NGD - A brace of RGT42s - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 15
NGD - A brace of RGT42s

A schoolboy error on the Bay netted me not one but two RGT42s by mistake. Oops - never assume you're not going to win an item just because you're only 1 in the lead with a week to go.

One is a 2004 RGT42BP (according to the 2004 catalogue) and is in amazingly good condition for a 5 year-old guitar - one tiny little dent on the front but everything else is like new. The seller even supplied all the allen keys, some spare saddle screws for the Edge Pro 2 and a pair of trem posts.

It's pretty grey for a "black pearl" finish - go figure.

The other is a 2005 RGT42DXFMTL (I think). This one has got a lot of wear to all the powder cosmo bits (I replaced the vol/tone knobs with some spares as they were particularly iffy-looking). The finish is pretty faded and worn in places, so it's more purple than blue. Very little fretwear, though, and the two-tone sharktooth inlays are very groovy.

So, a pair of fine guitars for less than a new one would have cost at the time. My first thought was to sell the FM on straight away, then I thought I might swap all the hardware over from the BP to give me the best of both worlds (that transparent finish, particularly on the back where you can see the maple neck, is too good to lose).

Having restrung them both and set them up (the BP had crazy high action, partly because its trem was angled too far forward, and the FM was the exact opposite), I decided to hang on to the both of them.

Shout out to the Cort factory here, they both feel extremely well put together and the contour lines at the "neck joint" are perfect. At some point one of them might gain some active pickups, MTM1-stylee, but for the moment they're fine as is. They already sound pretty huge, which must have something to do with the neckthru' construction as it's certainly not down to the stock INF pickups.

Last edited by MarkE; 09-13-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Re: NGD - A brace of RGT42s

Congratz X2 mate!!!! Very nice. Love both but the Purple flamed one is better looking for me although the BP model is sweet as well. Nice to have the 2 I suppose.

I take it you thought you weren't going to win the first guitar that you bid on so you put in a bid on the other model as well and won both?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Congratz X2 mate!!!! Very nice. Love both but the Purple flamed one is better looking for me although the BP model is sweet as well. Nice to have the 2 I suppose.
The purple one is definitely a looker, which is why I couldn't bring myself to just sell it on straight away. Satin finish is a bit different as well.

Quote:
I take it you thought you weren't going to win the first guitar that you bid on so you put in a bid on the other model as well and won both?
That's exactly what happened, yes. I usually set my maximum bid price at the start to resist the temptation to get carried away if I get outbid, and as I was so close I never thought I would win the first one (the BP). When the flamed one came up I stuck a bid in on that one as well.

End of the day, the grey one cost me 250 and the purple one 200, so I'm not too unhappy.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 05:43 PM

Well you got 2 for the price of one mate. They usually retail for around 450-500 I think. The inlays on the purple one are gorgeous as well!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 06:08 PM

Two very nice examples of why i like Ibanez so much. I mean look at those guitars...how could you not like that!! Not only are Ibanez Prestige guitars amazing but their lower end stuff compared to similar priced guitars from other companies are also the best out there imo. After seeing those pics,i really can`t wait to get my RG321MH.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 12:13 AM

I got an RGT42bp myself and its my main player. Just swap out the stock pups, block the trem, and the thing is a real beast.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

So this week I have mostly been loving the flamed one but I sat down last night with the grey one to give it some attention.

Not sure how I didn't pick up on this previously, but there's a tiny problem with the intonation :

On the plus side, it looks nice and neat and tidy like that . On the downside, not so good for being in tune everywhere on the neck...

No idea why it's been reset like that as it obviously didn't come out of the factory that way. Oh, well, time to break out the allen keys again.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 11:06 AM

Yeah man, I'm thinking that the previous owner has thought the staggered saddle 'look' wasn't a good thing so he thought he'd even them all up, keep it nice and uniform looking, lol!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 03:50 PM

I did the same 'bay boo boo when I won 2 DT420's the same day. Good score on the neck thru's.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
I did the same 'bay boo boo when I won 2 DT420's the same day. Good score on the neck thru's.
There's no such thing as too many Destroyers

The RGTs are fantastic - I can see now what the neck thru' fuss is all about.

Intonation is reset now on the grey one. Oddly enough, it wasn't a million miles out to begin with. With 9-gauge strings and the trem angle set correctly, all of the saddles are still well back on the baseplate, with the screws in the rear position on every one.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

The grey one just got a set of Blackouts. Full writeup to follow...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 07:25 AM

Awesome. I own an 03 BP rgt42. Same exact thing. The old korean bp's are basswood and the newer indo dx models like the see thru paint one is mahogany. I put some Blackouts in mine as well. Excellent guitar but just lacks in the looks dept with solid paint and dot inlays.

Tags
rgt42

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode