NGD - But what is it? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

NGD - But what is it?

Happy NGD to me!

I picked this up at a local Music Go Round for 50 bones.... definitely seems like it's made out of plywood, but it plays like a dream! I love the neck (for some reason). The pickups are wired out of phase too, so that's cool.

I'm thinking it is a First Act based on the headstock and my guess that it's plywood since it weighs about 2 pounds. Anyone have any ideas? I can't find any info on a first act guitar that has this body/pickup configuration.

Let me know if you have any info. I'll post my own pictures once I clean it up and get it set up. Here's the one from the store website...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 PM

Re: NGD - But what is it?

Maybe first act,possibly silvertone?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Haven't been able to find anything silvertone-wise either, but I'm looking! Reminds me of my old Electra MPC headstock...

Anyways, I let this thing rip through my Zoom G3 -> studio monitors this evening. It absolutely destroys everything! I can't imagine the pickups are stock at this point, but haven't ripped it apart yet. Such
an amazing 'quack' with the pickups wired out of phase. And it has a really deep, tight growl for stoner metal/doom/metal which I can't stop playing. Great value once I adjusted the truss rod to get rid of the fret buzz. happy camper!

Pictures soon!
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 PM

$50 magic! Sweet man, I have a ply strat copy that just sings. Sometimes things just come together. Happy ngd

Last edited by GUITARMAGEDDON; 04-12-2013 at 08:44 AM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Here's a good question - while I am still in the honeymoon phase with this guitar, I'm also making some future plans.

Does anyone have advice on what kind of pickups would mathc well with the plywood body? Any experience?

Dimarzio Distortion is what I'm thinking right now, just putting feelers out there for any other info.

Also, side note: Has anyone used the Seymour Duncan Liberator solderless pickup system? How has that worked?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 12:23 PM

Reviews: 11

Plywood is actually heavy. Its more likely to be poplar. You can take the neck off to find out for sure though.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Ah, the neck comes off this weekend. Wifey has to write two papers for school AKA I get some alone time with my new music toy. I'm going to restring it and get it all set up, but you better believe I'm taking everything apart first. I will put up some pictures during that and maybe you can help me decipher what it's made of.

Someone definitely just painted it all over. It's definitely not professionally done, but it wasn't done by Michael J Fox either. I might use it to attempt my first "swirl" project, but still unsure.

Still in the hunt for pickup suggestions, too - stoner/groove metal, metal, maybe a little alternative - I rarely use a clean tone, so I'm looking for pickups in a hum/tele confiuration that will take to the distortion world well. Fire away!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 12:40 PM

Reviews: 11

Pickups boil down to two things -> budget and taste...

I always recommend dimarzios, they would have everything you need, just gotta figure out what you want.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

I had a USA Warlock a few years ago with Dimarzio Distortions in it and absolutely loved them. The guitar with the Kahler was entirely too heavy for me, so I sold it (plus I got the bubinga S1520 Prestige out of it).

I might go back to the Dimarzios... I guess I'm in for countless hours of pickup samples!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 01:31 PM

A swirl, sans pickguard, and some fancy DiMarzios would make this a killer instrument. It may be hard, but a swirled headstock and back of neck would be a nice touch. Somebody here did a neck and headstock swirl.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Oh if I swirl the body the headstock is getting done, too! The back of the neck is interesting...
Throw in some pink/green/blue Dimarzios? Haha. I love it!
What about the tele pickup in the neck, though? I've never had a tele, so I know nothing about them and I haven't dismantled the guitar yet - is it just a regular single coil under a metal cover? It looks much thinner...
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeel.6 View Post
Oh if I swirl the body the headstock is getting done, too! The back of the neck is interesting...
Throw in some pink/green/blue Dimarzios? Haha. I love it!
What about the tele pickup in the neck, though? I've never had a tele, so I know nothing about them and I haven't dismantled the guitar yet - is it just a regular single coil under a metal cover? It looks much thinner...
I would probably stick a colored DiMarzio strat pickup in the neck and swirl the inside of the pickup cavity, too. Maybe a hum cancelling Yngwie pickup would do well with an Evo humbucker. If you are really ambitious there are some nice Steve Vai tree of life fretboards for sale on eBay, too and you could Jem it out on every level.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:00 PM

nice dude, that's a sick deal for only 50! HNGD!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Attachment 3901

Attachment 3902

Attachment 3903

Last edited by jkeel.6; 05-17-2013 at 08:00 AM.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Attachment 3904

Attachment 3905

Last edited by jkeel.6; 05-17-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Tags
identify , ngd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode