NGD + bridge problems :( - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

NGD + bridge problems :(

So I got my first Ibanez about a week ago. Ibanez 1997 S540 MIJ. It is a sexy beast. here are some pics for all of you.

Why not throw in a pic of some other gear?

I love this guitar and I want to resolve this problem with out getting rid of it. But the Lo-Pro is supposed to be one of the best floating trems out there and the tuning stability on mine is crap. It will never stay in tune! I don't even need to use the trem bar and it goes out of tune after 10 minutes of playing or less! Not to mention it takes at least 5 minutes to get it tuned with the fine tuners. The strings have been stretched and the guitar was setup by a professional who works as a guitar tech in music stores not to mention he has about 8 other Ibanez guitars. The tuning stability was even worse when I first got it but I stretched the strings and it got a bit better. What could be wrong other than the setup? Could you send me a link to how to set up a lo pro trem? I'll give that a shot and then return with the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 02:30 AM

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 03:25 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: NGD + bridge problems :(

Do a proper setup--sounds like an intonation problem.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:53 AM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Do a proper setup--sounds like an intonation problem.
Intonation wouldn't get better or worse with playing, though.

I'd go with trem studs not locked or nut loose on the neck, then maybe badly worn studs or knife edges.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:19 PM

I agree with MarkE
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

I just got off the phone with the guy I bought it from/set it up for me and he said it never had this problem in the year he had it.
He said it was most likely the saddles or possibly the nut pad. Although he was surprised there was any problems at all.

I'm so lucky that when I buy used gear I get good dudes. I bought my 6505 combo and the guy said the tubes were all good. I played it for a couple days and 2 of the preamp tubes were bad. When I bought it he told me to get tubes from him because he has a whole set of tubes for this amp that he's not going to be using. When I told him the tubes were bad he wanted to just trade back my valveking +the cash I gave him. But I was going to the studio soon and I asked if I could just have those tubes. He gave me 5 12ax7's and 2 6L6GC's. He could have told me to just **** off and say that it's my problem now but he didn't.

And the guy who I bought the S from is going to do everything he can to make it all good I'm sure of it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

I figured out the problem!!!
It was the nut pad. When I called the guy he said to take off the lock nuts, play it without using the bar and see if it holds a tune better and it did. Thanks for the help everyone.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:18 PM
VCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi79 View Post
I figured out the problem!!!
It was the nut pad. When I called the guy he said to take off the lock nuts, play it without using the bar and see if it holds a tune better and it did. Thanks for the help everyone.

No no.

Takes a bit of time to master these trems. It can be done with research and thought. If you need a new nut I would advise getting one. The internet will have what you need for under 40 bucks maybe under 30. Taking the pads off is NOT the fix, every time you bend a string, vibrate a string or just pluck it you are moving its original spot from the nut and the springs move in the rear. Everything needs to be rigid and proper.

There is a TON of info out there on setup and I will not touch it here. That guitar you have can stay in tune forever if it is done right. But it is best if you know how to do it and not spend money for techs who I have seen make a guitar worse. Hey, had it happen to me. Then I learned how to do it myself. So can you

Last edited by VCR; 10-17-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Used the word "****"

Tags
bridge , lopro , s540 , stability , tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode