge needed to be jacked up a fair bit. Consequently, the neck needed a decent shim in order to bring the action back down. NB - Sony DDS backup tape inlays are a perfect width to cut up for neck shims.

With the neck shimmed and everything set up, it plays just as well as it ever did, and you wouldn't know there was all that extra stuff attached to the bridge.

For anyone who doesn't know how a Tremol-No works :

With all 3 thumbscrews unlocked, the bridge is full floating just as before. The only difference is that your spring claw is now a chunky piece of aluminium and it's locked solid to the spring tension screws.

Lock the thumbscrew closest to the claw and the bridge is now dive-only (this is what allows the D-Tuna to work without everything pulling sharp when you drop down to D).

Lock the 2 thumbscrews closest to the block and you have a hardtail - the bridge is fully locked.

It all does what it says in the tin. I'm not sure how often I would use the Tremol-No if it wasn't for the D-Tuna (at least not with a locking nut) but in tandem they work just great.

With the Gunslinger finished, I put a Dimarzio Tone Zone and a DiMarzio push/pull pot (wired for coil tap) into my Hello Kitty Strat and then had a pint to celebrate the awesome :

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 03:29 PM

I don't see why the Rockfield switch bothers so many guys. You can pick up a Super D for $50 and make a swap. However I just got a BC with the Rockfield Mafias and I find them to be a far better pickup than a Super D. Granted I'm not a big fan of the Super D to begin with. They should have used a Tone Zone in the first place IMO.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdragon View Post
I don't see why the Rockfield switch bothers so many guys. You can pick up a Super D for $50 and make a swap.
You answered your own question..."pay $50". Are the new models with the Rockfields less expensive than the previous one with the DiMarzio?

If not, B.C. Rich had done exactly what everyone does and will continue to do until we're all playing guitars $2000 guitars that cost $0.50 to make with near-slave labor in some obscure south Asian island country. You just pay more for less. Quality goes down, but of course price cannot because then the whole venture would be pointless.

I'm exaggerating, of course, but you get the idea.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:23 PM

How many of us really leave the stock pickups in anything? I know I swap pickups in almost every guitar I buy. As for the Rockfields I have not changed tem yet and probably wont. They are pretty good and are USA made and cost aroound the same price as a Dimarzio if you buy them new. Worst case you spend $50 on a Dimarzio and sell the Rockfield for $25. You spend $25 for a Dimarzio. These new BC Riches are well worth what they sell for. I almost bought a brand new green gunslinger with hardcase a few weeks back for $529 shipped. Not a bad price at all.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:41 PM

You are correct, but you cannot deny that having a well-known, well-liked name brand pickup in your guitar is still a selling point.

BTW, if anyone's going to swap the pickup out of their Gunslinger, I'd get one of these. I might do this on my Kramer Focus one of these days.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...8_model_great/

So much for spending $50 on a pickup, eh?
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:55 PM

Actually most of my pickups swaps are done with BKP's so yeah so much for $50 This one ran a little more than $50

Tags
80s , bc rich , gunslinger , spandex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode